R-41 Starchaser?

By Surge4tw, in X-Wing

R-41 Starchaser, anyone have ideas on stats, uparades or dial ideas?

Thinking

Stat wise

Ah, the old R-41!

Let's look at the stats in the game it first appeared at:

tiefighterstats.jpg

The Z-95 is the closest ship to it. In comparison the R-41 has:

• 50% more shields
  • Same hull
  • 5% more speed
  • Ion cannons instad of missile launchers.

Also, it was used almost exclusively by pirates, bandits, or other scummy individuals.

So I would propose:

• Attack 2
  • Agility 2
  • Hull 2
  • Shields 3
  • Upgrades: Cannon, Illicit

The pilot skill 2 pilot should cost 16 points. A bit overcosted for the stats because of the title and the dial.

Rigged Ion Cannons .

R-41 only. Title.

When attacking with a Ion Cannon secondary weapon that instructs you to cancel all dice results, you may instead cancel only one result.

Hostage

Illicit, R-41 only.

Enemy ships cannot declare you as the target of their attacks, if they coudl attack another ship at range 1 of you. If your ship's base overlaps an enemy ship, discard this card.

Ah, the old R-41!

tiefighterstats.jpg

• 50% more shields
  • Same hull
  • 5% more speed
Also, it was used almost exclusively by pirates, bandits, or other scummy individuals.

So I would propose:

• Attack 2
  • Agility 2
  • Hull 2
  • Shields 3
The pilot skill 2 pilot should cost 16 points. A bit overcosted for the stats because of the title and the dial.

Rigged Ion Cannons .

R-41 only. Title.

When attacking with a Ion Cannon secondary weapon that instructs you to cancel all dice results, you may instead cancel only one result.

Hostage

Illicit, R-41 only.

Enemy ships cannot declare you as the target of their attacks, if they coudl attack another ship at range 1 of you. If your ship's base overlaps an enemy ship, discard this card.

I'd love to see the Starchaser! Bring it on!

I say start making the waves bigger. More ships from the old space games!

Love the linked Ion Cannon idea. Hostage too but it would have to be up there on the point cost.

EDIT: Side note. Why do so many of the EU and Video Game ships always look so cobbled together?

Edited by 4fox100

tiefighterstats.jpg

• 50% more shields

So I would propose:

• Shields 3

A-Wings should have about Shields 5 by your calculation.

tiefighterstats.jpg

• 50% more shields

So I would propose:

• Shields 3

TIE Defender should have 10 shields, lmao

tiefighterstats.jpg

• 50% more shields
So I would propose:

• Shields 3

Ah, the old R-41!

tiefighterstats.jpg

• 50% more shields
  • Same hull
  • 5% more speed

So I would propose:

• Attack 2
  • Agility 2
  • Hull 2
  • Shields 3

Rigged Ion Cannons .

R-41 only. Title.

Hostage

Illicit, R-41 only.

Comparing it solely to the Z95 in order to determine the shields has led you to vastly overestimating the shield rating. From the stats you posted, the shields for various fighters are:

R-41: 30, Z95: 20, X-Wing: 50, TIE Defender: 100, Y-Wing: 75

Despite having 30% of the shields of a TIE Defender, you've given it the same shield rating. Despite having fewer shields than an X-Wing, you've given it a higher shield rating. Based on the other ships in the list, the R-41 should have no higher than a shield rating of 2.

If those game stats translated directly to this game at all, in fact, the Z-95 should probably only have 1 shield, for that matter...

If we use the x-wing as a base, 2 shields and 3 Hull, then you need to divide shields by 25 and hull by 7.

So let's see what we get.

Tie Fighter - 0 Shields, 1 Hull (I like this better already).

A-wing - 2 Shields, 2 Hull. (Meh)

Assault Gunboat - 4 Shields, 1 Hull. (slicer tools, feedback array fun)

B-wing - 4 Shields, 8-9 Hull (Beast Wing for the win!)

R-41 Star Chased - 1 Shield, 2 Hull. (Better than a tie fighter)

T-wing - 1 Shield, 2 Hull.

Tie Advanced - 2 Shields, 2 Hull.

Tie Bomber - 4 Hull.

Tie Defender - 4 Shields, 2 Hull.

