Anyone play Operation Crusader yet?

By Luftwaffe Flak, in Tide of Iron

I got Days of the Fox for my Secret Santa present and I was curious if anyone had played this scenario? All out open tank battle sounds AWESOME! I cant wait till my base game comes in (P.O. fluke) so I can play this particularly battle.

ive played it and i found it quite fun

oh and enjoy the game

Luftwaffe Flak,

My group and I just tried this scenario for the first time over Thanksgiving weekend, and we were able to get in three different battles as it's easy to set-up and plays fast. My opinion? It's tons of fun and has several tactical approaches (or daring gambits if you are the British) giving it a decent replay value.

In the end, the Germans won twice and the British once. I played the Brits for the first game and secured a solid victory after destroying 2 Panzer IVs early on and then holding the eastern flank (boards 17B and 16B) and stealing the western 1-pt command objective with a Crusader Mk II (board 15B) while denying the Germans the 2-pt command objective in the center (board 19B).

After the game my opponent and I discussed various options for the Germans and racked up the scenario again. I used similar tactics as before and this time the British were blown out of the water. The next day we squeezed in one more battle, with me as the German tank commander this time, and again it was a Wehrmacht victory, though the score was a bit closer due to some amazing armor saves by the British Matildas.

At this point we're not sure what the British need to do to win, so I'd be interested to hear any suggestions.

For the Germans, we found that driving a pair of Panzer IVs from the deployment hex on board 14B to just behind the rough terrain on board 19B for the first turn, waiting until the end of turn 2 to seize the 2-pt command objective (to minimize available Op Fire attacks after using the Panzer IIIs as bait) and then sitting on the dunes and blasting away seemed to do the trick. Using a Fire and Movement action to shoot and then move back behind the dunes was also a nice tactic, especially if the Germans kept a tank or 2 hidden back there on Op Fire to discourage the British from trying to steal the 2-pt command objective.

Finally, we felt the Germans did well to avoid getting into a firefight on the eastern flank as that side tends to favor the British, and instead advance down the western road. The area around the dunes on the lower part of board 21A / top part of 16B is also a nice Op Fire spot for a Panzer IV as it can cover any fast-moving Crusader Mk IIs that are trying to make a dash from the buildings on the east to the center of the board.

Thanks Yipe and Derros! My base game is confirmed in the mail so I cant wait to play this! Ive been longing for nothing but a tank on tank engagement and this scenario looks like it will satisfy that!

Just got done playing this for the first time, of course the first game of TOI ever for my fiancee and I was Operation Crusader :D . It was excellent, felt very much like a slug fest of armor combat while racing around trying to get more points to spend all the while trying to rack up those VP's!