Can someone explain the Arborec Ability?

By Volbound1700, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

I don't understand "you may not build Ground Forces with your Space Docks."

Does that mean that you cannot build GF at all?

No this means that the only way for the Arborec to attain GF is to produce them with their existing GFs (since the Arborec GFs each have a build capacity of 1 [and yes they may also build everything else with their GFs]) or from their special ability that gives them... 1 (or 2?) new GFs every... Status phase I believe.

Yes they are very special plants...

6 hours ago, Fnoffen said:

No this means that the only way for the Arborec to attain GF is to produce them with their existing GFs (since the Arborec GFs each have a build capacity of 1 [and yes they may also build everything else with their GFs]) or from their special ability that gives them... 1 (or 2?) new GFs every... Status phase I believe.

Yes they are very special plants...

So let me make sure this is correct, GF can build items including other GFs? That is an awesome ability. Does the same rule of one resource produces two GFs work for them as well or can they only make one other GF?

Each GF has a build limit of 1 so you need to pay 1 resource but only get 1 new GF (or fighter or anything else). They have a racial tech that boost their GFs build limit to 2 however. The downside is that any GF that builds cannot move during the same... activation or round, not sure which.

Sprouting takes time, I suppose.

Edited by Fnoffen

Don't forget that they can still build with their space docks as well.

Summary:

Arborec Space Dock: Just like any other race's build rules except they cannot build GF.

Arborec GF: Each GF can build any thing but can only build 1 unit per GF. Also the GF cannot have moved that turn.

Clearly you need to get concentrate a lot on building as many GF as you can in order to get your production up to speed. This competes with the need to expand in the early game. It does have the advantage of eventually turning even a poor resource system into a major production hub. Ideally, you want that hub to be at a Resource rich world with space dock for even more production.