Games Workshop Concluding Deal For Licensing Rights To Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

By GrimAndPerilous.com, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

It was just confirmed to Grim & Perilous Studios last night by GW’s licensing department that they are in the process of concluding a deal with a major European publisher for world-wide distribution rights to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay . While no other details were shared, we can only speculate which major European RPG publishers may have acquired the rights.

More details here: http://grimandperilous.com/?p=1058

Wow, that's quite some news. Unless it's an improved version of the system we already have, I'm not sure how interested I'll be in it. But the discussions are bound to be... heated :D

I would be happy if they release PODs once more, as I missed my opportunity to acquire those, and there are no pirate scans over internet... :(
But will it be the same content, or WFRP 4ed?

That's a good news. It would be good to have a new take on WFRP, although I would personally be scared they go to Age of Sigmar RPG. I hope however they dont spend too much time writing rule books - give us one big core book with all rules, then move on to new settings in the WFRP world, hopefully a little further than the Empire.

Edited by Ceodryn

If both Old Warhammer World and Age of Sigmar licenses are sold, this is great. New game keeps good Old Warhammer World alive and will bring new fans (I don't personally care about AoS license).

Fans from various editions always hope, that the new system would be as similar as their favorite version (or new improved version). But, if there will be a new producer, it probably won't be. It is possible, that it could be pretty similar, but in case of WFRP3 (all the cards, special dice and other stuff) - well, huge change that it will not be very similar. And pretty good change that game mechanics are totally new system.

As Ceodryn said - hopefully it will not take years to finalize the new rules and we get new sourcebooks, fluff, adventures finally. Everyone can continue play the game with system they like. Like for example Zweihänder... ;)

Edited by jackdays

Cubicle7 has seemingly acquired the rights for distribution of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay . Looking in DriveThruRPG:

Screen-Shot-2017-01-26-at-4.43.01-PM.png

Edited by GrimAndPerilous.com

I am personally not familiar with any of their games. Are they successful and do they align to a particular dice system or not?

Well, I'm interested in now. I wonder, will they release for AoS too or just WHRP?

If the PDF's become available again, that's great news! I'm trying to run the Enemy Within and I never bought the PDF version. I've been taking photos on my phone of the pages I needed so I could work on it without dragging the book around :D

Edit: and I'm betting we're talking days now until the forums here are shut down.

Edited by Ralzar

Great news! And hopefully the 40k RPGs will return in some form or fashion too. :)

18 hours ago, GrimAndPerilous.com said:

Cubicle7 has acquired the rights for distribution of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay . Looking in DriveThruRPG:

Screen-Shot-2017-01-26-at-4.43.01-PM.png

Is this what Trump calls "Fake News"?

I just searched at both RPGNow and DriveThruRPG in Cubicle 7 Entertainment's area and bupkis was there for Warhammer anything!

See attached pic for DriveThruRPG.

G&P, please explain?

As to a European manufacturer of WHFRPG, do not bet on it being in the Old World.

Every license about the Old World that GW can kill, they are killing; the game Total War seems to be the only Old World holdout.

This new Euro-made WHFRPG will be AoSified - NO DOUBT!

DriveThru.jpg

51 minutes ago, The Horseman said:

As to a European manufacturer of WHFRPG, do not bet on it being in the Old World.

Every license about the Old World that GW can kill, they are killing; the game Total War seems to be the only Old World holdout.

No doubt, that there is a license for AoS too. But, are both licenses available now (or not available, if they are purchased)?

I don't know what kind of real RPG can there be from AoS. And as with many other games (Mordheim, Vermintied, Man O' War, Blood Bowl, Total War: Warhammer) the Old Warhammer World is much more interesting license...

I also have Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd. on my WFRP downloads in DriveThru...

Edited by jackdays

I am not seeing anything from GW themselves that says the license for the Old World is available for publication, story advancement and/or anything else.

All I am seeing about the Old World on the Net and at cons is wishful thinking from fan-dom.

Edited by The Horseman

And as to Cubicle 7 and WFRPG, there is bupkis about it on their WEB site too despite there being news posted today about their Dr. Who game.

