Expansions to use with the app

By Juan4aigle, in Road to Legend

Hello!

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find it.

I have recently purchased Descent and started the first campaign. Now, I know myself and I can tell you already I'm this close to start buying expansions, because I have no self control whatsoever. That said, I'm not sure what expansions to get to make the most of Road To Legend.

I have read that Lair of the Wyrm is a good addition specially for the Kindred Fire campaign (or so they say). Also I'm interested in the Nerekhall expansion, mainly for the added campaing with the app.

So, for my first expansion with Descent, which one would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'd recommend Nerekhall, as that will then let you use Seeds of Corruption campaign.

but lair of the wyrm is a good expansion to get, I bought this aswell, and enjoyed the new quests and additional app content.

Thanks! I understand Wyrm adds a burning condition, which can be used in the Kindred fire campaign. I'm just not sure how "game changing" this condition is for me to buy Wyrm first and then Nerekhall, rather than the other way around.

I can see myself buying both, It's just which one to get first!

I really, REALLY should be Nerekhall. The campaign it unlocks is far superior to any other content RtL has.

Nerekhall is the only really necessary expansion to get as it adds the Seeds of Corruption campaign which is fantastic! (still haven't finished it though).

Beyond that, my recommendation would be to get expansions that add sidequests (which is basically all of the boxes and the Hero & Monster packs). I'm already repeating side quests, and only part way through SoC. I now have all the expansions, lieutenants and 4/9 H&M packs. So hopefully it'll happen less often.

Of course if they release another campaign like SoC, whatever expansion it requires will become the next priority obviously.

Labyrinth of Ruin is another good pick because it is the only other big box and will add a ton of content (4 classes/heroes, 4 new monster groups, tons of new store items etc..). I bought this first to flesh out my Kindred Fire and Delve games, but will buy Shadows soon when we are ready to start the full campaign. For now we are just enjoying buying a new monster pack and trying out new heroes in the Delve. So many possible combinations to keep one busy.

ALL of them at once! just sooo much more content, and also descent is still one of the best dungeoncrawlers out there anyways.

Or if you want to save some money and even get a much better game, search for a copy of Gloomhaven .

I agree Descent is one of the best dungeon crawlers out there now that road to legend app has added co-op modes with storylines.

I also agree Gloomhaven is also one of the best dungeon crawlers out there - but being much better than Descent is probably open to debate.

Descent is dice driven and Gloomhaven is card driven, this may be a preference either way.

Descent has plastic models for monsters and really detailed tiles, Gloomhaven has standees and rather generic tiles, again this may result in a preference for one over the other.

Gloomhaven has an expandable storyline which develops as you play and yes so does Descent which has regular new releases on the app - your desire to use an app may result in a preference.

Good character development is found in both games, Gloomhaven is certainly more complex and deeper, but you will retire your hero after a while and start with another which may not appeal.

I could go on, and I cant honestly say one is much better, they are different enough to get both / either albeit their dungeon theme is common. Gloomhaven does definately win out on its deeper long term story and having interwoven city and road events between adventures, and more scaling difficulty levels for each monster. Its card combat is mechanic is awesome. Descent has the better models and tiles and general looks and requires a little less thinking to get going with. I find one scenario in Gloomhaven takes longer than one in Descent.

Critically though you are very very unlikely to get a copy of Gloomhaven in retail at the moment, if you did not back it in KS then you will probably have to wait until it returns to KS for a reprint or pay a huge price on ebay. I would personally wait and get a Descent expansion to fill the time gap, Shadows of Nerekhall or Labyrinth of Ruins are good choices for general content increases and co-op campaigns .

Edited by Crusaderlord