Take Cover!

By Tyroki, in DOOM: The Board Game

So I'm not really understanding how cover works.

Do you have to draw lines to all corners, and if anything is in the way of one of those lines, the defender is in cover?

Or do you just draw one line?

We were doing it with only one line, and things were seldom ever in cover.

You have to draw a line from the attacker's corner used for line of sight to each corner of the defender. If at least one of those lines goes through a solid black, solid red or broken blue line, the defender has cover.

The broken red lines represent holes in the ground and chasms so you don't get cover from that.

Normally, that's 4 lines that you draw when attacking small figures.

each corner? no, learn to play rule book page 7.

"To determine if the defender is in the attacker's line of sight, the attacker chooses one imaginary line to any corner of the defender's space. if the line crosses a wall or blocking terrain the lie of sight is blocked and the attacker must declare a different target."

so you only have to draw line of sight to one corner of the defender. which makes things easier to hit than imperial assault, which required you to draw line of sight to two separate corners of the defender

so the only way to avoid attacks is to have full cover, as partial cover will still get you shot

Edited by executor

So I'm not really understanding how cover works.

Do you have to draw lines to all corners, and if anything is in the way of one of those lines, the defender is in cover?

^That's exactly how it works. The attacker chooses one corner from the space his/her figure occupies and draws a line to one corner of the defender's square to determine if Line of Sight is possible. If LoS is possible, THEN you draw a line from the attacker's SAME corner to EACH of the defenders corners, and if ANY of those lines cross Solid Black, Solid Red, or Dotted Blue lines, the defender has cover.

"To determine if the defender is in the attacker's line of sight, the attacker chooses one imaginary line to any corner of the defender's space. if the line crosses a wall or blocking terrain the lie of sight is blocked and the attacker must declare a different target."

so you only have to draw line of sight to one corner of the defender. which makes things easier to hit than imperial assault, which required you to draw line of sight to two separate corners of the defender

so the only way to avoid attacks is to have full cover, as partial cover will still get you shot

You're describing Line of Sight, not cover.

And "partial cover" will still get you shot, sure, but having cover at least enables you to draw a second defense card if your first one sucks. You might even get lucky and pull a Dodge on the second card.

You're describing Line of Sight, not cover.

And "partial cover" will still get you shot, sure, but having cover at least enables you to draw a second defense card if your first one sucks. You might even get lucky and pull a Dodge on the second card.

my mistake, thanks for clearing that up

Thank you all for clearing this up.

I was wondering why my Imps were having so much trouble.

We thought it was just one line, like Line of Sight.

This gives me much better defensive options.

... Of course it gives the Marines the same, but eh.
Lets see them use defense when they're stunned =D