Showcase: Z95 Headhunter

By Piscopas, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Favorite page!

13 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

Favorite page!

Me too. There’s just something about the Z-95s that appeals to me a lot.

For me the Z is just the best ship for both looking Star Wars AND looking Real World, so a lot of real world or real world-ish schemes work really well on it. C.f. N'Dru's, which would look derpy on many other SW ships.

This is a nice paint scheme:

swz37_anc_ship-image.png

So I know many of the Nashta Pup cards show the Pup as a normal Z, but wasn't it modified? Does anybody have any cool modifications besides repaints to set apart Bossk's escape craft?

I saw somewhere that someone had switched an X-wing fuselage with the Zed's. So it really looked like an X-wing in the end. Besides that and lighting the engines, I can't say that there are many mods. You could be one of the first! Switch out the engine pods for the ones from an E or a Kihraxz. That would give it a subtle, but custom look, no?

On 12/8/2018 at 9:02 AM, BrotherFett said:

So I know many of the Nashta Pup cards show the Pup as a normal Z, but wasn't it modified? Does anybody have any cool modifications besides repaints to set apart Bossk's escape craft?

I didn't intend it as a Hound's Tooth, but I did put some T-70 wings on a Z-95 to match a common mod that people did to Z's in the comics (I think Wedge flew one that had split engines and S-Foils like this):

88054e5ad4b5ae66427cd5dd6fbf6c51.jpg 75ad5001af4f0debe1b048d18a20f191.jpg c65aa9ac0b55a2b30944d45c1468a02b.jpg

1 hour ago, Kieransi said:

I didn't intend it as a Hound's Tooth, but I did put some T-70 wings on a Z-95 to match a common mod that people did to Z's in the comics (I think Wedge flew one that had split engines and S-Foils like this):

88054e5ad4b5ae66427cd5dd6fbf6c51.jpg 75ad5001af4f0debe1b048d18a20f191.jpg c65aa9ac0b55a2b30944d45c1468a02b.jpg

Looks allot like what Booster Terrik (Corran Horn's father in-law) did to his Z-95. Beautifully done as usual. :)

4 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Looks allot like what Booster Terrik (Corran Horn's father in-law) did to his Z-95. Beautifully done as usual. :)

Thanks! I think it's actually the same one then, Wedge borrowed the Z in question from Terrik in the comic I'm thinking of

6 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Thanks! I think it's actually the same one then, Wedge borrowed the Z in question from Terrik in the comic I'm thinking of

I wouldn't doubt it, in Stackpole's X-Wing series Wedge considered Mirya (Corran's future wife/ Booster's daughter) as a kid sister and was fairly miffed over Horn's personalization of the professional head butting that Booster and Corran's father were engaged in (smuggler Terrik vs Cor Sec Horn senior).

Edited by Hiemfire
On 12/10/2018 at 8:55 PM, Kieransi said:

The image in question:

latest?cb=20180223030658

Here's the Z-95 that Airen Cracken flies in my "Bat Squadron".

s5NbR30m.jpg

XFRqMk4m.jpg

7KxYQBKm.jpg

vGWUJoI.png

This was my first ever X-Wing paint(/conversion) job. I had been avoiding painting any X-Wing miniatures for a variety of reasons. It was a huge hassle for me in past games and I didn't want to face that again, I lacked the confidence, and I didn't really feel the need to. For the most part, I like the ships because of their canonical designs.

So what brought me into the world of painting X-Wing miniatures was a game called Empyrion. In that game, I had built myself a custom ship inspired by the X-Wing. One time at my local game store, however, it occurred to me that it could be fun to, in turn, modify an X-Wing miniature to resemble my ship from the game. While my ship was inspired by the X-Wing, it seemed a Z-95 miniature would probably be closest to what it actually looked like (although in hindsight an E-Wing may have worked better).

There's nothing really special about this design, and it's somewhat messy, but I thought it would be fun to share anyway.

Edited by Jokubas
23 hours ago, Jokubas said:

There's nothing really special about this design, and it's somewhat messy, but I thought it would be fun to share anyway.

