Showcase: A-wing

By Piscopas, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Really good definition on the panel lines!

14 hours ago, Piscopas said:

Really good definition on the panel lines!

I wanted a 'comic book' appearance on my old xwing minis so black-lined the details with paint rather than using a wash like I usually would.

An A-Wing I commissioned

zuKKfkB.jpg

Great color blend on that rainbow!

On 4/28/2017 at 6:39 PM, Kharnvor said:

An A-Wing I commissioned

zuKKfkB.jpg

Maybe if I repaint a few of my ships in this fashion my wife will agree to play x-wing more often :lol: . I painted here a custom Rainbow Dash Firefly (though not even close to this amazing standard) which worked well for that game!

I tell ya, it looks impressive on screen, but when you see it in person and realize just how small all those details are, it's mind blowing. Worth every penny to have it painted like that.

If I had money trees all over my house, I'd commission the entire Mane 6 from that artist.

21077813_10159120325375316_2339410292556

Green Squadron reporting

QEHTjzX.jpg

yug2pjM.jpg

silver leader, standing by

My contribution to this consolidated showcase thread :)
Find the rest of my repaints here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/281697-wanoumars-repaints/

cPPyYaq.jpg

UC15Rfs.jpg

R0Y2RtD.jpg

Thanks for watching! :)

WanouMars

J6mATUB.png

This was the second X-Wing miniature I painted, and the first that I intended to use in an actual game. A green A-Wing is something I've wanted since I first got into the game. For the longest time, it was also the only thing I considered painting myself, but I kept holding out hope we'd get an official paint variant.

Once I broke into painting X-Wing miniatures, I thought about doing my own and started looking for references. I initially added the Green Squadron A-Wing card to my list, but I laughed when I looked at the image closer and realized that it was actually a standard A-Wing in strong lighting. However, it then occurred to me that the version of the A-Wing that I was misinterpreting would actually be a fun paint job to try to give it.

https://sb-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/card_art/Card_art_XW_P_21.jpg

So I painted the shaded red as a dark red/purple, the shadow from the wings a dark green color, and gave the whole thing a wash that made it look more grimy.

Edited by Jokubas
On 4/28/2017 at 12:39 PM, Kharnvor said:

An A-Wing I commissioned

zuKKfkB.jpg

Well somebody's A-Wing ended up about 20% cooler.

What do you guys use to get such defined panel lines?

Some folks let a dark wash do the work and is probably the easiest way to give the panel lines some definition. Research "pin washing" on youtube.

Others use pigment liner pens which in essence are very fine tipped markers.

Phoenix Squadron is constantly on the search for a base where they finally can find some respite and do some maintenance. No time to keep any fighters pristine.

RwVp6jRl.jpg

55j9xQGl.jpg

The lines may be ugly, but you've still gotta love your first paint job; here's the Wasp

10982286_10202875323804736_2113505468561620051_o.jpg

9 hours ago, Nyxen said:

The lines may be ugly, but you've still gotta love your first paint job; here's the Wasp

10982286_10202875323804736_2113505468561620051_o.jpg

That looks great. I love the yellow. I'm thinking about painting some B wings Blue and Yellow in a similar way but have never painted before. Thank you for showing off your first paint job. It definitely gives me hope that I wont ruin my ships

19 minutes ago, Amc879 said:

That looks great. I love the yellow. I'm thinking about painting some B wings Blue and Yellow in a similar way but have never painted before. Thank you for showing off your first paint job. It definitely gives me hope that I wont ruin my ships

Thanks, I've only got one paint job that I feel is "ruined" and that's only because I had a better idea on how to achieve what I wanted after finishing it.

That said; I've managed to clean up my lines since this but I still haven't figured out how people manage to make their ships look... Right? Like every time I paint something I can tell its a painted miniature, whereas other jobs on here look like they could be production models from a movie.

My one recommendation for your A's and B's is do the yellow first, the black will be much easier to clean up with.

