New Characters - Distant Travelers

By Reedstilt, in Talisman Home Brews

While I'm still working on the Hidden Valley expansion, those other expansions are still in the early phases. Mostly, they're just characters because that's how all my ideas start. Since I mentioned some of those ideas in passing in another thread, I thought I'd share those characters here. I'm not entirely happy with all of them yet, so feel free to critique and offer suggests for improvements.

This first batch are all from a land I'm calling Azania, which is essentially Fantasy Africa. For a bit of the lore behind this idea, until recently, Azania had been ruled by various small kingdoms and chiefdoms. Several years ago, however, one of those kingdoms invented gunpowder. Using this new technology, a single Azanian Empire has emerged. Now agents of that empire are seeking the Crown of Command to expand their influence further, while rebels and others seek it to overthrow the emperor.

There are two new Enemy types* that would be included with these characters - Azanians and Gnolls. Azanians represent the forces of the empire; Gnolls are borrowed from D&D and are essentially hyena-people. There would also be a new Gunsmith Deck which provides basic firearm weapons like flintlock pistols and muskets. Unfortunately the art I found for the characters are actually using weapons that are a bit more advanced than I have in mind, but I'll take what I can get.

* EDIT: I forgot that the Dungeon added Gnolls already as Monsters so I'll switch them to that.

6EPToKi.jpg

lxQM01L.jpg

Klc245b.jpg

xiW1fL5.jpg

9UjQpqt.jpg

jeMJFQ9.jpg

xnLGnxe.jpg

Dp0D5rr.jpg

WgjMl2Z.jpg

Edited by Reedstilt

I like the creativity here!

In the Asanbosam, there's a little typo in the last paragraph. "If you defeat another character can cause them. . ." etc.

I like the way it encourages the player to use no weapons.

With the Bouda, I really like these interesting abilities! I could see the first one lending itself to a scavenger-type character who goes around picking up everything everyone's dropped and cashing in the objects for Craft points. Seems balanced, the more I think about it. I also like the second ability, though I'm wondering what the lore behind it would be. What happens at the Blacksmith that allows the Bouda to gain spells?

The centaur seems nice and well-rounded. I like it! Seems like a character I would start with in the game.

I like the psychopomp aspect of the Cynocephalus. Very creative!

The Drummer definitely seems like a good support character for Co-Op, though the ability to encounter the same space at will can definitely have advantages (fountains, etc.)

The Herdsman offers another really neat dynamic to play. At first I thought it was unbalanced (essentially making fate into Strength,) but after I read through it again, you have some really well-engineered checks to balance it out, so bravo! :)

Imperial guard seems like a solid character. I like it. Minor typo: "When you encounter an Azanians. . ." etc.

I like the "Plague" dynamic with the Mummy Queen. What a neat idea, gathering events as spells and then casting them!

The Musketeer makes me excited to see what you come up with for the Gunsmith deck!

Thanks for the comments, and catching those typos. I noticed another one in the Mummy Queen as well.

I'm a bit concerned that the Asanbosam might not be encouraging going weaponless enough. Compare to the Monk, you has the opposite, who has the opposite effect (adding Craft to Strength, rather than Strength to Craft) but completely prevents you from using Weapons and Armor in battle. I'm concerned that the Asanbosam is significantly better than the Monk.

In Ethiopian lore, boudas are magician-smith werehyenas. She's effectively forging magic from raw materials. I'll see about adding some lore on the card to explain what's going on there.

Glad you like the Centaur (though I learned last night that she's technically a Centauride - didn't know female Centaurs had their own name). I'm a bit concerned that she's doing a bit too much, since she has the ability to be either a Riding Horse or a psuedo-Warhorse, as well as a partial Mule.

Can't have a Anubis knock-off without being a psychopomp in some fashion.

The main reason I gave the Drummer the ability to stay in the same spot is so he can better take advantage of his drumming. So you can visit the Temple, drum, then visit the Temple again to get the +2 on your roll, for example. But, yeah, helps with those fountains too.

As for the Herdsman, I realize accidentally edited out an important bit on the Herd Tokens, which is that they go on your card as separate from your actual Fate tokens. So your Strength bonus is just +Herd, not +(Herd + Fate).

The Mummy Queen's plagues are my favorite effect from this set. She's the character I'd most want to play. Though she did force me to redesign one of the characters in the next set who was doing something similar.

I'm looking forward to the Gunsmith Deck as well. I haven't pinned down all the mechanics there, so the Musketeer might change a bit as I flesh out the deck a bit more. At the moment, I'm thinking it will include flintlock pistols and muskets, a blunderbuss, a pistol-axe, a fire lance, and a primitive grenade. The grenades obviously expended upon use. The others will require ammo, which can be purchased from the Alchemist or Blacksmith (buying either gunpowder or shot, but mechanically it's all the same). Unlike the other firearms, the pistol-axe and fire lance function without ammo but not as well.

I like the idea of buying ammo from non-draw spaces. That's a cool one! The way I've always resolved ammo use was just to put a note on every firearm to roll a die after use. On a six, the weapon is out of ammo (and is discarded, usually.) That doesn't lend itself to reloading though, and was mostly just a way of allowing barbarians and wizards to use lasers that they'd toss away as soon as the gun was out of charge, lol.

Though I did make it where certain Timescape Characters can get refills (essentially) at the Space Fortress.

Some cards I've made over the last few years which have different gun dynamics to consider and tinker with:
Boarding-Pistol-Front-Face.png Phaser-Rifle-Front-+2Face.jpg Laser-Rifle3-Front-Face.jpg

Next up are the characters from "Atlantis," which is mostly inspired by Pre-Columbian North America. This is one of my older ideas so there are a lot more characters here than before. The meta-narrative for this set is that their homeland is suffering a cataclysmic event. Various people have crossed the ocean, seeking refuge or pursuing the Crown of Command in hope that its magic can reverse the devastation or allow them to lord over the remains. Some of these require certain expansions to play, though I've forgot to mark them all appropriately.

Edit: Of course, I don't notice the various typos until I've saved the files... Feel free to point out any you see. I've already spotted a two or three myself.

pMsT6zi.jpg

yaSr4iM.jpg

Tjhj6EY.jpg

v6xBClp.jpg

JrVk6Xh.jpg

VWXjABk.png

h9HZIIc.jpg

vqG2R3t.jpg

pdqu0tT.jpg

hsI2bOF.jpg

dy2uJ1x.jpg

WC69I8Y.jpg

YuVhzHh.jpg

TQJX84b.jpg

XPv5wDp.jpg

SU7jQgd.jpg

eitPzo6.jpg

cN3jB72.jpg

Edited by Reedstilt

I like these new mechanics! I'm curious to see what you come up with for the hunting dog from the purchase deck. :)