1 hour ago, The Horseman said:

Is this what Trump calls "Fake News"?

I just searched at both RPGNow and DriveThruRPG in Cubicle 7 Entertainment's area and bupkis was there for Warhammer anything!

See attached pic for DriveThruRPG.

G&P, please explain?

You can only view Cubicle 7's ownership of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay files if you have previously purchased the PDFs on DriveThruRPG or one of their affiliates. A simple search for their company or the property turns up nothing.

36 minutes ago, The Horseman said:

I am not seeing anything from GW themselves that says the license for the Old World is available for publication, story advancement and/or anything else.

All I am seeing about the Old World on the Net and at cons is wishful thinking from fan-dom.

Rest assured: the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay license has changed hands from Fantasy Flight Games.

EDIT - removed NDA information from post.

4 hours ago, GrimAndPerilous.com said:

Rest assured: the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay license has changed hands from Fantasy Flight Games.

EDIT - removed NDA information from post.

Anyone who has been here for any reasonable amount of time knows about FFG not continuing with GW's IP G&P.

And from FFG's point of view, they lost nothing but a headache; ask any FFG full-time staffer.

What is the issue, thanks to you G&P, is whether or not Crucible 7 now has the rights to market WFRPG.

G&P, until someone can buy a WFRPG item from Crucible 7, directly or from an outlet like DriveThru, do they really have the rights?

Anyone in marketing and/or the industry would tell you "NO."

They might be in negotiations, but they do not have it unless they can make money from it.

Furthermore, when GW makes a deal, they love to shout it from the rooftops!

No shout G&P.

And doing an Old World WFRPG is another issue entirely!

Not b*^^#@y likely either from GW's track record of the last two years.

1 hour ago, The Horseman said:

Anyone who has been here for any reasonable amount of time knows about FFG not continuing with GW's IP G&P.

And from FFG's point of view, they lost nothing but a headache; ask any FFG full-time staffer.

What is the issue, thanks to you G&P, is whether or not Crucible 7 now has the rights to market WFRPG.

G&P, until someone can buy a WFRPG item from Crucible 7, directly or from an outlet like DriveThru, do they really have the rights?

Anyone in marketing and/or the industry would tell you "NO."

They might be in negotiations, but they do not have it unless they can make money from it. Furthermore, when GW makes a deal, they love to shout it from the rooftops!

Without getting into specifics, I can tell you the licensing deal had already been written in ink, well before I broke the news. As a 14 year veteran in the advertising industry, my intuition tells me is they're preparing copy & marketing materials for a formal announcement.

However, if you are insinuating that breaking this news somehow had a negative impact on the deal, you're speaking from a position of ignorance. I don't argue online, and that's the last I'll have to say in response to you about it.

-Daniel

Well Daniel, I just re-read what you wrote after I posted and then what I posted from the point of view of what you posted.

Do a lot of people blame you for things?

I would only take what I posted the way you insinuated it in your posting after your posting.

All I can say is "Wow."; you must get blamed for a lot in the view of folks around you.

If so, I feel sorry for you.

Everyone else, anyone who ever bought the WFRPG .pdfs from any OneBookShelf site, have you found your files restored if they vanished after the late Summer '16 announcement?!?

You know, like Daniel evidently did?

I know there were complaints here about the files now being unavailable to purchase, but I do not recall anyone saying they could not access the files they had already acquired.

If the matter has changed for you, sing out please.

Lastly, Daniel, you know what is interesting in all this ?

Every word about this matter, no matter where on the WEB, all leads back to http://www.grimandperilous.com - your site.

Just an interesting factoid.

Having worked in this specific industry before, for only a few years, as in a significant portion of the late 20th C, I find that to be quite interesting.

What is a fact here is I am not saying you cannot be correct; the way you are going about it though - well, it stinks like old fish.

<<ADDITION>>

Moreover, after having woken up an old industry associate in the UK rather early his time (in my defense - actually only 45 minutes earlier than his habit - early 'morning' runner [is it truly 'morning' in the civilian world if there is no light out?]) I referred him to this discussion and to your site Daniel.

