RtL - Lieutenants on the same space as Heroes

By Spalkulus, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Once again referring to my campaign yesterday, the Heroes went through a dungeon and decided to return to Tamalir, which was being sieged by Alric. When can the Heroes clash with Alric? I can see in the "Answered Questions Sticky", that they can't clash in the same turn, as the Heroes complete the Dungeon, but what about the turn after this, and what can they otherwise do in this turn?

Nitpicking at the rules it seems that, no matter if you are the Overlord or not, you have to take a Move action to be able to attack the lieutenant/Heroes. This means no training for the Heroes/no besieging for the lieutenant in that turn. Is this what was intended? To make matters worse, it actually says that Move actions have to move the lieutenant/Heroes to a new location, meaning that a Lieutenant would have to give up his siege, or the Heroes would have to away and back again to attack the lieutenant.

Of course you can house-rule the most nonsensical stuff away here, but what is really intended in this situation?

Spalkulus said:

Once again referring to my campaign yesterday, the Heroes went through a dungeon and decided to return to Tamalir, which was being sieged by Alric. When can the Heroes clash with Alric? I can see in the "Answered Questions Sticky", that they can't clash in the same turn, as the Heroes complete the Dungeon, but what about the turn after this, and what can they otherwise do in this turn?

Nitpicking at the rules it seems that, no matter if you are the Overlord or not, you have to take a Move action to be able to attack the lieutenant/Heroes. This means no training for the Heroes/no besieging for the lieutenant in that turn. Is this what was intended? To make matters worse, it actually says that Move actions have to move the lieutenant/Heroes to a new location, meaning that a Lieutenant would have to give up his siege, or the Heroes would have to away and back again to attack the lieutenant.

Of course you can house-rule the most nonsensical stuff away here, but what is really intended in this situation?

Well, as Thunercles pointed out, FFG contradicted themselves about this between the answered questions and the FAQ. Since the FAQ is "Official" I'd go with that- Yes the heroes can choose to encounter a LT after returning from a dungeon as it still considered part of the "end of move action" As for having to take a move action to encounter a LT (as opposed to train) that is in fact how it works. Think of it as the heroes having to "move" outside of the town walls to encounter the LT if you need a thematic justification.

You are absoulute correct about "there and back again, the heroes' tale". It really is an ambigous way to describe the move action and we really don't know if Kevin Wilson intended for the Party to be forced to change locations just to encounter a LT (or vice versa) in the location they start in.

I personally feel that taking a "move" action but staying in place is the way to go about it (which allows for the party to use the "visit" circumstances of the town buildings)

The "Train" action takes up the entire week and that is ALL the heroes can do that week. (They are intense training or healing and don't have time for anything else)

In your situation, the heroes return to tamalir- it is still the "end of the move" and they can choose to encounter Alric and "visit" the town buildings (in any order)