Yet another healing house rules (and equilibrium)

By dertarr, in WFRP House Rules

Hi all,

Yes, I've seen several healing house rules suggestions. I like many of them, and still here is sonething that came to my mind recently. I only touch healing wounds here, not the diseases or criticals. For now I share it here to get a fresh portion of critics. Will be able to test it in about a month.

First aid

After each encounter that ended up a PC getting wounded, it is possible to apply First Aid skill to him. Application requires only several minutes but should be done shortly after the encounter is resolved. No skill check is required. The PC may recover wounds up to: 1 + 1 wound per skill rank in First Aid + 1 would per relevant specialization in that skill. But not more than the PC was actually dealt, and not more than his Toughness score. All wounds healed this way are converted to fatique that cannot be recovered until full night rest. But the PC may opt to recover less wounds so that he doesn't pass out. Anyway, the PC does not get Insanity cards for this fatique, even while strained. The PC may only benefit from a single skill application after any combat encounter. If the PC uses First Aid on himself, he recoveres 1 wound less.

Full night rest

After full night rest PC recoveres wounds equals to hit Toughness rating. If someone uses Long Term Care on him, he may additionally recover +1 wound per skill rank of each First Aid and Medicine cumulative and +1 per each relevant specialization. But GM may lower the total amount to some degree due to poor condition of the environment for example. Also, any stress or fatique is also completely gone unless there is a good reason for it to stay.

Sources of Healing
PC may benefit from First Aid after each encounter. Additionally PC may benefit from each of the below once a day:

• A healing draught
  • Any blessing (excluding gods of Chaos)
  • Any spell from any allowed school of magic
  • Any dark magic spell (including blessings from gods of Chaos)
  • Any elven high magic spell

Equilibrium and casting during story mode

Both favour and power are restored to an equilibrium state at the rate of 1 per hour. I suppose you may use the same rate for recharge tokens. Any time a PC uses Curry Favour or Channelling action while in story mode, he suffers 1 stress that cannot be recovered until full night rest. This effectively blocks PCs from spamming spells and blessings. Any stress received from banes or chaos stars from these actions would also last until tomorrow.

Sorry for my English being somewhat funny

Some nice ideas here. Healing is absolutely one of the more akward parts of the WFRP3 rules. After having tried out quite a few hose rules through the years, I have found that what works best for me and my group is rules that work within the established rules but tweaks it to work better without making it more complicated and adding more dice rolls.

First Aid
I like your idea here, particularly because there is no skill check required. I had one character once try to build a healer without magic, and it was pretty akward. The game didn’t really support it I felt. This is a much cleaner way to do first aid that makes a First Aid character feel useful. However, I see one minor gripe that might come up: If there are two characters with First Aid, only the best one ever counts.
A tweaked version of the mechanic might be this:
Each person with First Aid trained may heal as many Wounds as their level of Training. They may choose how to distribute the healing.

Full Night Rest
So you’ve dispensed with the Overnight Rest check? Then how do they recover from Criticals?
I have a pretty easy set of rules for this in my House Rules: Ralzars House Rules

Sources Of Healing
I luckily haven’t run into any problems with this yet (see below) but I can see how the need to limit this pops up. I think that will work fine. Although there is something I want to say about Healing Draughts:
They are not dangerous enough in the game. They are basically healing potions that might not work. This is not very Warhammery. There is nothing in the rules to reflect buying some knock-off potions from a back-alley alchemist. I am considering adding 1 Misfortune Dice to any Healing Draught rolls Fail = Fatigue and Bane = Queasy. And maybe an additional Misfortune Dice for each Healing Draught you drink in the same day. So you can gamble on chugging a bunch of potions, but you might just make yourself sick :D

I think you are over complicating things for yourself and your players here. There already is a system in place for limiting this that people tend to not think about, because it is a bit unintuitive as long as you think of the rules as simulationist.
“Rounds” are as long as you as a GM feel like. This is particularly important in Story Mode because rounds is what limits the use of Actions. For me rounds can be anything from seconds, to minutes, to days to weeks. All depending on how we are playing. For example, I am currently running The Enemy Within, where I roughly divide the day into 4 parts. Each time I decide they have moved into a new part of the day, I inform them about weather changes, if they are hungry (1 Fatigue), if they are tired (1 Fatigue) and that one round has passed.

This limits ALL action cards that have basically the same problem with “spamming” that healing spells can have. Stuff like “Assess The Situation” and “Big City Bravado” for example. Without this round system many actions would just become permanent Buffs instead of situational tools.