'Interesting' was the word.

Edited by The Horseman

I've never actually played anything by Cubicle 7, but they have a reputation as a pretty great producer of RPGs. The Doctor Who game I have never really looked that interesting (I got it cheap, never played it), but I know they have a lot of fans of their One Ring RPG. Don't know that I'll get back into another edition, but the license seems to be in good hands.

2 minutes ago, deraforia said:

I've never actually played anything by Cubicle 7, but they have a reputation as a pretty great producer of RPGs. The Doctor Who game I have never really looked that interesting (I got it cheap, never played it), but I know they have a lot of fans of their One Ring RPG. Don't know that I'll get back into another edition, but the license seems to be in good hands.

I can't imagine a better licensee than Cubicle 7. While their release schedule is slow, they more than make up for it in quality of product. The One Ring was everything I had ever hoped to see in a Tolkeinesque RPG - I dare say that I like it far more than MERP.

Been doing RPGNow since long before OneBookShelf bought up the place (since 2001/02 or so that I can prove from my library).

Curious, none of my WFRPG files come up no matter who they are listed under; when I click on each and every one of them, RPGNow says "We're sorry. This title is unavailable"

So, no change from FFG, no change from Green Ronin, no change from back in the day when Black Industries had the IP.

How is "unavailable", simply with a change of doer, any improvement Daniel?

I was looking through my Library and realized I have not bought any product of Cubicle 7's.

I thought I had so I looked at my orders from RPGNow & DriveThruRPG and the two main brick and mortar stores I use in the US and Canada.

What I have bought are items that TAG, PIG and the like designed and then had Cubicle 7 dealt with the POD end of things for them.

Therefore, I can say from my personal experience, that Cubicle 7 prints other company's game products' files well and then binds them into physical booklets well.

Nothing positive beyond that.

Furthermore, I cannot find a single gamer I know personally that plays anything of theirs either.

How long have they been around Daniel?

A couple of the guys here have looked at Yggdrasill, but Daniel, that is not really theirs even, is it?

Don't they just handle the English translation duties on that game?

The designer is that Valla guy in France, yes?

What has Cubicle 7 come up with and then developed on their own?

I can confirm in my library on Drivethrurpg all my WFRP 2nd ed books are listed as being from Cubicle 7. When I heard a European publisher had gotten the license I was hoping for Ulisses Spiele, but would have been happy with anyone other then Cubicle 7 since I've had issues with them in the past regarding books I've ordered.

As for games that they are involved in you have:

The One Ring
Adventures in Middle-Earth (D&D 5e adaptation of The One Ring)
Doctor Who RPG
Lone Wolf Adventure Game
Rocket Age
The Laundry
Victorian

Translated Games:
Yggdrasill
Keltia
Kuro
Qin: The Warring States

1 hour ago, lordmalachdrim said:

I can confirm in my library on Drivethrurpg all my WFRP 2nd ed books are listed as being from Cubicle 7.

Can you pull them up though? Click on the titles. I get the error message I posted before. And my point was that no matter who was listed as the publisher, the doer, they were coming up as an error just as they have since September or August.

When I heard a European publisher had gotten the license I was hoping for Ulisses Spiele, but would have been happy with anyone other then Cubicle 7 since I've had issues with them in the past regarding books I've ordered.

I have heard this from others, and I know of one gamer back East, that plays another game I play, who has said he would never buy another product connected with them ever again due to his own horrible experience.

As for games that they are involved in you have:

The One Ring
Adventures in Middle-Earth (D&D 5e adaptation of The One Ring)
Doctor Who RPG
Lone Wolf Adventure Game
Rocket Age
The Laundry
Victorian

These are their, meaning Cubicle 7's, creations? Or are they just more products of other persons just in English to start off with?

Translated Games:
Yggdrasill
Keltia
Kuro
Qin: The Warring States

Thank you for confirming what I heard about Yggdrasil. Are the other three also Valla's work?

Thank you lordmalachddrim, for answering my questions without both/either gunning for my scalp and/or pursuing some ill-disguised personal/professional agenda.