Great 40k novels?

By Professor Tanhauser, in Deathwatch

4 hours ago, Servant of Dante said:

Well, personally, I'd call all heretics traitors by definition, but that's just me :D (so yes I would call Eisenhorn a traitor because of the very fact of his heresy), but I like to keep things pretty Puritan in my Grimdark :P

Traitors, xeno, witches . . . it's all heresy to me. In my personal view of the fluff, it is better to fight to the end and lose than to sacrifice your "morals" by using xenotech or other radical implements and defeat the enemy. There are inquisitors who do their jobs without being radicals. If daemons overrun the world, you can always take a step back and dial up an Exterminatus.

Of course, personal opinion will vary.

So then by that metric, Saint Celestine is a heretic no? Considering she follows the calls of Eldar psykers and tells the Imperials to enter the Webway and even resurrects two fallen Canoness' to serve her beyond death. (Fall of Cadia)

What about every Inquisitor who ever used a Callidus Assassin? They use xenos weaponry, obvious heretics right there.

Let's not even mention the Grey Knights, they are damned from the get-go for their use of sorcery and cursed weapons. The leader of the Purifiers, the one Grey Knight who's soul is utterly incorruptible and wields that cursed blade? Disgusting heretic right there as well.

Speaking of absolute heretics, the Deathwatch are rotten to the core, as are the Explorators for studying xenostech and its weaknesses, the entirety of the Ordo Xenos, as well as anyone that dares board a vessel being led through the Warp by a.... <shudder> mutant Navigator.

Oof... those Orders Dialogous as well, researching Xenos Artefacts? Translating heretical texts for analysis? Grave heresy right there.

-----------------------

Its easy to call yourself Puritan, but its a false title at best. Hypocrisy is a core trait of the Imperium, even if there are those whose "faith" leaves them too blind to see it.

10 hours ago, SCKoNi said:

You need to start thinking before posting dude, before you continue embarrassing yourself with bits of stupidity like this. I can't even find either rhyme nor reason in that post.

Take a step back, get your <TRIGGERED> shirt off, take a shower, and join again when you're presentable.

Trollhunter%20-%20Jotnar.jpg

1 hour ago, Servant of Dante said:

There is no innocence, only varying degrees of guilt

And all those people are heretics. Except the Emperor, of course.

Did you just call Marneus Calgar a heretic?* He's looking to have a word with you.Oh and he's bringing his dad. ;)

* yes, the gauntles of Ultramar were taken from a chaos champion.

8 minutes ago, SCKoNi said:

So then by that metric, Saint Celestine is a heretic no? Considering she follows the calls of Eldar psykers and tells the Imperials to enter the Webway and even resurrects two fallen Canoness' to serve her beyond death. (Fall of Cadia)

What about every Inquisitor who ever used a Callidus Assassin? They use xenos weaponry, obvious heretics right there.

Let's not even mention the Grey Knights, they are damned from the get-go for their use of sorcery and cursed weapons. The leader of the Purifiers, the one Grey Knight who's soul is utterly incorruptible and wields that cursed blade? Disgusting heretic right there as well.

Speaking of absolute heretics, the Deathwatch are rotten to the core, as are the Explorators for studying xenostech and its weaknesses, the entirety of the Ordo Xenos, as well as anyone that dares board a vessel being led through the Warp by a.... <shudder> mutant Navigator.

Oof... those Orders Dialogous as well, researching Xenos Artefacts? Translating heretical texts for analysis? Grave heresy right there.

-----------------------

Its easy to call yourself Puritan, but its a false title at best. Hypocrisy is a core trait of the Imperium, even if there are those whose "faith" leaves them too blind to see it.

You forgot the obviohs target here, the adeptus mechanicus andntheir machinen god. Of course if you called a tech priest a heretic he'd probably just have a Titan step on you.

25 minutes ago, SCKoNi said:

-----------------------

Inquisitor Greyfax seems to think so, she doesn't trust the saint one bit.

