The Harbinger Card Effect

By Servillo, in Talisman Rules Questions

I'm a bit puzzled by one of the effects of The Harbinger, There is no escape! when you roll a 3 for encountering him, where the effect says to place a Harbinger card on top of each Adventuring deck. Now, I understand that with the sheer quantity of Adventure cards the different expansions can bring (heck even the core game has enough), it's prudent to divide up the deck at least once so that you don't have a towering stack. However this seems to punish that convenience, or wind up making one or two of your draw decks useless as you'd want to avoid the Harbinger card lying in wait. Unless I'm misunderstanding how it works, as I only have a handful of expansions and there are different Adventuring decks for each one.

....what? :D

Not sure where you are going with this. Even if you divide the huge pile of base adventure cards, you (should) never have more than one stack "in play" at all times.

Or you are asking which decks are affected by that. Yes, (if you have them) you place one card on each of the city, highlands, dungeon and woodland decks all well as the "main" adventure deck.

[Also, I will never understand why people straight out refuse to draw harbinger cards at all. Yes, there are a few "really" bad ones, but the others are not that horrifying and if you have to get rid of an omen card to get yourself a little benefit (and screw a fellow player in the process), why wouldn't you?! :lol: ]

Ahhh, that's what I get for not having the corner board expansions. Didn't realize they had their own Adventure decks. Now I understand, thank you.

Edited by Servillo

redundant, wrote answer at the same time as Lorinor

Edited by Nioreh

I am in the Woodland with the Harbinger and land on a Dense forest space. OK

I draw 3 Harbinger cards : Rain of toads, The first sign and Doomsday prophet. OK.

Since I have the Black astrolabe cursed magic object I roll on the Harbinger chart first. 3, OK.

I have the lowest result encountering the Rain of toads and ditch my 2 potion trinket cards, Witch cat, Anathema priest and Black astrolabe. Toadified. Bog terrain card on my space. OK.

Then The first sign. Top Omen card discarded >> http://www.talismanwiki.com/War >> The Harbinger is out.

Do you agree my 2 potion trinket cards, Witch cat, Anathema priest, Black astrolabe and the Doomsday prophet are all discarded and replaced by Harbinger cards on my slimy little toad face space ?

If so, I draw plenty of new Harbinger cards (6), included Events (included Gates of ****) but the Harbinger does not come back as the Omen is being resolved here.

Do you agree with this situation ? No mistake here ?

God I love the Harbinger expansion. Just a few homerules :

--> When the last Omen is in play nobody wins of loses, chaos remains.

--> When the Harbinger deck is exhausted, the Prophecy disappears, every Harbinger stuff is removed but Terrain cards (except Hellpits) and Harbinger cards not involving new Harbinger cards.

--> I chose to remove Stones of Time, The Apocrypha, Rise of the Dead and Necropolis from the Harbinger stuff.

First, I'd suggest creating a new thread next time, instead of
'necroing' an old one that barely has anything to do with your
question.

---

Back on topic.

Have to disagree about the last part. While you are replacing the cards on
the board, in order to do so, you have to draw them first, which means,
the Harbinger will be back.

(There is no rule that prevents him from coming back while resolving
an omen card.)

---

Not sure what you don't like about the Necropolis, it's one of my favorite
terrain cards, because of the amount of chaos and mayhem it can create.

Really wondering why you didn't just take out all the cursed objects
if you removed The Apocrypha. Or could it be that you just don't like
the alternative win condition?

Truth be told, it can change a game's pace and style quite noticeably.
We've had it happen once (for now) and while in the end, no one managed
to win with it, it was fun having it around.

I was wrong about one thing I remember :

When the top Omen is discarded, The Harbinger is out after the new top Omen is resolved.

Meaning I have to wait for the cards replacing process (because it is part of the new top Omen's instructions, including drawing new events) to move out the Harbinger.

Sorry for that.

Necropolis does not suit me as we need to shuffle the discard pile whenever a character lands on and I am not crazy about shuffling any deck while in game.

Well, if I choose not to follow the "If there are no cards remaining in the Omen stack, the game is over and all characters lose the game." why would I keep the Apocrypha ?

>> My mistake here, I should not have mentioned it, it was pretty logical in fact.

Thank you for answering.