Mastering the Game >> Announcing the Game Master's Toolkit

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

One of the cryptic shadows hinted at earlier by Grey Wizard Gavius Klugge in our Shifting Through Shadows preview has finally become clear – I’m pleased to announce the upcoming Game Master’s Toolkit for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

The Game Master’s Toolkit is a valuable resource for both new and veteran Game Masters. The toolkit is filled with a number of helpful tools and adventure seeds for Game Masters to enhance their Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay games, as well as provides more advice and suggestions to help refine their GM skills and get the most out of the materials and rules provided with the game.

Read more about it here .

..and here it is :)

jh

Still no words on Halflings?! :-(

Great news ! A really nice illustration, more high fantasy style than grimmy style :)

An other point is that I really prefer Landscape A4 GMscreen (like wfrp 2nd ed or Savage Customizable GM screen) because it's lower and doesn't "cut" me from the players... What would I hide behind a such high screen ? happy.gif a secret soda bottle maybe... I will have to stand up so the players can see my roleplaying's moves (hands and stuffs...) because I'm not very tall.

Well, I wonder how much this is going to cost me? I'm perfectly content with the GM Sheets created by HedgeWizard loaded in my Customizable GM Screen. With HedgeWizard's sheets, I don't have to reference the rulebook as it is now and I'd rather have the info needed on the screen than page references that force me to look something up in the rulebook. I am curious how you are supposed to use the built in progress tracker though. Are their 3M sticky note tokens? I can't imagine having to lay the screen flat to use it. I've already said I'd be buying the kit for the other content though, so that's what I'm more interested in. I use miniatures, so the standups don't appeal to me. A handful of locations and items along with a few more tokens, although useful, I could probably live without if there was no other reason to pick this up; however, I probably have to get this for the organization and nemesis rules unless they make the 48-page book available as a pdf. Still probably would want the organization sheets though. Oh who am I kidding? I just can't seem to resist giving FFG my money on this line.

Very intrigued by the content in the book; and look forward to the additional component content. I really hope a magic focused supplement is shortly on its way, as that's the next component for myself and my group.

Very much looking forward to this FFG.

I have a quick question about the screen. Is it of the same build-quality as the recent Rogue Trader GM screen, made of heavy cardstock and joined by fabric? That is, without any doubt, the best GM screen I've ever had the fortune to buy. My sincere hope is that the WFRP screen is as good.

Very interesting!

I certainly hope that Nemisis Chaarcters will be cards based - as I really think that having stats on cards (as opposed to the two-page bestiary spread) would make things easier on the GM.

All-in-all, this looks good.

I am curious how you are supposed to use the built in progress tracker though.

I expect it's either along the bottom of the screen so you can use tokens, or on an edge so you can use clips.

I have a quick question about the screen. Is it of the same build-quality as the recent Rogue Trader GM screen, made of heavy cardstock and joined by fabric? That is, without any doubt, the best GM screen I've ever had the fortune to buy. My sincere hope is that the WFRP screen is as good.

I totally agree about the RT screen, and hope WFRP screen is the same. However, from the glimpse on the picture it appears to be similar to the DH screen. Certainly not bad, but not the "boardgame board" quality of the RT screen.

I only have 5 words to say....

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! PLEASE!

schoon said:

Very interesting!

I certainly hope that Nemisis Chaarcters will be cards based - as I really think that having stats on cards (as opposed to the two-page bestiary spread) would make things easier on the GM.

All-in-all, this looks good.

The text says "The book ... introduces new rules for Nemesis Characters and Nemesis Organisations to challenge the heroes. Armed with the resources found in this toolkit, a GM will always be ready for action!". I don't know how we should interprete this - do the resources found in this toolkit refer to Nemesis Character Cards and Nemesis Organisation sheets?!?

I certainly hope we will have NPC and monster cards, but I am not sure we will have them this time...

Definitely looks sweet, any chance it'll include stuff to add an additional player or two to the mix?

Would be very good if this set included a replacement card for each of the cards with errors in from the core set; Icy Stare and Unhinged.

Book and rules on Nemesis enemies is of interest, less worried about the screen and tokens and stuff, if they are more of the same, but a nice to have I guess.

It will get bought, wonder when it might be arriving?

Unfortunately, play.com put the release date back for my core set.

however with the information now available that we will in the very near future be getting a GM screen, i have to say, im greatly looking forward to it, seeing as this will be my first venture into the RPG realm, i have GW'ed for quite a few years now, and i have played a few games of munchkin through a friend but i don't think that really counts.

Have heard alot of good and bad stuff about the new edition, seeing as it will be my first im hoping it will be a good one :)

mac40k said:

Well, I wonder how much this is going to cost me?

$29.95 according to the product page. The same as the AdvToolkit.

mac40k said:

I am curious how you are supposed to use the built in progress tracker though. Are their 3M sticky note tokens? I can't imagine having to lay the screen flat to use it.

I imagine you can have cardboard tokens that sit on top of the screen, or simply have a progress tracker at the bottom of the screen and lay the token flat in front of it.

I hope the basic actions cards are printed in the screen.

