A question about "leg enhancement"

By sblive, in StarCraft

I have purchased "leg enhancement",I attacked terran with two zealots ,terran just have one marine in the area.At the starting of battle,the marine must be destoryed.Does the [Draw Combat cards] step be executed? May I draw three combat cards?

The rulebook states using "At the Start of a Battle"-Abilities as the second step during an attack and "Draw Combatcards" as the third step. (don't know if these are the right english terms, because I've got only the german rules here)

Since you do first the second step and afterwards the third step, you are not allowed to draw combat cards, I think. ;)

Interesting. On the other hand, he could not e.g. retreat (if resolving retreats ia an also a part of resolving battles).

I've sent some questions to the game designers. Just wait for answers ;-]

cyb3k said:

Interesting. On the other hand, he could not e.g. retreat (if resolving retreats ia an also a part of resolving battles).

I've sent some questions to the game designers. Just wait for answers ;-]

What do you exactly mean by retreat in this context? Using the Event Card? This is also a "At the start of a battle"-Ability.

So this means, yes, the defender can NOT save his Marine, because the ability of the attacker is triggered first and so the Marine dies.

But the normal retreat is something completely different to "At the start of a battle"-Abilities.

Luuna said:

But the normal retreat is something completely different to "At the start of a battle"-Abilities.

Yes, it is. However, "Resolve retreats" step is also a part of the battle. So that, if players would not be able to execute step "Draw Combat Cards", why should they be able to execute any other one?

E.g. Protoss player could lose some Zealots if he exceeded unit limit (like in case of resolving "Retreat" Event card).

so

will attacker get 3cards

defender get 1 card ?

If a battle is initiated (by moving units into an area containing enemy units) I'd say you should execute all steps of a normal battle as best possible. I can see no mentioning in the rules about any other way to do it.

From the rulebook:

1. Place Order in Contested Area
2. Use Start of Battle Abilities
3. Draw Combat Cards
4. Attacker Designates Skirmishes
5. Assign Supporting Units
6. Place Combat Cards
7. Resolve Skirmishes
8. Resolve Splash Damage
9. Resolve Retreats

In your example:

1-3 are resolved as normal.
4 is resolved but since there are no enemy units left (after the marine is destroyed in step 2) the maximum number of skermishes is 0.
5-8 are resolved, but since there are no skirmishes there is nothing to actualy do for either side.
9 is executed as normal.

cyb3k said:

Luuna said:

Yes, it is. However, "Resolve retreats" step is also a part of the battle. So that, if players would not be able to execute step "Draw Combat Cards", why should they be able to execute any other one?

E.g. Protoss player could lose some Zealots if he exceeded unit limit (like in case of resolving "Retreat" Event card).

ah ok, that was your point. I didn't got it before ^^

somehow really good question ...

1. Place Order in Contested Area
2. Use Start of Battle Abilities

Battle Abilitie leg enhancement says Defender has to eliminate his Marine without any Combat Cards or what ever.

After that, attacker has to Mobilize his two Berserkers in that area and that Mobilize order is over.

There is no battle to fight.

Nothing more.

I've just received answers for the following questions:

Rule Question:

1) If any player participating in the battle loses his units earlier than in skirmishes (as a result of resolving abilities with phrase "At the start of a battle"), are the remaining steps executed (e.g drawing Combat Cards, resolving retreats etc.) or are they skipped (and the battle immediately ends)?

2) If any player moves own units to the area containing only the enemy base (but no enemy units), is the battle started?

2) Can any abilities / steps usually resolved during battles (including "Collateral Damage" and "Infest Terran Comand Center", drawing Combat Cards, retreats etc.) be resolved in a case from question no. 2?

1) The rest of the step are resolved, even though most of them will not have an effect.
2) This would not start a battle (but would count as the limit of moving into 1 enemy controlled area per mobilize order).
3) No, since there is no battle or time for these cards to be resolved.

I hope this answers your questions!
-Corey Konieczka
Lead Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

So the attacker and defender have to draw Combat cards in this case. Moreover, retreats are also allowed.

BTW: The only confusing thing to me is the state for "Infest Terran Comand Center". But it's a result of the question I asked (Corey could not remember his previous answer for this card).

yeah he did rule previously that queens can infest without combat.

blarknob said:

yeah he did rule previously that queens can infest without combat.

I asked about it again and look at the answer:

Q:"Infest Terran Comand Center" is placed in Play area and it contains the phrase: "At the end of a battle". I remember one of Your older feedback (posted on FFG board by another person who asked You the same question). It was allowing to use that card even if no Terran units were defending the base (without starting battle). Is it correct?

A: If you attack a base that does not have defending units, there is no battle and therefore you cannot use "Infest Command Center".

I hope this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
Lead Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

serio.gif

Argh, thats frustrating, makes that tech much much worse.