Oh and once gathering storm part 3 comes out it will get even better: (already confirmed) Roboutte Guilliman with his Ultramarines (perfectly normal) and the Grey Knights (still perfectly normal) AND Cypher and the fallen. (Helllo! Wait what?) This is gonna get interesting...

Edited by Robin Graves
3 minutes ago, Professor Tanhauser said:

You forgot the obviohs target here, the adeptus mechanicus andntheir machinen god. Of course if you called a tech priest a heretic he'd probably just have a Titan step on you.

Technically "invention" is (techno) heresy. So are AI's (forbidden by the Emperor) and the obvious "no making daemon engines unless you ar derkmech, ok?"

Not kidding about invention either. Progress is dead. Unless you are the effin deathwatch aparantly. Of course it actually depends on who you are.. If you are fabricator general on some deep space small forgeworld, then nobody will question what you are doing. If you are astartes its ok to slap all your devastor weapons on a Rhino and call it aPredator, and the admech will aprove of it- after 200 years of testing! (The marines already had been using those vehcles for 199 years. at that point) but if you're a simple guardsman and you modify your backpack in the slightest and the ministorum finds out-hooooooooooooo boy!

Also according to the HH novels (SPOILER AHEAD) all the admech are heretics becuz they got a C'tan called the Dragon buried on mars acting as the "machine god". Altough it was the Emperor who planted it there to begin with, so that's all right.

21 minutes ago, Professor Tanhauser said:

Just curious, do you only post from mobile or something? Or is English not your first language?

Anyways The Ecclesiarchy already decrees the tenets of the Machine God as heresy. They're just not about to pick that fight.

And not just any old tech priest gets to tell a titan what to do. There's an entire separate legion dedicated to such a thing, and even then the Princep of the titan would have to deem it a worthy act.

8 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Technically "invention" is (techno) heresy. So are AI's (forbidden by the Emperor) and the obvious "no making daemon engines unless you ar derkmech, ok?"

Invention by everyone is heretical. Invention by high ranking members of the Mechanicus that is eventually approved by Mars Magi council is ok.

The IoM has obvious examples of invention/improvement that cannot be explained away. New technology does exist. Mesh armor for one example.

Just now, ThenDoctor said:

Invention by everyone is heretical. Invention by high ranking members of the Mechanicus that is eventually approved by Mars Magi council is ok.

The IoM has obvious examples of invention/improvement that cannot be explained away. New technology does exist. Mesh armor for one example.

Wait, Isn't mesh, a type of Eldar armor?

1 minute ago, Robin Graves said:

I see you haven't played any of the 40k RPGs, the Imperium has several types of Mesh Armour it produces.

3 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

It's an imperial design based on an Eldar example. Not that anyone's about to admit that.

They pretty explicitly state as such in nearly any example of the armor in the games.

4 minutes ago, ThenDoctor said:

Just curious, do you only post from mobile or something? Or is English not your first language?

Anyways The Ecclesiarchy already decrees the tenets of the Machine God as heresy. They're just not about to pick that fight.

And not just any old tech priest gets to tell a titan what to do. There's an entire separate legion dedicated to such a thing, and even then the Princep of the titan would have to deem it a worthy act.

The sad part is they don't need the titan, all they gotta do is refuse to fix your stuf:

Ecclesiarch: "The machine god is a false eidolon! There is only the Emperor!"

Admech; "We call him the Omnissiah! we DO worship the Emperor!"

E: "Nonesence! It's the Emperor, dammit! Or Him on Earth. You are a filthy heretic!"

A: "B1te M3!"

2 hours later:

E: "My cyber cherub is broken! Fix it!"

A: "NO."

E: "What? Oh come on!"

A: "NO.

E: "please?"

A: "Say it...."

E: "Sigh. Fine. You are not a heretic. Hail the omnissiah!"

