Best Nemesis Villains?

By Deadwolf, in Imperial Assault Campaign

The Nemesis class deck allows you earn 1 imperial villain and 1 mercenary villain.

So the question is simple, what villains do you choose?

To me, I see 2 main options for the imperial villain: Grand Inquistor, if you want a straight-up badass villain or Kayn Somos, you wanted to focus on the "buffing your units" aspect of the deck (Ringleader, Devastating Legion, etc). Although I could see a case being made for Agent Blaise or Captain Terro

If you are playing any campaign other than Jabba's Realm, Jabba would be my #1 pick. But in the current campaign, Bossk seems best to me. Tho you can make a case for Dengar and Boba Fett (His main problem is you wouldn't really be able to bring him out until the latter part of the game)

Thoughts?

Either one a little more expensive and one cheap one, or two cheap ones to be able to use them as soon as possible. The first combinations that came to mind were:

1) The Grand Inquisitor [9] + Greedo [4]

2) Agent Blaise [6] + Greedo [4]

With Agent Blaise the mercenary villain could be more expensive, you could pick practically any of them.

But the decision also depends on whether you will be aiming for Inspirational (you need to consider traits ) or skipping it, and which agenda set you're going for, and those also depend on the heroes and which campaign you are playing. (If Fenn is in the campaign, both Sorin and Kayn Somos would be liabilities or not getting the benefit of their abilities.)

Also, in the Jabba's Realm campaign you may want to pick someone else than Captain Terro.

Edited by a1bert

In the long run, I'd want a villain whose agenda deck isn't that great.Earning Kayn Somos or Greedo without having to play their agenda decks would be a good thing. And then you can add villain agenda decks which are good and you can earn them on top, like Dengar. The villains earned during the campaign gain the same bonuses anyways.

Greedo seems like one of the best choice for automatically earned. I reckon he'll be pretty useful at the start of the game and could continue to be useful throughout the campaign.

Also, with the possible reductions and the ability to not gain harmful conditions, I'd be sure to play Vader, probably only his agenda set. Dengar is also one of the best villain. He's pretty bad in skirmish, but he can apply 2-3 conditions per activation, which is really good for a 7 cost figure.

Edited by ineversmile1789

I like Greedo's low cost, but slow on the draw is pretty hard to use against Rebels that can one-shot you. Giving Rebels free actions is counter productive.

My first thought would be Jabba/Terro outside of Jabba's Realm, Bossk/Inquisitor in it, although there are "better" choices. Sorrin turning jetpack troopers into stun machines is probably completely OP. Blaise is cheap and can be a solid too.

Edited by Union

Handling too many villains at a time might be too much, especially if you might earn some of them through the game. I'd go for Greedo definitely in any campaign, because you can bring him into the first mission by the second round. Once he's one shot killable, swap for somebody more potent. Inquisitor sounds nice, but I'd add the agenda decks for Vader and Royal Guard Champion, with the potential of cheaper cost and an extra black die...

Handling too many villains at a time might be too much, especially if you might earn some of them through the game. I'd go for Greedo definitely in any campaign, because you can bring him into the first mission by the second round. Once he's one shot killable, swap for somebody more potent. Inquisitor sounds nice, but I'd add the agenda decks for Vader and Royal Guard Champion, with the potential of cheaper cost and an extra black die...

He's slightly worse than 4 points of officer/storm troopers. Doing nothing on the 1st round in order to save up to bring him out rather than reinforcing makes him MUCH worse. He only becomes worthwhile with other cards that can take advantage of Hunter or give him bonus health. I think he's only a decent choice if the rebels have Gaarkhan, Diala, Davith or other melee only character to pick on.

He's slightly worse than 4 points of officer/storm troopers. Doing nothing on the 1st round in order to save up to bring him out rather than reinforcing makes him MUCH worse. He only becomes worthwhile with other cards that can take advantage of Hunter or give him bonus health. I think he's only a decent choice if the rebels have Gaarkhan, Diala, Davith or other melee only character to pick on.

Unless you're attacking Loku or Mak, Greedo rolls pretty good accuracy on average, 6 or more. The first mission in the original campaign has no open groups, so he'd be a nice choice there to annoy the Rebels. And he only costs 3 points in the first couple missions, not 4.

