Greyjoy opening strategies and mid-game goals

By Saramund, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Turn 1 orders : Pyke march-1, Ironman's Bay march.

Move your troops from Pyke to: Footman flints finger, Knight Seaguard. If Lannister doesnt have Def+2 in Golden Sound: Move 1 ship to Sunset sea, other attacks Golden Sound. play a 2 leader, or the 0 leader that makes opp's leader 0. This kills their fleet. They now cannot raid your support, and you are set up well to hold Seaguard and maybe take Riverrun too.

If Lannister does play def+2 in the sound, you can attack with both ships and play your 3 leader, to kill it, or you can let them keep the ship. Letting them keep the ship is dangerous, as then they get to raid your support, and you cant take riverrun easily/may lose Seaguard to Stark. It really depends on what happens.

Alternately : Play support in Ironman's Bay, march-1 on Greywater watch (to Flints Finger), march on Pyke (all to Seaguard....or even leave a footman in Pyke. The footman in Pyke then gathers power...this works better if no muster, worse if there is a muster)

Future goals : Establish dominance in the sea zones in the west side of the board, hopefully including Sunset Sea, Golden Sound, Bay of Ice. This allows surprise attacks on the Three home provinces of Lannister, Tyrell, Stark. KEEP THE SWORD if possible. Losing it may prove your downfall. Try to keep a footman on Pyke to gather power, and use its muster points to drop down more ships to establish naval superiority.

Excerpt from a BoardGameGeek post .

Actually, there's a pretty nice alternative.

Ironman Bay gets the Support order, the ship in the port gets Consolidate power order.

The Footman in Greywater Watch gets March order (-1) and Knight & Footman in Pyke get the March order (+0).

Further on, independently on the Lannister orders, the Footman from Greywater Watch takes Seaguard. Usually this March order is played first.

From here there are 3 possible options:

a) an experienced Lannister player uses Consolidate power order with a (*) on Lannysport to get a bigger army in order to hold down Pyke player, and since he already used his March order (if there was one) you are free to act.

==>

You cant really do much here, so just take Riverrun with a Knight.

b) Lannister player took Riverrun, so just attack it and win a fight, get Rivenrun. Since you win the fight easilly, try to force "The Hound" card from Lannister with 2 towers, so in the next fights you can destroy enemy armies after the combat.
Use only the Knight for the attack, so the Footman in Pyke can gather money for you.

n.b: try making a union with Lannister before the game starts and promise that Riverrun is his, so he won't suspect a lie. I do it all the time :)

c) Lannister player moved out for barels and doesn't have much army near Riverrun so just take it :)

Anyway now you have 3 castles, 4 barrels, 3 crowns to work with.

Also you can put Raid order on the Riverrun to remove Consolidate power order from Lannysport on the next step.

Preferable action is to invade the Golden Sound sea on the next step. Basicly any westeros card is more beneficial for you than to the Lannister player, which is great.

"Move your troops from Pyke to: Footman flints finger, Knight Seaguard. If Lannister doesnt have Def+2 in Golden Sound: Move 1 ship to Sunset sea, other attacks Golden Sound. play a 2 leader, or the 0 leader that makes opp's leader 0. This kills their fleet. They now cannot raid your support, and you are set up well to hold Seaguard and maybe take Riverrun too."

Everything i have read suggests this is not possible - my understanding is that the ship in the pyke port is seperate to the ship in Ironmans Bay, hence they require seperate orders.

Given Greyjoy has no special orders at the begginning of the game it is not possible to march from pykes port, march from pyke and march from Ironmans bay on turn 1.

I believe this is the reason why Greyjoys other ship begins in the port. If Greyjoy wants to take the golden sound turn 1 they must march on pyke first to ensure they have a bridge to take Seaguard or Riverrun this in combination with Lannister having the Crow should enable Lannister to defend the golden sound or counter attack on rivverrun.

If what you are suggesting were true then Barathean could directly attack The Narrow Sea with ships in the Dragonstone Port OR attack The Narrow Sea with ships from Shipbreaker Bay with Support from ships in Dragonstone Port. Both options would be completely broken.

The Final option to all this is you are not playing with ports and instead give greyjoy two ships in Ironmans Bay to begin with in which case Lannister is royaly BONED from the beggining. :-)

I like what dancemachine wrote, but i think it worths try to play first turn like this:

march -1 on port

march +0 on ironmans bay

CP on Pyke and on Greywater watch

Then firstly send a ship from port to ironmans bay and then attack the golden sound sending one ship to sunset sea eliminating lanisters oportinity to retreat with his ship after losing this fight (greyjoy wil definately win this fight using blade and balon --> 1 + 1 + 2 =4 against 1+perhaps 2 defense)

Eventhoug greyjoy obtains no castle, he controls sees and can raids lannisters CP or CP* on lanisport or riverrun. Next turn i would probably send a ship from sunset see back to ironmans bay and take seaguard from Pyke and of course put raid to the Golden sound and CP on Graywater watch. If clash of kings comes, it will be great.

Please appologise my bad english, I am from Czech republic:)

Edited by lotr