GW announce new edition for later this year

By talismanisland, in Talisman

How legit is this ?

Edited by Bludgeon

I will be paying attention to this with very much trepidation. I've grown quite attached to the 4th Edition, so this better be rather spectacular for me to invest in it.

12 minutes ago, Bludgeon said:

How legit is this ?

It is on a genuine GW site and linked to from a genuine GW Facebook page, so I'd suggest it is as legit as you can get.

In that case I'm beyond surprised!!

I was expecting 5th edition but in 2019, late 2018 at the earliest.

Who am I kidding!!!!!!

WAHOOOOOOOOO another edition.

This has made my day, new artwork, exciting cards,big shiney boxes, expansions and more figures to paint (oh knickers :blink: )

Great news. I hope Gary Chalk is doing the artwork. (a girl can dream I suppose). Time to dig out my Sisters of Mercy cassette.

:) :)

Edited by 80sVamp

I haven't even considered this but if new talisman uses figures (and it will), and if they are roughly the same size as 4e figures (who knows) I might still buy it simply to make 14 or so new characters :)

Hopefully with new art by Gary Chalk, bigger cards and maybe some tweeks here and there this could be very interecting. Hopefully some visual updates will come soon.

Edited by lovfinion

So excited, a little bit of wee just came out!

So what are your hopes for new edition and what are your expectations?

My expectations:

- almost identical to 2/3/4e, with no major changes.

- No new mechanics

- all cards almost identical except maybe artwork.

- maybe some shakeup with characters (which ones are in the base game, not their abilities)

- fate gone

- beautiful miniatures

My hopes:

- modernized version with many minor improvements and some major ones.

- Gorgeous looking

- smaller board, but not by much

- inner region more like in relic than in old versions

Just saw the news over at Bell of Lost Souls.

I am glad it will be back in print, but am curious if this will be Talisman or Talisman: Age of Sigmar

My expectations are that it is set in the Age of Sigmar. They will produce character packs with fiddly miniatures that require assembly for the game. That's where they earn they money. Once the game sells out, they'll do a new edition, different from the previous. See Space Hulk.

I will pass. My love for the 4th revised with all its awesome expansions will prevail. GW was once an innovative and great company (that was back in the late eighties), but nowadays, they don't appeal to me any more. Especially as they killed their wonderful Old World setting and they also killed Relic (along with all other games FFG did in their universe). Bah! :angry:

I want the fate mechanic to remain. It works brilliantly!

@PzVIE

Been a 40K followersince 2nd edition. That being said, sometimes I liked what GW did other times not so much. I've always done more collecting/painting than playing though.

I did manage to somehow not get into Warhammer Fantasy Battle but did like the Old World as presented in the RPG. I was really surprised when the killed off those world and brought in Age of Sigmar. The Stormcast Eternals were designed to be like Space Marines and the whole redesign was intended to make things easier to play. Personally not interested in it at all. The new Warhammer Quest is problematic for me because they changed the game formula which IMHO is what everyone was hoping for and set it in AOS. I don't fault them for trying though and at least we got the Warhammer Quest card game for a season.

At the end of 8th Edition I was considered seeing Bretonnia or Ogres but now Bretonnians have gone the way of the squats. Sad. If I do play a fantasy miniatures game it will likely be Kings of War.

I wish GW the best and hope Talisman will remain 4th Edition revised and AOS'd.

Perhaps they'll consider Remaking Relic and the other games.

Though I would think Nomad's Horus Heresy as a board game dead tree Edition more likely

GW was dead to me as a company the moment they stopped printing the Realms of Chaos books.

1 hour ago, sanityismyvanity said:

GW was dead to me as a company the moment they stopped printing the Realms of Chaos books.

I used to love them when I was younger, that's what got me started with role playing

I still don't have the dragon expansion, so I'm secretly hoping that this is going to be a reissue of 4th revised edition with the expansions. Other than that looks like I'm going to have to fork out around £70 for the last expansion I'm missing.

18 minutes ago, Sithassassin said:

I still don't have the dragon expansion, so I'm secretly hoping that this is going to be a reissue of 4th revised edition with the expansions.

Well, in that case I'm secretly hoping you're wrong :D

Well, if we see how brutal GW violated Warhammer, killing all brave bretonian Knights, replacing them with Demons in angelic Outlook, i share the fear that Age of Sigmar will overrun Talisman. I dont expect a new classic form, oh no. there is no place on earth for this anymore, except in our dreams, if we can keep it.

5 hours ago, Sithassassin said:

I still don't have the dragon expansion, so I'm secretly hoping that this is going to be a reissue of 4th revised edition with the expansions. Other than that looks like I'm going to have to fork out around £70 for the last expansion I'm missing.

Since Dragons is the least liked expansion, I would guess getting a used copy like new would be easy.

On ‎20‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 8:09 AM, TheMetal1 said:

Talisman: Age of Sigmar

Bare-ass dwarf included.

Edited by Narcissistic Cannibal

Talisman: 1983, with 2nd edition not long after that, mostly updating cosmetics of the game.

3rd edition: 1994

4th edition: January 2007
4th revised: January 2008 (following Black Industries ceasing publication of board games)

I suppose that if you look at the time difference between 1st/2nd and 3rd edition, it's about the same as the difference between 4th/4th-revised and this proposed 5th edition.

But it still seems too soon. The final expansion for 4th-revised was just released in 2016. Expansions and improvements for the Digital Edition are still being developed and released. Some people are still scrambling to pick up 4th-revised material, and now they're ready to shoving a 5th edition toward us?

No, thank you. Let me have some time to wear out my 4th-revised before I need to spend that kind of money on a new set.

I'll buy it instantly if they keep generic high fantasy. Talisman is so easy to play that everyone to whom I've showed the game immediately loved it. Same as Cosmic Encounter: generic aliens. A niche setting with identical mechanics would fall flat; Relic we disliked. So Talisman of Sigmar... will pass.

Relic was disliked? News to me.