Book Question

By Cobaltofdoom, in WFRP Gamemasters

Your link was broken it seems, but I'm guessing you're talking about the big starter box.

The big box contain four soft cover books (player book, gm book, faith book, wizard book). However these books are thin and not to be confused with the Players Guide or Game Masters Guide which are hardcover. Rather the Players Guide or Game Masters Guide contain some of the same things as the four books in the starter box, plus a lot more info from other (softcover) books.

So in short these are two different entry points to the game. The big box is for groups that want to use all the cards, tokens and other components while playing. The hardcover books are used for a more traditional RPG experience with a character sheet and dice.

Therefor the big box contains a lot of action cards, talent cards, career cards, standups for players and monsters, dice, a lot of different tokens etc. (plus the four softcover books obviously). So everything you need to start playing is included.

While the hardcover books are only the books, so you need at least some dice to start. And you probably need all three hardcover books to start playing (Players Guide or Game Masters Guide and Creature Guide). The hardcovers are out or print however, so they will be hard to find.

Right ok that clears things up a little ta!

The groups I run with tend to go for the classic dice and character sheet style so might try to find the hard backs on ebay and everything

So just a couple more questions.

1. The information in the Core box and The GM+Player+Creature guide is about the same than?

And

2. I've been told by someone that Warhammer fantasy world in a recent edition has been changed a lot. Like they turned it more space marine like with sigmar? Is this accurate? If so what edition did this get made into? I would prefer the previous edition myself.

1. The GM+Player+Creature guide contains more information than the box.

The hardcover books include rules from the boxes Signs of Faith, Winds of Magic and Adventurers Toolkit. So it is actually a lot more info in the hardcovers especially for Wizard and Priest characters. And there are also rules for corruption and disease.

The game uses special dice though, and if you buy the books you'll need to buy (quite a lot of) dice as well, which can be hard to find.

2. Warhammer Fantasy Battles (i.e. the miniature game) has been changed by GW into Age of Sigmar, which is more space marine like.

But the roleplaying game, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, is still the same world as before though. At least this edition.

I would also like to point out that Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3ed has been discontinued by FFG. So sadly it can be hard to find books, dice, expansions and all that.

1. Thanks K7e9 !

2. Yeah all the 40k stuff is out of print XD. I've just managed to get all the Rogue Trader books (Except Into the Storm of course) to fill up my collection so I'm ready for the search.

But ... as for the special dice. I could have *sworn* when I played a game of WH fantasy that we just used d10s for a percentile system.... is that an old edition? Am I just crazy?

Yes, percentile dices were in 1st and 2nd edition. The current one is the 3rd edition, and it uses a unique dice system (re-used later on with some modifications for the Star Wars RP game)

Huh, what would you say is the largest differences with 2nd ed and 3rd ed? Besides the dice?

Was it mostly the rolling aspect of the rules that changed or did a whole lot of stats and things change as well so that a small conversion would not be able to do a percentile style thing?

Everything changed, except for the setting and the concept of "careers" instead of classes.

The stats are different, the dice are different and 3rd edition has a lot of cards and other fancy mechanics, while 2nd ed was basically "roll under this number on 1d100 to succeed".

Personally I found 2nd eds system perfectly servicable and better than many others but a bit clunky. And it suffered from the same combat problem most rpgs do: "I hit him" -> "He hits me" -> "I hit him" - "He hits me"...

3d ed is my all time favourite rpg system and I hope to see more of similar systems. I hear good things about the Star Wars rpg by FFG (which uses a similar system), but me and my group aren't really into Star Wars.

Ta Ral! What are the purpose of these 'Action Cards' I keep seeing about?

Are they just reminders of specific actions you can do or status effects?

And to Sum up from previous replies.

The CORE box seems to have all the info from GM Guide, Player Guide and Creature guide?

I've also read description from the "Vault" packages that the "Vaults" basically supplement the Guides to make them more like the CORE box?

Edited by Cobaltofdoom

Basically, the cards are mostly there so you don't have to write down a bunch of info on you character sheets for different abilities and stuff. They are also a bit more complex than most other rpg abilities exactly bacause it's printed on cards so it's not hard to check their rules.

Yeah, the basic idea is thta the GUIDES are the game in pure book form. The VAULTS are all the cards and cardboard bits.