Scum income question.

By Warior4356, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Yes, another one. I know this has been asked before , but none of the answers were that clear about it, or why it was that way.

Basically I am asking how does scum income scale as they level? Does it scale at all? And if it does scale can book references be provided? My GM tends to rule against the player's benefit if the rules are not explicit so it helps to have references.

Thanks.

It does not scale, a higher level scum is expected to perform heists or fence looted items to make money

Scum income increases only when Scum characteristics (Fel, Ag, Int) bonuses increase (table 5-2, Corebook, page 125)

2 hours ago, Jargal said:

Scum income increases only when Scum characteristics (Fel, Ag, Int) bonuses increase (table 5-2, Corebook, page 125)

Or Fate Points, should those increase.

Opps, just found that I always read FP in this table like second FB :)

Alright thanks. That's kinda disappointing. But there is always the option of dashing rouge noble scum.

One other question, on the topic of scum. How viable is a dual pistol scum compared to say a guardsman or an arbiter? My idea was swords and pistols scum who functioned as a party face.

If thats really not the most useful who else makes a useful face? I presume cleric and arbitrators?

Double Pistol scum can be very, very effective in combat, sometimes exceeding the abilities of other combat characters because of the sheer weight of fire they can bring to bear. A mixed melee-ranged character with swords and pistols can be tricky to play, but very rewarding.

39 minutes ago, SCKoNi said:

Double Pistol scum can be very, very effective in combat, sometimes exceeding the abilities of other combat characters because of the sheer weight of fire they can bring to bear. A mixed melee-ranged character with swords and pistols can be tricky to play, but very rewarding.

Can you offer any build ideas for that? As well what are the weaknesses of it?

There are no builds in Dark Heresy... and everyone has inherent weaknesses. This is 40k, not D&D.

Buy the skills and talents that you think make sense for the character and their personality, and buy weapons appropriate to the tech-level of the world or Sector the party operates in or the weaponry of the factions or groups they want to infiltrate.

Long as you have some decent Ballistic Skill and Agility, the Two-Weapon Fighting Talent and Ambidextrous you're gonna be fine.

3 hours ago, Warior4356 said:

One other question, on the topic of scum. How viable is a dual pistol scum compared to say a guardsman or an arbiter? My idea was swords and pistols scum who functioned as a party face.

Metallican Gunslinger is built off that and is possibly one of the most effective early alternate careers for any class to take.

Not necessarily as a face, but as a dual pistol wielder.

And don't forget to read Errata about Two-Weapon wielding.

12 hours ago, Warior4356 said:

Alright thanks. That's kinda disappointing. But there is always the option of dashing rouge noble scum.

If thats really not the most useful who else makes a useful face? I presume cleric and arbitrators?

Nobleborn Scum are ridiculous to the point I would personally house rule that the Scum income overrides the Nobleborn part. They're not as strong as something like a Templar Calix Psyker (or Psyker's in general) but they are VERY good, due to negating the Scum career's biggest weakness.

Dual pistol Scum is solid. I'd argue they're just as good as a guardsman or an Arbitrator in small skirmishes, and are much more effective against single heavy hitting attacks like most Heavy Weapons due to their generally better agility. Not as effective in larger encounters though, as a dual pistol scum has to get a lot closer to the opponent and you can only dodge two attacks a round, which leads to them getting overwhelmed if you don't have decent threatening support (dual pistol scum in conjunction with a melee Guardsman or Psyker would be good though).

Overall, Scum's shooting is pretty comparable to an Assassin.

As for party face? Yeah, Scum are one of the best Party faces you can get. Clerics are the only ones that are as good as Scum, and they're probably the best in general. Adepts and Arbitrators can be passable second-placers.

So to my reading you can get everything metallic an gunslinger offers at higher ranks. It appears that, taking that is mutually exclusive with being a noble born. Does it really offer enough benefit to outweighs the monetary bonus of a noble born? It seems to me taking the longer slower road is better than taking the gunslinger.

Also so does any have segfust ions for particular gems of pistols that one might miss just skimming the books?.

17 hours ago, Warior4356 said:

So to my reading you can get everything metallic an gunslinger offers at higher ranks. It appears that, taking that is mutually exclusive with being a noble born. Does it really offer enough benefit to outweighs the monetary bonus of a noble born? It seems to me taking the longer slower road is better than taking the gunslinger.

It's really a matter of how patient do you want to be.

You can pretty quickly (with the Slinger class) become utterly devastating with around 500-1000xp some things are cheaper too.

The Noble currency is only useful if you have access to the things you want to buy.

17 hours ago, ColArana said:

They're not as strong as something like a Templar Calix Psyker (or Psyker's in general).

Oh Throne...don't remind me. Force Sword and Psychic Sword dual wield *shudder*.

7 minutes ago, ThenDoctor said:

It's really a matter of how patient do you want to be.

You can pretty quickly (with the Slinger class) become utterly devastating with around 500-1000xp some things are cheaper too.

The Noble currency is only useful if you have access to the things you want to buy.

Oh Throne...don't remind me. Force Sword and Psychic Sword dual wield *shudder*.

I mean how else will I ever afford dual inferno pistols and bolt pistols?

But honestly that is a minor expense compared to my extravengent hat budget

Edited by Warior4356
6 minutes ago, Warior4356 said:

I mean how else will I ever afford dual inferno pistols and bolt pistols?

Honestly it's really not necessarily the gun.

Not to mention you have to get talents for both of those. An autopistol generally never failed anyone too hard.

22 minutes ago, ThenDoctor said:

Honestly it's really not necessarily the gun.

Not to mention you have to get talents for both of those. An autopistol generally never failed anyone too hard.

Until you have to shoot someone in power armor.

6 minutes ago, Warior4356 said:

Until you have to shoot someone in power armor.

Manstopper bullets and Righteous Fury (which you have multiple chances of with fully automatic fire).

Never underestimate a scared Adept with an Autopistol.

Hmmm point taken. Hey random thing, do you have an experience with the untouchable trait thingy? Is is a problem? Or useful?

9 hours ago, Warior4356 said:

Hmmm point taken. Hey random thing, do you have an experience with the untouchable trait thingy? Is is a problem? Or useful?

Well DH1's Untouchables are way more effective than DH2's. Basically it means you can't have a psyker in the party.

2 hours ago, ThenDoctor said:

Basically it means you can't have a psyker in the party.

AFAIR the radius of Psychic Disruption is only WPB in meters.

1 hour ago, Jargal said:

AFAIR the radius of Psychic Disruption is only WPB in meters.

I don't remember either, but it's still a headache.

Narratively speaking no psyker really likes being around Untouchables and you get into this awkward thing when you aren't in combat.

34 minutes ago, ThenDoctor said:

Narratively speaking no psyker really likes being around Untouchables and you get into this awkward thing when you aren't in combat.

-10 to Interaction test only, by Radical Handbook. Not only for psykers, btw, for all.

3 minutes ago, Jargal said:

-10 to Interaction test only, by Radical Handbook. Not only for psykers, btw, for all.

Note Narrative in the phrase.

I just find it more hassle than it's worth. Eventually you're going to be cooped up right next to one another and it's just frustrating.

Because if you've got both in the party how is the GM not going to be inclined to do that at certain points. Even then it depends on the areas you fight in.