Movies in the Tannhauser genre??

By Ellraiser, in Tannhauser

I am looking for movies in the Tannhauser genre....have I missed any?

Indiana Jones movies

The Mummy movies

Puppet Master 2 and Retro

Shock Waves and Blood Sucking Nazi Zombies (the premise)

Hellraiser (flashbacks)

Hellboy 1

I know that there has to be more...what am I missing?

Ellraiser

I don't think it's ever come out on DVD, but Micheal ( Miami Vice ) Mann's The Keep is pretty Weird War.

WWII German soldiers take over an eastern european keep that is a prison for a demon. There are a lot of allusions in the film to the story of the golem.

It's also pretty eighties, there are a lot of scenes that look like a bad rock video, but it's kinda charming. The soundtrack is amazing.

It's based on a novel by F. Paul Wilson and to my understanding, he wasn't fond of it. He collaborated on a a Keep grahic novel in '06.

I should mention the The Tannhauser Black Fortress scenario is based on The Keep . The demon character in Black Fortress has the name Urad Masolar , an anagram of the name of the demon in The Keep , Radu Molasar.

Zone Troopers

Rocketeer

But didn't we do this thread already? Or was it in the old forum?

docsavagepu8.png?t=1228464428

Not a whole movie, but the nightmare scene in

Guys,

Just finished watching THE OUTPOST and it's definitely a good action movie that I recommend to any Tannhäuser fans.

It's set up in modern day, but it's a group of mercenaries that's sent to an abandoned Nazi bunker where they find out that the germans were involved in strange research procedures, trying to build the invencible army through a machine that would reign over the 4 elements.

Definitely worth watching, let me know how it goes.

Cheers;

I'll have to check out the Outpost and the Keep...both sound great.

One movie that might be a stretch to include, but still have some 'alternate history' and over the top characters is

Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow.

The OUTPOST is awesome for sure and the main villian looks just like Magic Hitler yeah I can't pernounce his name, but sha na ra is cheap!!! however, dynomite is my baby :) doesn't he kinda look like an old very wrinkled prune-like Hitler? No? well my buds and i think so

Take it easy all

DeadSnow2.jpg

There's DOD SNO (Dead Snow) coming out in January. It's about some family vacationing in a cabin in the middle of the woods who suddenly get attacked by Nazi zombies. Looks interesting enough.

Also, I have to agree that OUTPOST is a great flick. Sure, by the end you're kind of left scratching your head, but the ride is worth it.

Well the thing with the outpost is that there are no zombies, hehe, just keep that in mind and at the ending you'll understand it's a ghost story.

By the way, I seem to recall a movie about Nazis in the Moon being launched this year, anyone has a scoop on that?

And Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow it's a great movie, even though it's a bit of a stretch from a Tannhäuser scenario it's still good to watch.

Have fun;

Forgot about Iron Sky , I watched the trailer a while back

I am going to have to check Outpost out, love Ray Stevenson and bizarre WW2 stuff. Also thanks for the 'Dead Snow' heads up, I have been itching for a nazi zombies movie since I beat Call of Duty 5 and unlocked that mode ha ha.

littlewars said:

I don't think it's ever come out on DVD, but Micheal ( Miami Vice ) Mann's The Keep is pretty Weird War.

WWII German soldiers take over an eastern european keep that is a prison for a demon. There are a lot of allusions in the film to the story of the golem.

It's also pretty eighties, there are a lot of scenes that look like a bad rock video, but it's kinda charming. The soundtrack is amazing.

It's based on a novel by F. Paul Wilson and to my understanding, he wasn't fond of it. He collaborated on a a Keep grahic novel in '06.

I should mention the The Tannhauser Black Fortress scenario is based on The Keep . The demon character in Black Fortress has the name Urad Masolar , an anagram of the name of the demon in The Keep , Radu Molasar.

The Keep is one of my favourite films. I think the sound track was by Tangerine Dream.

Thanks for the Black Fortress scenario.

The novel 'Underland' by Mick Farren involves vampires and a WWII German colony existing under the Antarctic using supernatural/alien technology. Some interesting ideas although it runs off the rails towards the end.

razide17 said:

The novel 'Underland' by Mick Farren involves vampires and a WWII German colony existing under the Antarctic using supernatural/alien technology. Some interesting ideas although it runs off the rails towards the end.

I have read many Farren novels and enjoyed most of them. I'll have to look for Underland next time I'm book shopping...

docsavagepu8.png?t=1228464428

Though not movies, the Resistance games on the PS3 really have a Tannhauser-ish feel to it. 1950s, alien menace, weird technology...and Chimeras ripe for that Alien faction that's floating around the homebrew circuit. Lol, on the online game, the humans (Army Rangers) have a double time like sprint as a special. "Go! Go! Go!" anyone?

Worth a look see if you have the time.

Yeah I dig Resistance 2. I'm an hour or two into it.

resistance 2 is amazing

yo doc whats your PSN ID? mines Derros