Mastering the Game >> Announcing the Game Master's Toolkit

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

I'll probably buy this because the bits seem useful and the Nemesis rules and organisations are intriguing. Oh, and I'm a sucker for 'new-shiny'.

What I find confusing is the constant wailing and gnashing of teeth over everything. Is an RPG ever complete? Yes the wizards and priests could do with expansion and yet to have included higher careers and another 100 spell cards would have served only to see other stuff left out of the box or the price go up even further (which is the other thing lots of people complain about). Mutations? Use the A/C/E to represent them, or modify stats, or whatever - it's not that tricky.

Sorry if I sound like I'm having a go, but honestly, if there isn't a specific rule for something you want to do in the game at the moment, make it up. Isn't RPGing about imagination after all?

Bertolac said:

I'll probably buy this because the bits seem useful and the Nemesis rules and organisations are intriguing. Oh, and I'm a sucker for 'new-shiny'.

What I find confusing is the constant wailing and gnashing of teeth over everything. Is an RPG ever complete? Yes the wizards and priests could do with expansion and yet to have included higher careers and another 100 spell cards would have served only to see other stuff left out of the box or the price go up even further (which is the other thing lots of people complain about). Mutations? Use the A/C/E to represent them, or modify stats, or whatever - it's not that tricky.

Sorry if I sound like I'm having a go, but honestly, if there isn't a specific rule for something you want to do in the game at the moment, make it up. Isn't RPGing about imagination after all?

I hate that last argument because it can be applied to anything and ultimately leads to - you don't even need to buy the game at all, just use your imagination...
Getting rules from developers rather than just making everything up ensures that they (at least at some level) have been playtested, will be balanced and fit in with current and future rules - something making mutation or disease rules probably won't.

I know it's my game and that I can do with it what I want, but those of us that are dissappointed by (what we percieve to be in) the GM box are so because we think that rules for certain things are more important than more GM advice, plot ideas and shiny stuff - and in my case because experience tells me that GM books are mostly shiny screens with a few rules thrown in as an afterthought. I hope it won't be the case here, but since some of the things I think are essential to Warhammer aren't mentioned I'm not optimistic about the usefulness of the box - I'm not expecting it to fill every since gap left by the core box but right now it doesn't look like it fill more than perhaps a few - but I hope I'm wrong and since we know very little I may be.

42! said:

I hate that last argument because it can be applied to anything and ultimately leads to - you don't even need to buy the game at all, just use your imagination...

And yet it's an outlook which prevents distress over perceived lack of rules. I suppose that if you don't want the GM Pack, you'll just need to chalk it up to a case of not being able to please everybody. I'd imagine that the GM pack will be seen as very useful to new players and there's a lot of interest in the extra bits.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not having a go - I'll just work with and around what's available and fill in the blanks myself.

One of the problems I have is that one of my players is a wizard, and he feels a bit iffy about his career. He has no way to tell if he'll like the higher level spells because they aren't in the game yet. He doesn't really have anything to look forward to as far as spells go, except maybe the one or so Rank 2 spell.

Need more spells please.

Mutations, diseases, halflings, and even a GM screen I can create on my own.

That'll be in the magic supplement that's in all likelihood the third of the 'shadows' from the preview. My guess is that it'll start being previewed after 'Gathering Storm' has been released in couple of months.

mac40k said:

I suspect the organizations will be along the lines of a Thieves' Guild or Merchant Guild, as well as the WFRP staple, the Chaos Cult. This will be organizations that the PCs can interact with in a similar manner to NPCs, only they represent the entire organization, not individuals. Similar to Party Sheets, members of an organization derive certain benefits from association with that organization, but the organization as a whole has its own motivations rather than just being the collection of the motivations of its individual members.

Ah, I took it to mean some sheets to help the GM organise their tokens and stuff for monsters and the like, but I like your take on the word organisation much better!

Makes sense as there are Nemesis organisations in the pack too

If the GM screen is on a nice thick board, I'll be picking this up. I enjoy the game as is and since I came from playing Warhammer Online and other FFG board games, I'm not experienced with what the game is missing.

I'll be getting it, that's a no brainer. My only questions are when and can I pre-order it at some point or will I simply have to wait for a note from amazon that its finally available? lol.

I'm partial to miniatures, myself, but the standups will fill the role nicely until my players and I get minis that are proper for the careers they will be running. Well, they'll do nicely as long as they are as sturdy as those released in the core box and the Adventurer's Toolkit. Either way, I am looking forward to this release quite eagerly.