What should it be re-themed as?

By Bleached Lizard, in Blood Bowl: Team Manager

With the loss of the GW licence, I think it's inevitable that FFG will start to re-theme all of their licensed games to other properties. Chaos in the Old World, for example, seems like a natural fit for the Cthulhu mythos (though then it would be even more similar to Cthulhu Wars than it already is, but hey-ho).

It occurred to me the other day that the best fit for BB:TM would probably be Game of Thrones. Each matchup would be a scheme that the players are trying to achieve, with the ball representing the back-and-forth struggle for dominance on each scheme.

Thoughts?

So you mean having schemes in the middle and sending representatives of your house to some of these schemes to win them?

Could work. Sounds a bit boring, though, compared to the sheer fun of a football game in fantasy setting, which I think most fans of the game are looking for having. Plus the suggestion, while okay as such, is not really different from everything GoT-related coming out as a board game. The HBO card game is very much like this actually.

I don't think this game will be re-skinned. Game is almost a farce, so no setting (including Warhammer tbh) really have room for anything like that. It's not like some obscure chapter of the Terrinoth setting describe customs and practices of ancient football or anything like that. I don't think Terrinoth needs Blood Bowl tbh, as it wouldn't enrich the setting.

But you never know, fantasy football seem to generate a lot of money nowadays based on the sheer amount of custom teams sold around the world, and how many stores are hosting tournaments. So maybe the game will be getting its own setting. After all BB doesn't really need to relate to a particular setting to be succesful.

Plus there are quite a few games emulating this now (not only BB), so not sure if FFG could come up with something unique here. Basically just re-theming the game without changing it wouldn't be enough to drag more players into it, especially without the GW license (let's get real, they started it at the first place, everybody wants Griff Oberwald in his team, not some new super robot star player coming from nowhere). But this is speculation from my part, I sincerely have no idea.

Edited by Indalecio

Yeah, I think what was cool of this game was its unique blend of football and warhammer races. Reskinning it to something different would feel... not right. In the same way a reskin of Chaos in the Old World or Fury of Dracula would feel the same.

On 1/10/2017 at 3:10 PM, Julia said:

Yeah, I think what was cool of this game was its unique blend of football and warhammer races. Reskinning it to something different would feel... not right. In the same way a reskin of Chaos in the Old World or Fury of Dracula would feel the same.

Exactly. Keep the football aspect or don't bother.