Tie Interceptor - 2 Hull.

Y-wing - 3 Shields, 6 Hull.

Z-95 -1 Shield, 2 Hull.

As a rebel player I demand FFG make these changes now!

The Starter set should come with an x-wing, and 5 Tie fighters, and it should probably retail for ~ $100.00.

If we use the x-wing as a base, 2 shields and 3 Hull, then you need to divide shields by 25 and hull by 7.

So let's see what we get.

Tie Fighter - 0 Shields, 1 Hull (I like this better already).

A-wing - 2 Shields, 2 Hull. (Meh)

Assault Gunboat - 4 Shields, 1 Hull. (slicer tools, feedback array fun)

B-wing - 4 Shields, 8-9 Hull (Beast Wing for the win!)

R-41 Star Chased - 1 Shield, 2 Hull. (Better than a tie fighter)

T-wing - 1 Shield, 2 Hull.

Tie Advanced - 2 Shields, 2 Hull.

Tie Bomber - 4 Hull.

Tie Defender - 4 Shields, 2 Hull.

Tie Interceptor - 2 Hull.

Y-wing - 3 Shields, 6 Hull.

Z-95 -1 Shield, 2 Hull.

As a rebel player I demand FFG make these changes now!

The Starter set should come with an x-wing, and 5 Tie fighters, and it should probably retail for ~ $100.00.

Heya this is my first post, I am usually just lurking.

Buuuuut you got your math wrong, the assault gunboat would have 4 hull.

I'd love to see the Starchaser! Bring it on!

I say start making the waves bigger. More ships from the old space games!

This man gets it!

The only problem is, it may not be

"lore cannon"

At the moment, not sure I'll look into it

But give us some Ole scummy ships

Also I could see this being a

Easily. But it notes in the lore, it's week shileds.. so hmm

I loved killing Starchasers in a TIE Defender in the game, and I'd love to do it on the table.

For scum sure, why not, let them have it, as a rebel player, its ugly as hell and get it away from our sexy Incom ships. The only reason we even let the Y-Wing in is because we put pitty on it....so the pitty slot is filled!

I'm right in the middle of getting a CCL submission for a rebel R-41. My plan is 2 attack, 2 agility, 3 shields, two hull. Green 1 banks, green 2 banks/straights. White 2 turn. White 3 forward, 3 banks, red 3 turns, red 3 k turn. Red 4 straight. Basic PS 2 at 15 points. Cannon and Missile slot.

1 point R-42 title to add a crew slot. 2 point modification, "When attacking a ship you have target locked with a <cannon> secondary weapon, do not cancel dice results if instructed to do so. You may not equip cannons worth less than two squad points.".

Okay. 2/2/2/2 then.

But it feels too much like a carbon-copy of the Z-95.

Then the dial and the rest of the ship gameplay needs to be much different to have a reason of being.

Okay. 2/2/2/2 then.

Then the dial and the rest of the ship gameplay needs to be much different to have a reason of being.

Starchaser

2/2/2/2 - 13 points for ps1?

TL, Focus, Evade

missile slot upgrade

illicit slot upgrade

0pt title

"R-41"

your upgrade bar gains the "cannon" icon. You must equip an ion cannon to this ship.

2pt title

"R-42"

your upgrade bar gains the "crew" icon.

covers the R-41 and the later R-42 model which was a two seater.

R-41 becomes a cheap ion cannon carrier, cheaper than the scyk, but with a worse dial and no reposition ability.

R-42 becomes a cheap, but fragile crew carrier.

uses? idk, put k4 security droid on R-42 one to get a TL+focus missile shot?

This thing?

DSC_0807.JPG?height=267&width=400

...does looks pretty scummy

Okay. 2/2/2/2 then.

Well, the problem is that if you're going off how it played in the old PC games, you're out of luck because they essentially flew like a Z-95. There is almost no experiential difference in how they felt to fly against. Neither one was particularly fast or maneuverable. So it will likely fall to the dial and upgrades to differentiate this one from the rest of the pack. The problem I see is on just how strongly to stick with how they were in those old games vs. what X-Wing needs from a new fighter. The Starchaser never demonstrated the ability to use any different cannon other than its two blaster cannons, so if you're going lore over meta, cannon slots are out. You could replace the missile with a torpedo, but that's not really the sort of chance that gets people excited. You could go for cheaper, mid-PS aces that have solid abilities, but then you risk limiting the design space for Headhunter aces in the future who could be created without the need to design an entirely new ship.

