Starting Units

By zero80, in Runewars

The rules says that recruit for starting units. Recruit one only resources?? Starting with one or two units??

i understand that you get units from all resources at the start

Game Setup, step 8. (pg 8)

...recruits units using his starting resources and places them in any area of his home realm...

I suppose each nations will have units and amounts equal to whatever their starting resource dials are set at.

All of the races start out with 2 of their most basic units (of which they have 16 figures) and one of each of their mid-range units (of which they have 8 figures each).

coobe said:

Correct. Your recruit units using ALL of your resources at the start of the game.

YourBestFriend said:

coobe said:

Correct. Your recruit units using ALL of your resources at the start of the game.

Correct. Which adds up to the figures Broken posted:-)

Elven Archers could be better than their sorceress, though, because of their initiative 1. The other races have 16 figures of their triangle 'footman' type unit.

Rules said, page 8

"He then recruits units using his starting resources and places them in any areas of his home realm (see “Recruiting Example” on page 35)."

Page 35 saId

"This order allows the player to choose ONE resource type (food, wood, or ore) and receive units based on that resource dial’s current space"

For me, recruit one only resource

zero80 said:

Rules said, page 8

"He then recruits units using his starting resources and places them in any areas of his home realm (see “Recruiting Example” on page 35)."

Page 35 saId

"This order allows the player to choose ONE resource type (food, wood, or ore) and receive units based on that resource dial’s current space"

For me, recruit one only resource

I have to agree it's absolutely possible to read the rules that way.

But it's highly unlikely the designers meant it to be read that way: your interpretation allows for only 1 or 2 starting units for every faction, meaning the first turn will be over very quickly and slowing down everyone's expansion for the entire game.

Your interpretation leads to another problem: do you gain a supremacy bonus 'recruiting' at startup?

I guess this issue should be covered in the FAQ

Can't find the 'edit' button...Edit:

-the setup diagram on page 10 clearly shows Daqan with the 4 starting units you get from using all 3 resources

- just noticed Yourbestfriend's signature reads: Corey Konieczka. So we can probably take his word for it:D

zero80 said:

Rules said, page 8

Page 35 saId

The text from page 8 is plural (resources) while the text on page 35 is singular (resource.) It seems pretty clear to me that the example on page 35 is of a general recruit order you would play during the game (which only gives you units from one dial), but the set up phase means to recruit from all dials, referencing the example on page 35 as how to do each one.

Also, as Charian points out, the guy who wrote these rules has already stepped forward to say it means "use all dials." =P

I know a guy that play yesterday with human and start with only two footman (recruit for starting unit with one resource)

zero80 said:

I know a guy that play yesterday with human and start with only two footman (recruit for starting unit with one resource)

The game designer (Corey Konieczka, aka "YourBestFriend") posted in this thread stating that you recruit using all of your resources at the beginning of the game.