Hmm. As a huge fan of WFRP 3E thus far, I have to say I'm kind of underwhelmed by this release. With the game lacking so many things - magic, more baddies, more careers, horses(?!) - I really don't feel the need for a GM screen and some extra stands. Oh, and a book that the Tome of Adventure already kind of covers.

I still might get it, because I love the direction this game is going, and I've been impressed with everything thus far. I just feel like a more fruitful product could have been focused on, given where we stand currently.

First thing is this that - this is what I was waiting for an official GM screen. I hope it will be as good as it looks or even better. Can't wait for more news about it.

Oh and it would be great if the GM Toolkit would be avaliable with The Gathering Storm. :)

Scelous said:

Hmm. As a huge fan of WFRP 3E thus far, I have to say I'm kind of underwhelmed by this release. With the game lacking so many things - magic, more baddies, more careers, horses(?!) - I really don't feel the need for a GM screen and some extra stands. Oh, and a book that the Tome of Adventure already kind of covers.

I still might get it, because I love the direction this game is going, and I've been impressed with everything thus far. I just feel like a more fruitful product could have been focused on, given where we stand currently.

Yep I kind of agree, but it's a classic release type for a newly released RPG ain't it.

This one does at least seem to have some more relevant rules and stuff than most GM screen packs.

The screen and tokens are almost perpherial this time, for me at least, compared to the nemesis rules. I just hope they live up to expectation, and aren't some poorly devised, barely useful concepts, added simply to try and pad out the screen pack (seen that in many many other GM screen packs).

I do like the current rule set FFG have devised for NPCs though, it offers up a lot of freedom and options, that with a bit of tweaking I am eager to use (I'm having the A/C/E pot per NPC not NPC type and still considering ignoring the "action on cooldown on cool down for everyone" rule too. Im certainly ignoring that for active defences...). If the nemesis rules add sufficiently to that, I'll be happy enough.

Bit concerned that the organisation sheets will be a bit pointless if you tweak the rules (changing how A/C/E is tracked for instance), but I'm willing to wait and see, for now.

I suspect the organizations will be along the lines of a Thieves' Guild or Merchant Guild, as well as the WFRP staple, the Chaos Cult. This will be organizations that the PCs can interact with in a similar manner to NPCs, only they represent the entire organization, not individuals. Similar to Party Sheets, members of an organization derive certain benefits from association with that organization, but the organization as a whole has its own motivations rather than just being the collection of the motivations of its individual members.

I heared that The Gathering Storm should be avaliable march 2010, and for the GM Toolkit we must wait until april 2010. We will see, maybe it will be avaliable a little bit sooner.

I think it is nice to have the toolkit, but I would prefer it would be one of the last items. There is nothing that I see is essential in the toolkit to help the game. There are several key feature missing from the game for me.

• Completing the initial two ranks of Magic: 1)Filling in the lores and cults,2)Non human magic, 3)Dark and Chaos Magic
  • Providing higher tier careers (include the wizard, priest)
  • Haflings !!!
  • How are Mutations handles

Unlike its predecessors, the 3E system is not complete. The longer this stays the case the greater the disappointment.

Scelous said:

I think the core set and initial releases are aimed primarily at new RPG players and this is another resource that will help them immensely, while existing players should hopefully see something new in the campaign.

nub5 said:

I think it is nice to have the toolkit, but I would prefer it would be one of the last items. There is nothing that I see is essential in the toolkit to help the game. There are several key feature missing from the game for me.

• Completing the initial two ranks of Magic: 1)Filling in the lores and cults,2)Non human magic, 3)Dark and Chaos Magic
  • Providing higher tier careers (include the wizard, priest)
  • Haflings !!!
  • How are Mutations handles

Unlike its predecessors, the 3E system is not complete. The longer this stays the case the greater the disappointment.

I guess people have different needs. I think it is natural thing to release the GM screen at this stage. When we get it, we will use it in every session thereafter. We have made our PCs and are playing, so we don't need rules for PC halflings. It is easy for the GM to make up mutations and weird spells, when the occational need occurs. However, we will probably need the higher ranking wizard and priest careers in half-a-year or so. Our most urgent needs are (1) a long-term campaign, and (2) better NPC/monster managing tools (NPC/monster cards and action cards).

Hopefully, there will be something for all of us!

I hope that there will be at least some rules for disease, and mutations.

3-rd ed lacks that badly.

I can live without halfings, and can wait for more spells, and spell schools a bit longer till the magic addon is released, but disease and mutations are at the core of warhammer (at least as I see it), and I want it as soon as posible (best for about 2 weeks ago).

Scelous said:

I kinda agree - it doesn't sound like we get much new with this. An unfortunately very common trait in GM accessories is a focus on the screen and maybe a few GM tips but not on new content. I guess it's nice with some more locations and a bunch of quick game ideas can sometime be useful, but it's not really what I feel the game needs most right now.

I do hope we get rules for mounts, disease, chaos (like effects on spellcasting) and mutations - and an explanation of the career system so that even if we as GM's don't have advanced careers for our players, can tell them what to expect when they come one day (the 5 we have are rather specific).