Or, I suppose you could go off the ship's design specs that state it had two blasters and two ion cannons and justify giving it the cannon that way... but then you run the risk of stepping on the toes of the Skyc, which FFG has gone out of their way to buff with the Heavy errata, new title, and new pilots announced not long ago.

However, in the missions you do encounter the R-41 in, they frequently appear in support of medium capital ships and other fighters as a close support fighter. So I think that the home this ship can find might just be as a cheap, dependable fighter that doubles as support. The scum Headhunter abilities largely seem aggressive, so the Starchaser could be more in the vein of early T-65 pilots like Garvin or Biggs. However I feel like the synergies should be strange and potent, but not really like what we've ever seen. For instance, you want to avoid a copy of Biggs ability that forces the opponent to shoot at a ship that isn't a direct contributor to the battle... but you could make your opponent practically trip over themselves trying to remove it from the field before arguably more important pieces:

iPGqhVt.png

Once Palob starts swiping evade tokens at range 2, or your squad's Wingman starts removing stress tokens from range 2, the opponent will learn quite quickly who the real threat is. Or maybe they'll go after the pilot with the offending ability (which is when you use Bodyguard at Range 2 and laugh).

Or you could go with a pilot who might go a long way in buffing swarms. While he may not boost their attack, he can help keep them around much longer to improve the swarm's longevity so that swarms of Pirates can grind your opponents down to nothing.

gULZv97.png

Anyway, these are just some ideas to make it viable.

However, in the missions you do encounter the R-41 in, they frequently appear in support of medium capital ships and other fighters as a close support fighter. So I think that the home this ship can find might just be as a cheap, dependable fighter that doubles as support. The scum Headhunter abilities largely seem aggressive, so the Starchaser could be more in the vein of early T-65 pilots like Garvin or Biggs. However I feel like the synergies should be strange and potent, but not really like what we've ever seen. For instance, you want to avoid a copy of Biggs ability that forces the opponent to shoot at a ship that isn't a direct contributor to the battle... but you could make your opponent practically trip over themselves trying to remove it from the field before arguably more important pieces:

if we go with the lore that they were generally deployed as close support for more potent star fighters then how about a sort of reverse howlrunner?

PS5

other friendly small base ships at range 1 may re-roll one defence die.

as for not using the ion cannons that they are listed as having, something similar to wampa, but less aggressive?

PS4

when attacking you may cancel all dice results. If you cancel a crit you may assign two ion tokens to the defender

yes i'm just riffing off other cards, but its something that could be viable?

Edited by kitandthevoices

if we go with the lore that they were generally deployed as close support for more potent star fighters then how about a sort of reverse howlrunner?

PS5

other friendly small base ships at range 1 may re-roll one defence die.

as for not using the ion cannons that they are listed as having, something similar to wampa, but less aggressive?

PS4

when attacking you may cancel all dice results. If you cancel a crit you may assign two ion tokens to the defender

yes i'm just riffing off other cards, but its something that could be viable?

I dunno, those abilities just feel very copy paste. Not saying mine are super amazing, but my design intent was to make them feel very scum faction, especially the first one, because they are very tricky, they open up a lot of interesting combos for squad building, and they force the opponent to think and act a certain way to cope with their abilities and the abilities of the other ships in your list. So I was going for stuff that perhaps fulfills an already existing role in another faction, but in a drastically different way, not simply a rewording of other card abilities.

For scum sure, why not, let them have it, as a rebel player, its ugly as hell and get it away from our sexy Incom ships. The only reason we even let the Y-Wing in is because we put pitty on it....so the pitty slot is filled!

Shots maybe fired, but bombs will be droped... -.-

tiefighterstats.jpg

• 50% more shields
So I would propose:
  • Shields 3

Man...the horror. Could you imagine that? Any ship with 3 green and 10 shield would be.....scary.

Haha, forget about the shield discrepancies, 2.5km range... We're going to need a bigger cardboard stick!

Aquire target locks at 7metres, laser range at 2.8...

May need some longer movement templates...