Edited by Ralzar

First Aid
My thought was the same as with multiple Observation checks issue, for example. I usually allow only one dice roll for a single task, so if the most observant PC fails the check, other PC don't get a second chance. This would also be true even if the less observant PC did the first check. So only one PC may apply First Aid, but he may treat any number of wounded PCs. And if less skillfull in First Aid did the healing than that was group's decision.
But I do like your idea of splitting fixed amount of wounds healed between the group. How about this one: The group in total may heal up to: INT of the most intelligent PC in the group (since every PC has First Aid acquired) +1 for each level of tTraining in First Aid of anyone in the group +1 for each relevant Specialization. And any wounds healed this way are converted into fatique.

Full Night Rest
If anyone has a critical then normal rolls are required. I'm inclined not to roll for First Aid or Medicine but to give fixed amount bonus good dice to Resilience check of a wounded PC. Need to think on that matter some more.

Source of Healing
Well, I had to bring up some explanation to my Sigmarite Disciple PC how often is she allowed to use Healing Hand and Blessing of Health.
And speaking about the potions, here is what I did for WFRP 2ed campaign, which would work here as well. I prepared an item card: one side with a picture of an item and the other side with some basic description. I printed both sides separately and put them into a sleeve. Then I printed out a "third" side with real mechanics which I hid in the sleeve between the others two. When PC wanted to use the potion, he would fetch the hidden page and follow the instructions. This helped me a lot not to forget which item used for what.
Previousely I was using another similar idea. Every item I handed to the PCs (both potions and magical weapons and pretty much anything) was provided with the code. "PT01" for example. PCs would write down the item into their character sheet along with that code. I had a list of real properties of those items, so when PC wanted to use the item he would say "I drink the potion PT01". Usually PCs (or me) had also noted about where and when did they get these items.

Yeah, the rules have it. But it doesn't seem to work well with my group. It is not often when one round lasts for several days or weeks: only when PCs get imprisoned, or when they are travelling without any encounters. And for the second case I prefer have them completely "refreshed" when they reach their destination. It just doesn't feel good that PC may heal every day but have rounds that are longer than that. Another thing is that I often forget to tell PC about "end of round", and even if I don't this spoils narrativenes a bit. So I had to come up with some another idea, and here it is. I don't know yet how it would work. At first I even wanted to have priests/wizards to come to equilibrium in 1 hour no matter how many favout/power they have - that could simplify and clarify the mechanic pretty well. I do also not use the "exhaust a talent = 4 recharge tokens" - instead I have those talents recharged only after full night rest. But with actions it is still not that simple...

About your link:
A small addition. When PC rolls Delay, he may also loose his free Maneuvre - I am introducing this to my group and plan to use it when they are below enemies on the initiative track.
I am introducing some more house rules to my group. Most of them are very similar to your list. But they are more "obvious". What I posted here are those I need to have second thought on.

Edited by dertarr
2 hours ago, dertarr said:

First Aid
My thought was the same as with multiple Observation checks issue, for example. I usually allow only one dice roll for a single task, so if the most observant PC fails the check, other PC don't get a second chance. This would also be true even if the less observant PC did the first check. So only one PC may apply First Aid, but he may treat any number of wounded PCs. And if less skillfull in First Aid did the healing than that was group's decision.
But I do like your idea of splitting fixed amount of wounds healed between the group. How about this one: The group in total may heal up to: INT of the most intelligent PC in the group (since every PC has First Aid acquired) +1 for each level of tTraining in First Aid of anyone in the group +1 for each relevant Specialization. And any wounds healed this way are converted into fatique.

I don't really know about the "converted to fatigue" bit. I'm not seeing a reason for it. This is after all a pretty small amount of healing, so it's already pretty weak. What I think I would prefer, is to limit the amount of healing done by having the healer pay for it.

How about this:
After each combat, every character can benefit from First Aid once.
First Aid heals as many Wounds as the healers level of Training + 1.
The healer recieves 1 Fatigue for each character he heals in this way.

This way, anyone can use First Aid, but not all that effectively. And if you try to heal a bunch of people you'll get exhausted.

First Aid doesn't feel to me as something tiring. It might be stressing though (as per game mechanics).
Anyhow, if wounded PC gets treated, his wounds don't dissapear immediately, but they don't affect his ability to survive more damage anymore. But they are still fresh and deliver some pain when character moves carelessly. So he should be careful - mechanically as if he get black dice on physical checks, which is a function of fatique. And having this fatique to last also limits number of applications - no one wants to have extra black dice to every physical skill check :)