Talisman: The Horus Heresy Project

By talismanisland, in Talisman Home Brews

I'll probably not document too much here, as this is not really related to FFG's version of the game, but I've uploaded a small gallery of images to the Talisman Island Facebook page from my latest project.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/talismanisland/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1239511959472173

I've previously made a version of Nomad Games' Talisman: The Horus Heresy for my own use, but was a little unhappy with some of the formatting and design choices that I made back then.

I'm more comfortable with the new iteration, so will be putting something on the site at some point in the (hopefully) near future, as well as adding some updates here when there's something meaty to show.

tthh-redux-dataslate-small.png

Just for interest, here is an example of how the last version looked. It was reminiscent of the actual digital version, but didn't look quite right, hence the revamp.

tthh-pnp-playarea.jpg

Finally decided on a way to identify Unit cards by their Warlord, though it's a sneaky use of the Honour Scroll from Relic! :)

For those that might not know, each Warlord in Talisman: The Horus Heresy has his own Legion Units, for example Pyroclast Squad for Vulkan, and Mor Deythan Strike Cadre for Corvus Corax.

In the first version, I trusted on being able to sort them out just using Legion Icons, but some Warlords use the same Units as others, so it was a nightmare to sort them out. This way should make it much easier.

tthh-redux-warlord-unit-small.png

In Talisman: Digital Edition, you can earn Runestones which give your various boosts when you start the game.

Talisman: The Horus Heresy has a similar system, but it gives you Weapon Loadouts, Armour or other items of Equipment to use as a starting bonus.

I've added these to this version as Warlord-specific Wargear cards, along the lines of the Units detailed in the last post.

tthh-redux-warlord-wargear-small.png

I've finished remaking the Isstvan Dataslates, and have just started on the Propero Dataslates.

Then will come the Isstvan and Prospero specific Units!

tthh-redux-isstvan-small.png

tthh-redux-prospero-small.png

I've just posted again to the Talisman Island FB page, but I think I'll make a blog post on the site soon as I am now beyond the point of no return!

The addition of new attributes and powers in the latest expansions has prompted me to adopt "keywords" on Unit Dataslates.

Though I prefer to use full text to explain things, the space available makes it impossible, or at least impractical to do so here.

These references will all be explained on a rules crib sheet, and some of the names are subject to change, but you'll get the drift (mostly).

For example -

Tactical Combat scores are based on the Eastern Dragon, so basically it attacks using your lowest attribute from Ranged and Close Combat.

The above change actually saves 3 lines of text, so I'm happy to do that.

tthh-keywords-small.jpg

I've now made up the board, which is certainly nicer than last year's effort. This will end up as a 30 inch x 22 inch thing, so there's plenty of room, though it is slightly smaller than a new Talisman board.

Bear in mind that it is reduced in size and quite well compressed for showing here, so the quality may look a bit off.

tthh-redux-board-30x22-small.jpg

In Talisman: The Horus Heresy, Fleet Dataslates are only found in the main deck and cannot be bought like they can in Talisman.

I thought it would be a nice touch to add in an analogue for the Stables, so now we have the Fleet Anchorage where you can buy the equivalent of a Mule, Warhorse and Horse & Cart.

tthh-fleet-anchorage.png

...and a Mechanicum Armoury card to add to the Isstvan deck.

I'm not 100% about the costs yet though...

tthh-mechanicum-armoury.png

Of course, for playing pieces, you can either use a nicely painted Space Marine figure (or a Primarch if you are particularly rich!) or one of the tokens that I've made...

tthh-token.png

tthh-minis.jpg

Edited by talismanisland

So, I figured I'd finally write something up about the project -

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=7908

Hopefully it doesn't ramble too much and helps explain a bit about how it's going.

I'll be updating it once I've got hold of something tangible.

Someone asked if I'd consider making a box for Talisman: The Horus Heresy, so I've been working on one.

I'm not sure I'll bother making boxes for the expansions, and will probably make the blurb on this one suggest that it is a collection of everything...

tthh-box-small.png

tthh-base-small.png

I've also made up the cards for the latest expansion - Warlord Pack IV - Endryd Haar & Calas Typhon...

tthh-warlord-endryd-haar.png

Edited by talismanisland
I R Idiot

Here's the box base with a bit of blurb and a bit of "life" given to the iconography...

heresy-base-example.png

Edited by talismanisland
bleh...