1st to 2nd

By Rimmer1, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Just getting into 2nd edition from a long 1st edition campaign and wondering how to convert a character. Most of them will be easy, the scum dual wielding gun-bunny, the ex imperial guard chain sword maniac, no problems.

However, the Fallen Priest turned Sorcerer, not sure how to handle this one.

• Background: Adeptus Ministorum
  • Role: Mystic
  • Elite Advance: Psyker

Take the basics of each character's concept and recreate them from scratch using the new system. I assume the characters already had a few levels before you decided to switch editions, so the players can buy the most important Skills and Talents from any missing class or specialization (in this case all the stuff associated with the DH1 Cleric's advances). I think you should be able to come fairly close!

Edited by Lynata

2nd Edition dosent really do "Sorcerer's" does it ?

I'd say Mystics is as close as you'd get. There's really only two types of psykers: those who go at it "academically" and study it like a science, and those who act like it's magic with everything depending on rituals and fetishes. As far as I can see, a Sorcerer is just a Mystic by another name (though one could even argue that the academic AAT psyker is just a variant of Mystic, too; their own rituals just happen to be more uniform and regulated by Imperial sanctions).

On 2/20/2017 at 1:19 AM, Rimmer1 said:

2nd Edition dosent really do "Sorcerer's" does it ?

A sorceror would basically be a mystic with some forbidden lore and a few powers from the "malefic daemonology" tree. If the GM is cool with it, you could even pull some sorcerous powers from Black Crusade source material.

Edited by Douglasrad

Sorcery (in a sense of "get daemons to do it for you") is very much now the malefic daemonology tree, but aside from daemon summoning rituals, there isn't really sorcery in a 'duplicating psychic powers without being a psyker' sense like there was in 1e.