Any general guidelines for deck construction?

By TravisS, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

I played thrones from Westeros to the first Targaryen set and stopped. I got rid of my cards and have come back to the game now after reading the first book and part of the second. I have played a good amount of card games. I have played Magic more then nayo ther card game. In magic, a standard 60 card decks has roughly 22 land in it. Creatures, Instants and enchamanets are based around the deck. Are there any soft set deck building rules like this for thrones? How many gold producing/card cost reducing cards should I play in an average deck? Should my card costs be like MTG, in that, I should have a small number fo cheap cards and a small number of expensive cards, while the bulk of my deck is built with 2,3 & 4 cost cards.

Thanks

Check out this thread

I don't know if you can locate the article anymore, but after the Iron Throne Ed. starter set came out Nate French wrote some "guidelines" for deckbuilding that I use as a base for my deck building. I'll write them here for any who would like to know.

30 characters: This is half the deck, and this means that on any given turn, if you need to draw a character, you should most likely draw one when you draw your two cards in the draw phase.

15 "resource-providing" locations: This is one fourth of your deck, and this means that in the long run one out of every four cards you draw should be a resource-providing location. You want to get at least one of these in your starting hand (two is better), and since you draw seven cards, you'll average between one and two resource-providing locations at the start of every game. You do have to be careful not to run too many income locations, as they are a means to an end, and not an end in and of themselves.

5 "effect-providing" locations: An effect-providing location is any location that doesn't only provide a basic resource, by which I mean gold, income reduction, or influence. At this point, 50 cards in your deck are going to be playable on the setup, which means five out of every six cards you draw witll be playable! A common beginner's mistake is playing far too many attachment and events. This dilutes your starting hands, and if a newer player gets off to a bad start - for instance, if you can only one card - the game is going to be over in a hurry. These numbers will give you a strong chance of getting out of the gate successfully.

10 "empty slots": These will most likely be attachments and events that power the theme and purpose of your deck; however, there is no need to lock ourselves into the idea that these must be attachments and everts, as increasing the numbers above (while simultaneously decreasing your number of "empty slots") will make your deck more reliable, mathematically. The attachments and events, however, will give your tactical options that you'll need to maneuver within the actual game, and we'll try to fill these slots with cards that will increase the range of our deck.

7 plot cards: This is standard and does not change. The plots also form a separate deck. Still, it does help to put things in perspective if you list all your potential resource areas from the start.

I hope this helps you out, I know it was useful to me. I only have a printed copy. There is more to the article including a sample deck using the starter and some strategy tips for playing. Some one out there my have an electric copy that they could send you.

Exactly what I was looking for thanks

Glad I could be of assistance. I know this article has helped me out numerous times, even just to get a deck started.

Something I developed when I was new to the game was a very specific resource curve guideline for my characters. If I have 30 characters I'd break it down like this -

10 characters at 0-1 Gold

8 characters at 2 Gold

6 characters at 3 Gold

4 characters at 4 Gold

2 characters at 5+ gold

I do not follow this guideline slavishly, especially now, but it really helped me not end up with a lot of super powered characters who I couldn't get into play and suddenly had no claim soak because every character I was drawing cost more than three gold. NOw my guideline probably looks more like this -

15 characters at 0-2 Gold

12 characters at 3-4 Gold

3 characters at 5+ Gold

Provides more flexibility and I have a lot more experience at managing my resources in game now so my deck building can be a little more fluid, but that strict guideline is what gave me the experience.

Wow exactly what I was going to ask myself, I have yet to break apart my Core set decks and I have 10 chapter packs and KotS. This is great info.