Need some input for a new EtoE GM

By gdotbat, in Game Masters

I consider myself a pretty good GM. I'm currently taking my group through Ravenloft (D&D 5e), I'm only using the printed campaign as a framework, most of what I present is my own. My group seems to love my narratives and story. We do a lot of narrative Roleplaying online via G+ (or Facebook) and run major encounters in person once a month. Once were done with Ravenloft I'm going to take a break while we finish a different campaign run by another GM, then we will start Edge of the Empire with me GM'ing again.

I've already started thinking about my campaign/campaigns for EtoE. I picked up Beyond the Rim, read it, liked it. Then I picked up Jewel of Yavin, read it, and liked it more. Truth be told I'll probably pick up Mask of the Pirate Queen as well, just to read for ideas. In any case I know I'm starting out with Debts Owed, the one from the GM screen, I figured it’s a nice intro, let my players get used to it and try out some characters, we already played the beginner adventure BTW.

But here's what I'm thinking about for my main campaign, and where I might need help. I really like The Ring (space station) from Beyond the Rim, and I really liked the first part of Jewel of Yavin (cloud city and the idea of stealing the gem, the rest is only 'meh'). A few years ago when the video game Star Wars 1313 was a big deal, I remember thinking, "Oh man! What a cool place to run a campaign!" I also just finished reading 'Star Wars Aftermath: Life Debt', and now I'm listening to it via audible (I like to read then listen, I get more out of it that way), and that time period, between Ep 6 and Ep 7, sounds like a REALLY cool time period to play in.

So! All that being said, I want to run a campaign borrowing pieces from the printed campaigns, maybe take them into an area of the Galaxy, Level 1313 on Coruscant, that has little to no printed material on, and set it in the period sometime ABY. How hard will this be with EtoE? Like I said, I'm a pretty good GM, I can craft a good compelling and engaging story around this all day long no big deal, and in D&D I could do something like this easy as well. I have no experience with EotE though, so I'm not sure if this is something the system encourages, or makes it difficult.

Thanks for any input!

Edited by gdotbat
spelling

Sounds to me like you’re a perfect candidate for EotE! Some people have trouble doing anything that isn’t straight out of the books, and some people take the books as settings and suggestions and then weave their own worlds and stories from the basic ingredients that are given to them. You can bring as much or as little imagination as you like to this system, and since it tends to be heavily narrative-driven, that should still work.

1 hour ago, gdotbat said:

So! All that being said, I want to run a campaign borrowing pieces from the printed campaigns, maybe take them into an area of the Galaxy, Level 1313 on Coruscant, that has little to no printed material on, and set it in the period sometime ABY. How hard will this be with EtoE? Like I said, I'm a pretty good GM, I can craft a good compelling and engaging story around this all day long no big deal, and in D&D I could do something like this easy as well. I have no experience with EotE though, so I'm not sure if this is something the system encourages, or makes it difficult.

You shouldn't have any trouble, though you might want to run a couple of sessions as a trial (maybe starting with a beginner box) to get a feel for the rules before everybody commits to a longer-term character. Another option is the module "Under a Black Sun", which is a PDF that should be available on the EotE product or support pages. That gives a good intro to the rules, while also getting you right into the setting you're talking about.

If you've played a lot of D&D, you'll find this very different in a lot of ways. It's too much to launch into here, but if you run a simple starting module you'll get the hang of it.

As for setting, you can do anything you want. Nominally the setting is around the end of the first death star, but there's nothing in the rules that requires this. EotE characters would be a perfect fit for at 1313 campaign, but then, so would any of the other books (AoR or F&D). And on the 1313 note: there are several Clone Wars episodes that take place in the Coruscant underworld, a couple even on levels that are 1313-adjacent :) They're worth a watch even if only for the visuals.

On 1/26/2017 at 7:20 PM, whafrog said:

If you've played a lot of D&D, you'll find this very different in a lot of ways. It's too much to launch into here, but if you run a simple starting module you'll get the hang of it.

As for setting, you can do anything you want. Nominally the setting is around the end of the first death star, but there's nothing in the rules that requires this. EotE characters would be a perfect fit for at 1313 campaign, but then, so would any of the other books (AoR or F&D). And on the 1313 note: there are several Clone Wars episodes that take place in the Coruscant underworld, a couple even on levels that are 1313-adjacent :) They're worth a watch even if only for the visuals.

a036vl5dt7851.png

1313 Game Demo Prototype Environment

Yeah, of the 3, Edge is the one that is definitely the most time period flexible imho.

And for someone with loads of ideas and GMing experience, the more open canvas of the post RotJ era seems like an ideal sandbox to play in.

I just finished running a game located on level 1354 of the Coruscant underworld. I made a map of the area around the portal shaft and I just did a sort of "hex crawl" format by populating areas as they came to them. You just need to make a few lists:

Terrain type (Urban, Industrial, Natural), Encounters for each type of terrain, and then a list of story threads for them to engage such as thief took our power converter and fled into the air shafts.

I ran it like a poverty stricken urban sprawl with surrounding "wilderness" areas of the various gigantic Works machinery and sometimes with things like fungal forests or caverns.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktwylcx4pvy8n8f/level1354 labeled.png?dl=0

Edited by Archlyte

That's sounds pretty cool @Archlyte , almost like Necromunda but in Star Wars.

16 minutes ago, Stethemessiah said:

That's sounds pretty cool @Archlyte , almost like Necromunda but in Star Wars.

Yeah! I didn't think of that but you're right :)

The system is very sandbox, enabling you to create whatever you like. The written modules are very nice, with only a few quirks that I have found, but those are easily smoothed over. You may want to look in to the other source books for EotE, as more than a couple have ideas for games centering around that specific career, or they have plug-n-play modules that can be dropped in with minimal fuss. If you are looking for an ABY game setting, you may want to pick up 'Dawn of Rebellion' as well.

Nobody noticed this thread is 3 years old? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, whafrog said:

Hahahaha!!!!! I did not.

Definitely @Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun 's fault.

🤣 🤣 🤣

7 hours ago, whafrog said:

I think the marketing bot needs an oil bath.