Casual campaign variant

By Dice lord, in General Discussion

My friends and I play melee casually (using my cards) and we don't have time/knowledge on games night to build full decks; just adding new pack cards obviously clogs the decks.

I had the idea of playing a few (say 3) games but where your dead characters and discarded locations/events/attachments persist in these piles from game to game. The first game just uses core cards (each player given a single faction + some random neutrals); second game lets a player replace 'lost' cards with new in-faction cards from the 1st cycle or random neutrals of the same card type; same for next game but uses 2nd cycle cards.

Finishing position grants power (between 3 and 0) at the start of the next game. Each player can keep existing in-play cards as setup cards for the next game (limited by usual set up; 8 gold, one limited etc.). Drafting plots works well and is quick; perhaps one plot from the previous game could be kept for the next game's plot deck. Winner of last game is overall winner.

Any thoughts on this? Just want to create some good play stories, interesting choices and see different cards on the table.

AGOT hasn't seen much play lately (new series might change this tho) but we tried this out a while back. Was good fun, a character sent off to the wall in one of the the first rounds of game 1 returning in the last game to help seize the victory being the stand out moment.

Would recommend this for the casual gamer looking to see different cards in play.

The random neutral can be a problem. Allow chose in there too and it will be fine!

maybe so that you can only take neutrals one at time. So no player hoard all the same cards or, make X separate pool to players, where there Are equal Number of each cards. (Where X is the Number of players. That would require ofcourse X core sets too...) one posibility would be not to allow the use of cards that you have less than X in your collection.

Yes, that was true; we generally dish out roseroad and kingsroad equally from my 2 cores (even for normal games). Restricting is good for balance I guess but we'd rather see a mix of cards even at the expense of a 'fair' game. Maybe deal out x+2 neutrals (x = players) with players taking turns to pick.