It is a Star Wars ship with logical weapon systems positioning which is extremely rare (outside some of the TIEs), I'd call that pretty dang special. :) Looks really nice.

Edited by Hiemfire
On 1/19/2019 at 7:04 AM, Hiemfire said:

It is a Star Wars ship with logical weapon systems positioning which is extremely rare (outside some of the TIEs)

Starvipers have a logical gun placement as well. Now if the engines where placed as 4 pieces far out, it would be one of the most logical ships.

But then Star Wars never was logical :) The X-wing is a bad construction for space combat, it would be much better like these ones

latest?cb=20120814152627

But enough of derailing. Let's go back to awesome Z95s!

Gull-Wing Z-95 Nashta Pup Conversion

Since acquiring a Hounds Tooth for my X-wing scum forces I've wanted to paint up a matching Z-95 for the Nastha Pup escape craft. There are some good tutorials on how to do it but I wanted to do something a bit different. It was my thinking that if a ship were to be carried in a hanger it would need folding wings. I wanted my pup to be gull-winged.

To accomplish this I used a jeweler's saw to under cut each wing at the root and bent them down, closing the newly-created saw kerf with some plastic cement. Then I added some winglets made from plastic card to complete the effect. I've re-painted it in my interpretation of the pup's color scheme. I left off the top beak 'teeth'. Even though the card art shows them, I didn't like the look of them on such a small model. This mod and re-paint took a couple of hours, but I feel it was well worth the time.

IMG_20190423_172637.thumb.jpg.5704d0f60aae7aaed1ecf16d601a9ff5.jpg

IMG_20190423_172644.jpg

IMG_20190423_172655.jpg

IMG_20190423_172803.jpg

This is my first X-Wing model repaint. I haven't painted very many minis, I started painting with Imperial Assault but man painting storm troopers is repetitive. I had more fun with droids so I figured I'd take a spare Headhunter(I have 6) and see what would happen. I'm really happy with how it turned out. My 5yo nicknamed it "Blue Fury," I didn't have the heart to explain to him how little "fury" Z95s normally have. Now I'm thinking about what to paint next, and there is a lot of really nice looking ships on this sub-forum. Lots of inspiration.

5mYb773.jpg

2 hours ago, Burius1981 said:

I didn't have the heart to explain to him how little "fury" Z95s normally have.

With the right upgrades their "fury" can be quite self destructive... :) Beautifully painted.

15 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

With the right upgrades their "fury" can be quite self destructive... :) Beautifully painted.

I was telling one of my buddies at the FLGS last night that the hardest part about painting this ship was figuring out what list to run it in since Z95s are kinda bad lol. I think I'll try an X-Wing or Y-Wing next. Something that I can feel good about putting on the table.

Hey now. Cracken and Blount aren't bad, nor is N'dru. You have to put them in the proper list though to make them shine.

2 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Hey now. Cracken and Blount aren't bad, nor is N'dru. You have to put them in the proper list though to make them shine.

I play Scum mostly and I haven't had much success with N'Dru. To be honest I haven't had much luck with Z95s since long before 2.0. I'd rather have Blount or Cracken than N'Dru any day. Their abilities are easier to trigger.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:28 AM, Burius1981 said:

I play Scum mostly and I haven't had much success with N'Dru.

N'dru is a flanker. He can pop very easy but this build looks fun :)

N’dru Suhlak (31)
Predator (2)
Cloaking Device (5)
Afterburners (6)
Total: 44

X-Wing and Z-95.

IMG-1113.jpg  

Tuskeegee Airmen Red Tails X-Wing and Z-95s. 

IMG-1117.jpg 
IMG-1120.jpg 

N'Dru

CbLarbR.jpg NbncBwE.jpg Yd4unlI.jpg

Karthakk Zed

IWVkFM0.jpg

Quick repaint for a list I ended up deciding never to fly. Looking at the pictures it appears I still need to go back and clean up some of the highlighting...

image000001_13.jpg?width=810&height=608

image000002_09.jpg?width=810&height=608