Anyone going to try IG-88 2.0 in a campaign?

By Armandhammer, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Everyone knows by now the IG-88 fix is on it’s way.

The decision to make it a skirmish attachment only upgrade is a little… odd.

I figured the majority agreed that he was underwhelming in both skirmish and campaign play.

Maybe I’m wrong.

Have others had luck with the robo-assassin in their campaign?

Any good class cards/agenda cards that make bringing him worthwhile?

Any thoughts on using the upgraded version in a campaign? A figure finally worth spending 12 threat on or too powerful?

3.jpg.f21ff59420098ed2ab63454a1477c82d.jpg

Edited by Armandhammer

The campaign's a little bit of a mixed bag as there are two ways to play a villain: as one of the starting/reserved groups or as one of the open groups.

For the open groups I think that the new version would probably work just fine in the campaign. If you're paying 12 threat to bring him out you're getting a lot more bang for your buck with the new version - it probably wasn't ever worth taking the old version at that cost and so people rarely did it.

However if IG-88 is one of the initial/reserved groups in the mission then adding in the new version might throw balance out of whack. Think that Fly Solo is tough now? Wait until Iggy gets an extra 2 bonus movement points and starts throwing focused attacks left and right.

If I were bringing the new version in to a campaign I would probably house-rule that the new version only applies if he is purchased for threat as one of the open groups.

2 hours ago, manatee_x said:

The campaign's a little bit of a mixed bag as there are two ways to play a villain: as one of the starting/reserved groups or as one of the open groups.

For the open groups I think that the new version would probably work just fine in the campaign. If you're paying 12 threat to bring him out you're getting a lot more bang for your buck with the new version - it probably wasn't ever worth taking the old version at that cost and so people rarely did it.

However if IG-88 is one of the initial/reserved groups in the mission then adding in the new version might throw balance out of whack. Think that Fly Solo is tough now? Wait until Iggy gets an extra 2 bonus movement points and starts throwing focused attacks left and right.

If I were bringing the new version in to a campaign I would probably house-rule that the new version only applies if he is purchased for threat as one of the open groups.

That makes sense - however, on the topic of Fly Solo, it seems like that mission is difficult because a squad of elite Stormtroopers spawn right next to Han, and get to activate before he does? Unless you get some lucky rolls or the Empire has no good upgrades, those will take out 50% or more of his health in 1 activation. When I last played they brought him down from full HP in a single activation + a bonus attack from an agenda card. IG-88 never even got to attack...

Maybe if Han gets a similar update, you can use the updated versions in that mission and Han will survive long enough to face off with him :D

How's to say that we won't get some kind of fix for campaign?

It's a skirmish only attachment because attachments only exist in skirmish. But they could still implement some other kind of option for campaign (not saying they will, but they could).

But yeah, I don't think many people would have an issue with house rulling that you can take this if you earn Iggy.

17 minutes ago, Abyss said:

How's to say that we won't get some kind of fix for campaign?

It's a skirmish only attachment because attachments only exist in skirmish. But they could still implement some other kind of option for campaign (not saying they will, but they could).

But yeah, I don't think many people would have an issue with house rulling that you can take this if you earn Iggy.

IG-88 is a reserved group in a Jabba’s Realm story mission. You’d think a campaign fix would have come before or in Jabba’s Realm. Instead, FFG opted to specifically release a skirmish only attachment after the release.

25 minutes ago, Armandhammer said:

IG-88 is a reserved group in a Jabba’s Realm story mission. You’d think a campaign fix would have come before or in Jabba’s Realm. Instead, FFG opted to specifically release a skirmish only attachment after the release.

That's a fair point.

The thing about Iggy, though, is that he's a core box hero- probably why he got an appearance in JR over someone more iconic like Boba or (arguably) Bossk. I'd say it was definitely a missed opportunity not to upgrade Iggy in JR, but if he's going to continue to be used, maybe at least a future installment can fix it. Same goes for Vader- if we're getting Endor, DS , or Scarif next, I hope we have a fixed Vader appearing in the campaign.

I'm going to try him in the campaign. The rebels are currently having a hard time as is, so maybe Iggy 2.0 will be overwhelming. Also, I'm running Tech Superiority and also have Imperial Industry, so that might make matters even worse. However, I won him as my first open group villain, so I really want to get some mileage out of him and make him the rebel's nemesis, and the way he was before he wasn't exactly scary, not for the equivalent cost of 2 stormtrooper squads anyway.

I feel like he is the perfect villain to haunt the rebel team, fluff-wise. Bounty hunter hired to get rid of a problem, always arriving right after the rebels stir up trouble. As far as all the unique villains go:

• Darth vader, RGC, Emperor, Sorin, Weiss, Jabba - too important to hound a bunch of rebels on (almost) every mission.
  • Kayn Somos is boring
  • Dengar, Blaise, Boba, Bossk and Terro are all nice candidates but already have their moments in the expansion campaigns
  • Maul doesn't even make sense (isn't he a mostly neutral party with his own interests, at least in the SW Rebels series?)
  • BT-1 and 0-0-0 are Vader's pets, but maybe that actually makes them somewhat plausible?
  • Greedo is a joke, not a proper villain

That leaves only the Inquisitor and Iggy as good repeating villains for the core campaign. And the Inquisitor is just a much better sell for 9 points than Iggy 1.0 for 12...

Edited by Kraemet

I actually think the Nemesis deck does a fair job of balancing the campaign for villains. Vader, Fett, RGC, and IG get a considerable discount and some really handy bonuses.

The problem is that with newer villains (Jabba and Terro are my preference) it’s totally overpowered.

On 7/18/2018 at 4:25 AM, bdgolish said:

I actually think the Nemesis deck does a fair job of balancing the campaign for villains. Vader, Fett, RGC, and IG get a considerable discount and some really handy bonuses.

The problem is that with newer villains (Jabba and Terro are my preference) it’s totally overpowered.

Terro, BT1, 000, Blaise, Greedo etc. are all good value for points. But also unique and not that durable, so when they goe down, you won't be dealing with them again at the start of the next round even though they're cheap. Good throwaway villains, enemies with a personality but not all that threatening.

The early villains, the classic guys, they were clearly supposed to be the opposite - but they are a joke, and instead of sowing terror into the rebels, if the IP chooses to save up and deploy them, it's functionally a relief for the rebels.

IG-88 is 10(!!) health, 1 space and 1-2 2dice attack.

A double squad of stormtroopers is 18 health, 6 blocking spaces, 6x 2dice attack. Unless you've got Fenn blasting away, it takes a lot more time to take them down.

Iggy is the worst and deservedly got a fix as well as Vader, and Boba and RGC may survive more than IG88, but they won't be as deadly as their worth in stormtroopers - could you do more with Vader or 9 stormtroopers? Death by a thousand cuts :)

The only good 'villainous' villain is imo the Grand Inquisitor. His 15 HP means he isn't going away too soon, and his 'remove dodge' ability makes him terrifying to white-defense heroes. Most of the time you won't regret fielding him instead of a group of elite Stromtroopers. RGC is basically the same unit but has less HP, an extra black die and brutality instead of (awesome) cleave 3. Is that worth SIX MORE points? Hardly.

All the old villains deserve lowering the deployment cost, because otherwise the missed opportunity cost of not fielding other units in X rounds is giving an advantage to the rebels that is not outweighed by the villain's impact. But until there's an official fix, I doubt the Rebels would be too happy with me bluntly shaving a few points off of RGC or Boba :)