Looking for some games in Cali....

By Smazzurco, in UFS Fan Announcements

There is a small shop near me where i play on saturdays...with a very small playgroup. I am near the bay area and wondering if there is anywhere else around here to get some games in...preferably on a day besides saturday.

Anything norcal/bay area or even better would be something on the coast (monterey?)

Thanks

There is a small playgroup in sacramento trying to keep the game alive. Our play night is Wed at 6pm. As of right now we have 4 ppl, two hardcore fans, a GF and a co-worker who's starting to get into it. The last couple of Wed we had to postpone do to school finals + the hollidays and such, but first week of Jan its back on. We are always looking for more interested ppl in the NorCal area. Hope that helps. :)

Where about in Sac? I live in the chico area so it's been hard for me to find any kind of consistant playgroup for the game. =/

I'm glad there are people in the SF Bay Area still interested in getting together to throw down!

I play on most Saturday evenings at a game store in Santa Clara called Game Kastle. The player base has certainly dwindled, and i'm one of the very few people still interested in competing in a (semi) competitive level.

It would be nice to get others of like-mindedness and interest together on a night of some "Oofs". Get enough short-staffed player bases together every other week or so, and BOOM! - instantly we have a larger player base, which naturally = MORE FUN!

So, how about we get a role call and see what we can organize??

The shop in sacramento is called Adventures in Comics and Games.

It's located at: 6026 Fair Oaks Blvd. Carmichael, CA 95608

Phone for shop is (916) 973-9064

RockStar said:

I'm glad there are people in the SF Bay Area still interested in getting together to throw down!

I play on most Saturday evenings at a game store in Santa Clara called Game Kastle. The player base has certainly dwindled, and i'm one of the very few people still interested in competing in a (semi) competitive level.

It would be nice to get others of like-mindedness and interest together on a night of some "Oofs". Get enough short-staffed player bases together every other week or so, and BOOM! - instantly we have a larger player base, which naturally = MORE FUN!

Yeah i have been to gamestop once. At least when i went it was heavy legacy and proxies...i dont mind a few but it gets distracting when 1/2 of your opponents staging area is ripped up binder paper.

I would love to get together for some games sometime, i can easily come by there maybe one day during the week or is there a listed schedule of events? maybe i will head down there another saturday...

Smazzurco said:

RockStar said:

Yeah i have been to gamestop once. At least when i went it was heavy legacy and proxies...i dont mind a few but it gets distracting when 1/2 of your opponents staging area is ripped up binder paper.

I would love to get together for some games sometime, i can easily come by there maybe one day during the week or is there a listed schedule of events? maybe i will head down there another saturday...

The Scout allowed Legacy and Proxies because he didn't want people's deck designs to be limited by how limited their card pool might've been. For the record, I am one of the few players at that game store who don't use proxies, and I actually prefer Standard format to Legacy. I'd love to throw down some UFS with ya, so if you're interested go ahead and holla at me. EIther PM me or get my info from Danny Mosely (i know you and he are friends and frequent the same store in SV).

We actually threw down once before in a pick up game: Your Hanzo deck vs a Promo Talim build i had; you had the answers that day and easily beat that deck. Good times! :)

Well...i'm open to getting some games in...anyone else reading this and in the area interested in doing the same??

Read the report from Desert Wars...looks like only 12 people showed up. I know it wasn't a lack of advertising, the organizer has been promoting it for a long while now. I think UFS on the West Coast is simply under-represented and lacks the fanbase and interest of other games, such as MtG. Might be nice to get a discussion going on how we might, as a local community, (re)build up a solid player base here in the SF Bay Area.

Thoughts??

if you want to get together for some games maybe tuesday or something i am down..let me know. about 3:30ish would probably be good for me.

Tomorrow is a distinct possibility. Unfortunately, I only have access to a car that won't make it over the hill (i.e. can't make it to SV). Might you be able to make it over to Game Kastle?

I'm down for a couple hours of playing and deck design talk. Holla,

RockStar (mka Iari)

well it ends up i am working from home today ( i live in santa cruz), but yeah, i drive past GK everyday on my way home basically. We can plan for wed or thur if either of them work for you. Let meknow.

does this thing have PM? best bet is to shoot me an email, salvador.mazzurco at gmail.com (i hate typing full email in forums, too many spam bots these days)

Is there anything in the Berkeley/Richmond/Oakland area?

If there are any games in So-Cal LA area, that'd be cool.

vyexcel said:

If there are any games in So-Cal LA area, that'd be cool.

Check out the SoCal player's poll thread and toss in your info. I also have a thread about Gameology's tournaments in Claremont, CA. Aside from that, there's a game store in Torrance that still seems to have a group. I'm also sending you a friend invite; accept, and ye'll be able to email me. (:

As far as getting a player population... There are only two things that will do that. 1) Marketing and 2) player-based, word-of-mouth, cheap-ass marketing. We haven't seen much real marketing from FFG yet. Maybe that'll change near the release of Sets 12 and 13... but I'm not getting my hopes up. If you want some folks to play against, try showing up at Friday Night Magic and running some demos; get your store managers' permission first. You might be able to poach a player or two (especially if you play Magic and make it clear that you appreciate both games), and you might draw a few of the coveted endless-wallet plays-everything crowd.

Yeah, trying to get a player to switch games or try a new one is like trying to teach them a new religion and convert them. It's hard for them to keep both unless they're very deep-pocketed.

What I'd like to do when deperate to get new players is to not demo to anyone but show up on busy game days with another player and just play. They'll walk over to watch and if it looks interesting they'll ask questions or you can simply offer to teach them then. That's the best way without offending anyone. Just get permission as mentioned above so that you're not intruding into unwelcoming territory.