Some Questions

By SkyBasta, in DOOM: The Board Game

Hello Doom fans! I bought this game a month ago and after tutorial and first mission I have some ( maybe silly ) questions:

1) If marine uses Chainsaw card to reduce staggered value by 3 - can he make Glory Kill on Imps which do not suffered damage? Their base staggered value is `1, and by Chainsaw card its reduced to 0.

2) Infestation deploy card says - "When a marine opens the door: Each portal token that the marine can trace a continuous path of adjancent spaces to ( i.e. each portal token that is not separated from the marine by blocking terrain, walls, or doors ) is flipped faceup. Then, invader summons from each faceup portal. At the end of that marine activation shuffle 1 invader card to initiave deck " - so I have question for this card. First - what does mean "a continuous path of adjancent spaces to"? It's line of sight? Or I just count spaces to the portals. When I play first mision in Black Bishop Operation, I have 3 non-active portals becasue they havent line of sight from the door. Second question - when I summon demons from portal, I put figures on the map after marine finish his activation or when he opens the door. Third question - If I have few iniative cards in iniative deck, I shuffle new invaver cards with non-covered iniative cards that was on setup?

Welcome to the forums!

1) Imps can be staggered at full health with that chainsaw card. if stagger value is dropped down to a value of 0. than they don't need damage on them to glory kill.

2a) the wording is overtly vague. I treated it as just line of sight, I think they used that word choice due the line of sight rules in this game, where you have to draw invisible lines to all corners of a space lest that figure gains the cover mechanic. Adjacent spacing results in implied line of sight. So because of that, I would go ahead and say if you can trace on point of a marine occupied space to a point of a portal occupied space, that portal then activates.
2b) as soon the door is opened you would check for line of sight, and perform a summoning. Unless the card states otherwise, Don't have it handy to confer to.

3) Not quite following the question. Are you curious if you shuffle those initiative cards into the deck during activations? If so, I don't believe so. The initiative deck is prepared, adjusted, and modified during the status phase. So if you spawn something during activations because of the invasion card rules, they would not get an activation or card this turn. That being said, you can use this knowledge to make your spawn choices deadly, say you have imps out on the board, and they haven't activated yet. your new portals just opened up on that marines activation. You can spawn more imps, allowing them all to activate that turn.

If anyone feels I'm wrong, go ahead and correct me. I'm going off of what my play group did based off of memory. There's a lot of instances like this one that are confusing and vague in what is the proper play.

Hi SkyBasta,

I think the continuous path of empty spaces is basically saying, as long as there isn't anything blocking a continuous line of squares. I.e. that room as far as the next set of doors, then the portals flip and the invaders spawn. If it was line of sight based I have to think they'd use that term itself as it's pretty well established. Without the map to hand it's tricky to describe exactly, but as I recall Mission 1 is basically split into three rooms. Start, room with red portal (and a fairly disgruntled Baron of Hell), and room with 2 blues and a yellow portal. Opening any of the doors from room 1 leaves a continuous path of empty spaces to the portals in either room 2 or 3, so they activate at that point.

Once spawned, at the end of that marine's activation (the marine who opened the door and triggered the spawn) I think (correct if I'm wrong) that the invasion strategy indicates that you should shuffle the extra invader initiative cards into the deck at that point and continue the round accordingly. This puts the impetus (pun intended) on the marines to coordinate the door opening to be near the start of the round if possible.

So yeah for Infenstation:

1. Marine activates and opens a door.

2. Every portal in that room, even ones the marine cannot see, are flipped open. The "room" is defined as the area surrounded only by the black walls and doors.

3. Invader summons from the new portals.

4. Marine continues his activation, including attacking the newly spawned demons.

5. At the end of the marine's activation, if you spawned new demon types which do not have a corresponding initiative card, grab the new number of initiative invader cards and shuffle them into the deck. That means shuffle the deck that is left with the new cards.

Eg: if you had only imps (1 invader initiate) and the marine opens a door and you summon mancubus and cacodemon, shuffle an additional 2 invader initiative to the remaining initiative cards. That gives any new demons a chance to activate and perform turn.

Edited by MeeKey

Here's a quick and dirty guide telling you which portals to activate when, for the first mission. Note: I did this from memory, so the layout might not be quite right, but this is the general gist. It DOES NOT rely on "Line of Sight"

E1M1 Guide.png

Edited by Demax51
On 2/28/2017 at 0:43 AM, Psionics313 said:

Welcome to the forums!

1) Imps can be staggered at full health with that chainsaw card. if stagger value is dropped down to a value of 0. than they don't need damage on them to glory kill.

2a) the wording is overtly vague. I treated it as just line of sight, I think they used that word choice due the line of sight rules in this game, where you have to draw invisible lines to all corners of a space lest that figure gains the cover mechanic. Adjacent spacing results in implied line of sight. So because of that, I would go ahead and say if you can trace on point of a marine occupied space to a point of a portal occupied space, that portal then activates.
2b) as soon the door is opened you would check for line of sight, and perform a summoning. Unless the card states otherwise, Don't have it handy to confer to.

3) Not quite following the question. Are you curious if you shuffle those initiative cards into the deck during activations? If so, I don't believe so. The initiative deck is prepared, adjusted, and modified during the status phase. So if you spawn something during activations because of the invasion card rules, they would not get an activation or card this turn. That being said, you can use this knowledge to make your spawn choices deadly, say you have imps out on the board, and they haven't activated yet. your new portals just opened up on that marines activation. You can spawn more imps, allowing them all to activate that turn.

If anyone feels I'm wrong, go ahead and correct me. I'm going off of what my play group did based off of memory. There's a lot of instances like this one that are confusing and vague in what is the proper play.

Your answer to number one is correct, but your answers for 2a, 2b, and 3 are completely wrong. Not trying to be mean, just pointing it out.

Thank you guys for answers. I wrote to the FFG support too, maybe they can give us official answer that we will use. Main question for me was about Infestation card, because if for term "continuous path" we define it like "line of sight" it makes a situation, when some portals can't be flipped up. So why I must use this card? I have assault or horde cards which is much better.

1 hour ago, SkyBasta said:

Thank you guys for answers. I wrote to the FFG support too, maybe they can give us official answer that we will use. Main question for me was about Infestation card, because if for term "continuous path" we define it like "line of sight" it makes a situation, when some portals can't be flipped up. So why I must use this card? I have assault or horde cards which is much better.

Continuous path and Line of sight are totally different. Continuous path is where the Marine can step if he had infinite speed but without opening doors. You can step around a corner but you cannot see around it. Practically, the Marine opening the door can step anywhere in that room now, so all portals in there are flipped.

Also you don't get to choose your Threat Card to use (unlike Event and Invasion) so sadly you are stuck with it...

8 hours ago, SkyBasta said:

That's exactly why you don't define it like "Line of Sight." If it meant Line of Sight, it'd say Line of Sight. I mean, I feel like you've answered your own question: if it really were Line of Sight, two of the portals would never actually activate; therefore, the only logical solution is that it is not reliant on Line of Sight. Right?

The different missions are designed to be used SOLELY with the specific type of Threat card listed on the setup page. The missions do not work correctly if you change those up. But, that said, if you don't want to use the Invasion Threat card, you can opt to play one of the missions that uses a different Threat type.

But dude, I'm positive about this. It's not line of sight. The card's not even ambiguously worded. They specifically chose the words "continuous path" because it means something different than "line of sight". A Marine does not have Line of Sight around corners, for instance, but a Marine can walk (using a "Continuous Path" of squares) around corners.

Edited by Demax51

Thank you for answers. Now I see how it must work. Thanks for all!)