using sw dice and duty, curoption, obligation,duty

By Silke, in WFRP House Rules

Hi I am woundering if anyone could tell me the diffrence between SW and wfrp dice mechanic,I myself am to new to both systems to understand as for now, what are the pros and drawbacks between them

And what about the obligation,duty, currotion rules would they fit in wfrp?

WFRP 3ed dice mechanics allows you to get some secondary outcomes for the check besides telling if the attempt was successful or not. Personally I like it very much.
As a drawback you roll many (up to 15-20) dice at once and have to deal with calculating the result. It eats time. You could use online dice rollers that would calculate everything for you, though.
Another drawback is that to me personally WFRP 3ed system doesn't feel well balanced.

The dice in Star Wars are an evolution of the dice mechanic in WFRP. I have not played much SW, but I have some boxes and my feeling is that they have streamlined some things in the dice mechanics, for example multiple dice of one type can be exchanged for another die, making dice pools smaller.

However, if you're thinking of using the SW dice for WFRP (or the other way around) you'd probably need to do some serious adjustments to the game. The system, while similar, differ enough that you cannot simply exchange the dice and keep the rest of the system as it is.

Regarding the balance issue dertarr mentioned I've played WFRP for many years now, and while the balance feels different from many other games, I feel it's actually a well balanced game.

I actually allready implement the ability on some rolls to exchange 3 Blacks for 1 Purple. Slightly less chance of a Fail but you get the chance of a Chaos Star added.

I don't know if you can really call this system well-balanced or not. It's not a game with a specified goal so the effectiveness of characters depends completely on what goal and obstacles the GM gives. It is worth keeping in mind though, that the odds are skewed in favour of whoever is making the roll. The game is designed with the intention of you generally succeeding unless you try something really difficult. So if you don't keep this in mind your players can easily be way too successfull. The big problem here is opposed tests, which should have been done completely differently (allthough taking the opposing characteristic and subtracting 2, to get the number of Difficulty Dice, actually works pretty decently).

Edited by Ralzar
24 minutes ago, Ralzar said:

The big problem here is opposed tests, which should have been done completely differently (allthough taking the opposing characteristic and subtracting 2, to get the number of Difficulty Dice, actually works pretty decently).

Is this how you run the opposed check nowdays Ralzar?

thanks guysfor your input on the games mechanics

Yeah, it's much easier and faster, the odds are about correct and it scales much, MUCH better than the official opposed check system.

Agreed with the use of Challenge dice = "opposing Stat -2" as a better way of scaling opposition.

Out-thinking an Int 6 foe is 4 Challenge dice - a test of your Int 6 if you have it, not a cakewalk of "same stats so 2 challenge dice".

I find the star wars dice too simplistic and like the WFRP system's multivariate outcome.

Thanks guys for you input and feedback, hat of for you

There was actually quite an evolution from WFRP3 to Star Wars:

Firstly the "average" characteristic dropped from 3 to 2, making for smaller dice pools.

The weight of boons and banes (called Advantage and threat in SW) was increased. Same goes for Comets & chaos stars (Triumph and Despair). Each of the Star Wars versions have a greater impact on the narrative.

Stance was removed and instead now Skill Ranks Upgrade your dice pool rather than increasing the number of dice. Again this reduces the amount of dice you roll. The Stance part is probably the biggest thing I miss in Star Wars, I really enjoyed the delay and exhaustion effect which where removed.

there was also a 3rd type of negative dice added. The Chaos Star was removed from the basic difficulty die and put onto this new upgraded difficulty (called a Challenge) die. Basically it means there's less risk in easier tasks and the GM has another avenue for making checks more difficult without increasing the number of dice in the pool.

Over all the effect is for more results from less dice, it's simpler essentially and a little easier to get your head around. Unfortunately the changes to the dice themselves makes a simple dice swap near impossible. Basically it's easier to rewrite the Star Wars system for a Fantasy setting than convert WFRP to new dice. The downside is that you end up with a more high fantasy setting than grim dark, making that change requires a little more work.

there are a couple of conversions out there for SW, check the Edge Of The Empire forums for details.