Edited by Nyxen
3 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Thanks, I've only got one paint job that I feel is "ruined" and that's only because I had a better idea on how to achieve what I wanted after finishing it.

That said; I've managed to clean up my lines since this but I still haven't figured out how people manage to make their ships look... Right? Like every time I paint something I can tell its a painted miniature, whereas other jobs on here look like they could be production models from a movie.

My one recommendation for your A's and B's is do the yellow first, the black will be much easier to clean up with.

Well, if you base black, and leak yellow, it's VERY easy to fix. So in general, I would advise to start dark! 😛
For tight lines, masking tape and thinning paint are your best friends! (works for me ask I don't have a very steady hand) :)

But most importantly, enjoy yourself! :)

Edited by WanouMars
Dark first :D

Thank you guys for the tips.

5 hours ago, WanouMars said:

Well, if you base black, and leak yellow, it's VERY easy to fix. So in general, I would advise to start dark! 😛
For tight lines, masking tape and thinning paint are your best friends! (works for me ask I don't have a very steady hand) :)

But most importantly, enjoy yourself! :)

Start black? Wouldn't it take a bunch of coats to get the yellow to cover it? (I have no idea what I'm talking about)

19 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

Start black? Wouldn't it take a bunch of coats to get the yellow to cover it? (I have no idea what I'm talking about)

Depends. Thinner more watery paints would require more coats while thicker ones won't require as many.

22 hours ago, Amc879 said:

It definitely gives me hope that I wont ruin my ships

Stripping your ships after a "bad" paint job isn't as hard as one might think. Find a de-greaser like "LA's Totally Awesome" (from the dollar store here in the USA) or Simple Green.

LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner, 32 ... Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner Refill - Walmart.com

Soak your model in the liquid overnight and then start scrubbing the next day with a toothbrush. Pick away at paint stuck in grooves with a tooth-pick. And of course, rinse with clean water.

It won't hurt the plastic and should be good as new--most of the time: The only trouble I've had is with certain primers that don't completely come off, or nearly so like 85% came off. Only happened once out of say a dozen ships that I chose to repaint.

13 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Start black? Wouldn't it take a bunch of coats to get the yellow to cover it?

If you're painting onto a dark color like black, the lighter color will not look as vibrant as you might expect it to. What you could do to mitigate that is to underpaint the area where you want to use the yellow, for example. You'll have to paint over the same spot a few times, but the process goes like this: paint a medium gray where you'd have the yellow, once dry, paint over the same area with a lighter gray (just tint your gray--add white) and then again with a lighter gray, and then again with a white before doing the yellow.

If you're impatient, you can go gray, white, then yellow. If your paint is thin enough--you want to try for the consistency of whole milk--there shouldn't be any issues with build-up that would gunk up the details on your ship.

I should say here that this works best using acrylic model paints like Vallejo, Citadel, Army Painter and similar. If you're using cheapo paints like the dollar acrylic paint from Joanne's, Michael's or Hobby lobby will often yield poor results. It's worth using better paints since you get better results. Those paints are better suited to painting terrain like what you'd have in SW: Legion.

The miniatures below were all based in black, or dark blue.
As long as you prepare the surface to receive a light color (basically re-apply a light base locally, I use white primer and white paint ), you'll be fine :)

If you leak your lighter color on dark base, it very easy to touch up (I had to re-touch the Millenium Falcon a lot).

mSlEJNZ.jpg

jY7Is9w.jpg

cPPyYaq.jpg

Have fun giving it a try :)

Here's my most recent ship, my take on Black 2

c1dXr1Uh.jpg

EzFNn4Wh.jpg

pgAXIJbh.jpg

tracer squadron making their approach , and their pilot card :) xp3.png.f9935669ff7651937afe224ae900e9a3.png 420652579_xp3card.png.954fcf0908633648bc54d5f43a51dea4.png ( card is scarif gate )