A: "There. Now let's look at you cyber cherub shall we?"

As of the new admch codexes things have gotten worse with that whole "motive force" thing.

7 minutes ago, SCKoNi said:

I see you haven't played any of the 40k RPGs, the Imperium has several types of Mesh Armour it produces.

Yeah because I remember every piece of gear in these books... plus it's been more thana year since I last played. And that was a CSM.

Edited by Robin Graves

Well, I'd assume you'd remember an entire class of Armour. There's only six of them in the entire game anyway (Primitive, Flak, Mesh, Carapace, Power, Exotic).

3 minutes ago, SCKoNi said:

Well, I'd assume you'd remember an entire class of Armour. There's only six of them in the entire game anyway (Primitive, Flak, Mesh, Carapace, Power, Exotic).

I never said the imperials didn't have it, al I remembered was it being a typical eldar armor. Wich is correct.

also you forgot one: "Contempt". That's the one used by Commisars, Priests or other puritan loonies who think they are bulletproof if the Emperor wils it. :D

3 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

I never said the imperials didn't have it,

23 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

You know, its better to look at previous posts you've made before trying to correct someone that's trying to help you.

18 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Admech; "We call him the Omnissiah! we DO worship the Emperor!"

There are two schools of theology within the Mechanicus. Those that believe they are separate and those that believe they are one and the same.

Just now, SCKoNi said:

You know, its better to look at previous posts you've made before trying to correct someone that's trying to help you.

How is "Wait, Isn't mesh, a type of Eldar armor? " the same as "I never said the imperials didn't have it, "???

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mesh_armour

Just now, ThenDoctor said:

There are two schools of theology within the Mechanicus. Those that believe they are separate and those that believe they are one and the same.

True. The admech in my litlle dialogue was of the faction that believed them to be the same."

"Of alien design and sometimes manufacture" Dark Heresy Core Rulebook.

Sometimes manufacture is key here.

Just now, Robin Graves said:

True. The admech in my litlle dialogue was of the faction that believed them to be the same."

Well that faction is wrong since the Omnisiah is the Void Dragon so that's their problem.

5 hours ago, ThenDoctor said:

Just curious, how long did it take people to realize that the doctor who circumcisced you threw away the wrong piece?

Edited by Professor Tanhauser
8 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Not kidding about invention either. Progress is dead. Unless you are the effin deathwatch aparantly. Of course it actually depends on who you are.. If you are fabricator general on some deep space small forgeworld, then nobody will question what you are doing. If you are astartes its ok to slap all your devastor weapons on a Rhino and call it aPredator, and the admech will aprove of it- after 200 years of testing! (The marines already had been using those vehcles for 199 years. at that point) but if you're a simple guardsman and you modify your backpack in the slightest and the ministorum finds out-hooooooooooooo boy!

Also according to the HH novels (SPOILER AHEAD) all the admech are heretics becuz they got a C'tan called the Dragon buried on mars acting as the "machine god". Altough it was the Emperor who planted it there to begin with, so that's all right.

Yeah, that was probably not long after necrons came out and the c'tan were their masters while all necrons were basically robots. That may have been retconned away in later editions where many necrons kept most of their mindds and personalities, and turned the tables on the c'tan by shattering them. Under the current rules at best empy (Be sure to call the emperor empy now and then, it ticks off the fanatical loyalists.) could have put a shard of a c'tan on mars.

Personally I like like the way the AM is normally portrayed as evolving into existence after the dark age, the age of strife and the disasters that hit the terraformed mars.

8 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Yeah because I remember every piece of gear in these books... plus it's been more thana year since I last played. And that was a CSM.

Yeah, in the 1st edition the eldar wore mesh or carapace armor.

8 hours ago, ThenDoctor said:

It's like how some strains of christianity believe that jesus was the son of god and some believe that they are in fact the same. The ecclisiarchy is all based on old catholic dark age practices.