The Black Riders: Frodo and Cancellations

By Fluke Starbucker, in Rules questions & answers

Frodo Baggins

Hobbit. Ring-bearer.

Response: Spend 1 [Fellowship] resource and exhaust The One Ring to cancel the effects of an encounter card just revealed from the encounter deck. Shuffle that card back into the encounter deck and reveal another encounter card.

What exactly can be cancelled using Frodo's action? Is it only "When Revealed" effects? Could you cancel the "Forced" action of a creature being revealed? Surge? Peril? I think the spirit of the card is meant to cancel "When Revealed" effects but it isn't' explicitly clear. Thanks in advance.

You cancel everything on the card, including Surge and Doomed. You can only cancel Peril if you are the player in control of Frodo.

Okay how about exhausting the one ring to cancel the effects of this card?

Black Rider
Nazgûl.
Hide 2. Cannot have non-Morgul attachments.
Forced: After engaged player fails a Hide test, Black Rider makes an immediate attack.
What all would get cancelled on this card? The Hide test? The forced action? Would the forced action stay cancelled for the life of the card? Or would it get shuffled back into the deck?

Everything. I don't see what's confusing you here. You cancel the effects of the card - *all* of them - and then shuffle that card back into the deck and reveal a new card. The Hide test is an effect, so yes, it is cancelled. The Forced effect doesn't matter because you don't make a Hide test because you cancelled it, and then you shuffled the Nazgul back into the encounter deck to be replaced by another card.

Okay whatI'm getting at is you just basically can reshuffle any card you don't like.... including enemies and locations? Forgive me, it's a weird thought to grasp.

Yep, it's a very powerful effect. For the One Ring though, so that's pretty appropriate.

But because the universe is what it is, expect to see the same card that you just cancelled immediately pop back up. And now you have an exhausted One Ring, which is usually a bad thing.

Yeah, since it's a player card effect it won't work on things which are immune to player card effects. And you can't cancel+reshuffle a Peril card if you're not the player who revealed it. But anything else is fair game.

But the card says "just revealed from the encounter deck ". Shadow cards are delt face down from the encounter deck at the very beginning of Combat Phase, and revealed later when the enemy makes it's actual attack.

21 hours ago, MrHangman said:

But the card says "just revealed from the encounter deck ". Shadow cards are delt face down from the encounter deck at the very beginning of Combat Phase, and revealed later when the enemy makes it's actual attack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to be positing that Black Riders Frodo can cancel a shadow card (and presumably get a new one dealt in its place).

This is untrue. In the terminology of the game, shadow cards are not revealed —instead, as the Rules Reference puts it [6.4.2]:

The active player flips the attacking enemy's shadow card faceup and resolves any shadow effect the card might have.

(Emphasis added.) A card is only revealed when the word "reveal" is actually involved (as per, e.g., this FAQ entry ).

Edited by sappidus