Unless you're attacking Loku or Mak, Greedo rolls pretty good accuracy on average, 6 or more. The first mission in the original campaign has no open groups, so he'd be a nice choice there to annoy the Rebels. And he only costs 3 points in the first couple missions, not 4.

Why does he cost 3?

I'm guessing neosmagus forgot to take into account that using Powerful Foes costs one threat, so there's no net gain for using it at one threat.

The game starts at 2 threat.

If there isn't anything different with Jabba's realm, that is.

Edited by Dark Reaper

Why does he cost 3?

Greedo costs 4. Nemesis deck starting card is 1 threat to deploy Villian minus threat level. So first mission is threat level 2: 4 - 2 + 1 = 3 to deploy Greedo first mission.

Btw, it's Nemeses. :D

I like Greedo's low cost, but slow on the draw is pretty hard to use against Rebels that can one-shot you. Giving Rebels free actions is counter productive..

Harder to do in the early rounds. If rebels have a couple of melee heros it might be worth it to use him in later rounds shooting at them. And that white die is always a factor (for my rebel players, at least) when picking targets.

As for the Mercenary Bossk packs the most punch, but Dengar's abilities might be the most disruptive in a campaign setting.

Since their deployment cards are Fringe faction, could you technically pick any one of the three deployment cards for the new Heroes in Jabba's Realm?

As in; use their deployment card usually reserved for skirmish and use it as an Imperial character? (The little card obviously not the big one)

EDIT NVM I see the skirmish icon next to them I thought they were like earlier fringe deployment cards that didn't have the icon like IG 88

Edited by aRandomBoardGamingDude

Yup. The deployment cards of Onar, Vinto, and Shyla are mercenary affiliation but skirmish-only.

It looks like the IA designers have thought about the need to exclude them from campaign due to Nemeses.

Would've been kind of neat, though, to have that as a possibility- obviously, granted that they'd not be usable if already in use by the heroes.

like the movement control on Onar and Varad would have made certain missions that are nearly unwinnable for the Imperial Player on Legendary (like Cloud City's Secret) a little less onesided. I mean if I could whip a hero back 3 spaces and then piled stormtroopers in their way that would be a strategy which could make a number of missions more challenging for the players

I would probably go for Kayn Somos and Dengar.

It's important to match up your villain's deployment cost plus the discount from Powerful Foes with the threat level. I probably would never choose Greedo, he seems terrible compared to Hired Guns. Remember that Villains can't be redeployed in the same mission after they're defeated, they're one-and-done.

On 1/1/2017 at 11:41 PM, neosmagus said:

I have a quick question about this. Since the Aftermath has no open groups, are you technically allowed to use your card, which says "after choosing open groups add one earned villain to your hand." One technically has not actually chosen any open groups for this mission. I don't think it would be a big deal, since it's better to keep reinforcing little guys if you intend to win this one, but if you do somehow want to try Greedo here, then it is worth discussing whether this is legal or not.

Thanks for any clarification.

14 minutes ago, LadysingstheLando said:

I have a quick question about this. Since the Aftermath has no open groups, are you technically allowed to use your card, which says "after choosing open groups add one earned villain to your hand." One technically has not actually chosen any open groups for this mission. I don't think it would be a big deal, since it's better to keep reinforcing little guys if you intend to win this one, but if you do somehow want to try Greedo here, then it is worth discussing whether this is legal or not.

Thanks for any clarification.

That's a pretty good question.

I think that since choosing open groups is a stage at the beginning of a mission, and in the Introduction that stage isn't so much skipped as it is "Choose out of the zero possibilities that you have."

It's a subtle difference, but I guess it makes sense. If I'm wrong, though, I should probably know, since we're starting a new campaign soon.

I agree, open groups aren't skipped, but your hand does contains 0 cards. The nemesis starter will still had a card to your hand (that previously contained 0 cards).

You add one earned villain to your hand of 0 open groups.

Compare to Saska's skill which allows an additional modification to be added to weapons with 0 slots.

I think I will try Bosk and Inquisitor.. Just for the lols :D.

I gotta say, Blaise, Bossk, Terro and Greedo seem to be the most efficient characters to pick with this