Strongholds in enemy home realms

By Peristarkawan, in Runewars

1) If I conquer an area in an enemy home realm, can I build a stronghold there? I don't see anything preventing this in the rules but wanted to double-check due to the next question.

2) If I build a stronghold in another player's home realm, and then I move my units away, who controls the area? On the one hand, I control it because I have a stronghold there. On the other hand, they control it because it's in their home realm and contains no enemy units.

I would assume that an enemy player cannot build a stronghold in an are (hex) that is in an enemy home realm.

Otherwise, yes, the problem will arise as to whom exactly controls that hex (area) when all pieces are moved away.

Each faction has unique Stronghold tokens, so yes, this is possible. Capturing a Stronghold is even one of the steps of combat resolution.

The rulebook seems to be somewhat vague on this point, however I think you would still control an area with one of your Strongholds present even in another player's home realm.

Peristarkawan said:

2) If I build a stronghold in another player's home realm, and then I move my units away, who controls the area? On the one hand, I control it because I have a stronghold there. On the other hand, they control it because it's in their home realm and contains no enemy units.

I have a hunch that your stronghold itself would count as a "unit" for this purpose, and thus you would control the hex. That may not be what the rules say, explicitly, but having played my fair share of FFG games I'm reasonably confident that's what they meant.

The conquer order allows for a stronghold to be captured, but what is the dispostion of it afterwards?

Can you repair it?

The game does notate that if you conquer a stronghold, any developments on the space are eliminated.

You capture the enemy stronghold, replacing it with one of your own. The new stronghold starts out damaged and can be repaired with one of the order cards.

broken said:

You capture the enemy stronghold, replacing it with one of your own. The new stronghold starts out damaged and can be repaired with one of the order cards.

what page is this on? I just can't find it...:-)

simpatikool said:

broken said:

what page is this on? I just can't find it...:-)

pg. 21 under Battles:

Destroy/Conquer Stronghold: If the attacker won the battle
against a stronghold, he removes the opponent’s stronghold
token. He may then replace it with one of his own stronghold
tokens (with the damaged side faceup). If all of the winning
player’s strongholds are already in play, he may voluntarily
destroy one of his strongholds from the game board in order
to replace the enemy stronghold.

And then on pg. 36 it describes the order cards, the one in question is Fortify (8):

Repair a Stronghold
The player reduces his ore resource dial by one to flip one of his
damaged Strongholds so that its undamaged side is faceup. A
player may not repair a stronghold if his ore dial is at “0.”

Thanks. I like the FFG rule layouts, but I have to read the rules multiple times to pick up the nuances...