Floor plan software...?

By Kage2020, in Dark Heresy

I wasn't quite sure which of the fora to use to ask this, so I thought that I would stick with the general one. Anyway, a little sub-project that is going over on Anargo is the "Venturer" project, wherein we intend to take a small (ish) and ancient vessel of the Imperium and then produce RPG statistics for the ship, the sub-vessels and equipment, the crew (old and new), 3d models (Sketchup and rendered), etc....

More importantly and of greater relevance to my question is that we also intend to provide (eventually) complete floor plans for the 1.2 km-long vessel.

Thus, for those who have engaged in this type of activity before, what software did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Kage

Dundjinni is ok for this. They sell different packs and there is plenty of free user generated content (including a lot of sci fi stuff) on their website for download.

Hellebore

Thanks for that, Hellebore. Have you used the software package before and, if so, what were your experiences of it (scope of the project, the user interface, or whatever else you can think of)? I'm noting that you use the word "okay" in reference to the software, so before I bought multiple seats for the guys over at Anargo , I just thought that I would check. gran_risa.gif

Do we have any other suggestions?

Kage

I've only had limited experience with it and then only the fantasy stuff which worked a bit like a Paint programme using textures (ie paint on the grass, paint some dirt etc). Trees and rocks are seperate objects, but floor textures are painted too iirc. You can overlay a grid (or hex) with different sizes specified (so that the computer knows what scale to represent each object). if the grid was 5x5 yards it would represent an object much smaller than if it was put in a 1x1 yard grid.

The scifi stuff looks really good (nice 3d shapes) but is very Star wars/trek in terms of cleaness (ie lack of random gothic arches and skulls with superfluous steam venting).

I would suggest perusing their website for images etc to give you an idea.

http://www.dundjinni.com/

I think that the combat map in the WFRP 2nd ed book was done in Dundjinni (and the maps in the DH corebook adventure).

Hellebore

Thanks for the expansion, Hellebore. Since I'm going to be buying all the seats for the project, I don't want to get something that ultimately isn't going to help, or which requires a huge amount of modification before you can use it successfully. Ideally it would be modular, but if nothign else I know that Autosketch will do at a pinch. (Though it's a bit richer than I would hope. llorando.gif )

Again, thanks.

Kage