Half-Tracks in OpFire

By Belloq, in Tide of Iron

So I had my SdKfz 251 drop my Anti-Tank squad at a strategic, elevated position in an attempt to stem an onslaught of Shermans. Then I placed the half-track in OpFire to support/cover the AT squad. Now I haven't played many scenarios with half-tracks, so I thought to myself: "Hmmm.... Weren't these mounted with MG-42's or 34's? Doesn't the half-track have the same Range and Firepower as an MG Crew...? Shouldn't the half-track qualify for Rapid OpFire? " Without digging through the rulebook, my opponent and I concluded that it made sense.

After game I decided to see if the rules addressed this matter (directly) or at least supported or prohibited our decision. I've deduced that the rules, by not identifying this ability for half-tracks (p. 40) does not allow for half-track-rapid-opfire (even though the multiple-attack-op-fire rules on p. 32 imply that units other than MG crews may have this capability).

This left me with the question, Why not? Why are half-tracks (mounted with MG's) not given the Rapid OpFire capability? Perhaps there is a sound historical/tactical reasons...?

i still have a grudge about not being able to carry two squads. As far as mechanized infantry/panzergrenadiers/etc. normally had 2-3 MGs that moved with the squads and 1 that stayed with the half-track.

Late-war German Panzergrenadier units did have (light) MGs in abundance, but without the tripod mount, so they were not suited for the sustained fire role of the heavy MGs.Light MGs are not yet covered by ToI.

I guess half-track MGs are treated as light MGs as they do not have a complete team of loader, gunner and spotter. Maybe that is the reason they are not allowed Rapid Op Fire. Just a guess though...

That is a very sound logic!

KlausFritsch said:

Late-war German Panzergrenadier units did have (light) MGs in abundance, but without the tripod mount, so they were not suited for the sustained fire role of the heavy MGs.Light MGs are not yet covered by ToI.

I guess half-track MGs are treated as light MGs as they do not have a complete team of loader, gunner and spotter. Maybe that is the reason they are not allowed Rapid Op Fire. Just a guess though...

Ah--great point. That works wonders!

Maybe Rapid Op-Fire is possible for a house rules variant if a MG unit is being transported, but then it'd fatigue the unit...

KlausFritsch said:

Well, this seems like a good guess as to why. I think I will experiment with a house rule over the next few games.... Thanks for input.

The machinegun models are proberly meant to represent heavy machinegun teams or perhaps several machineguns.

But the real reason for not letting halftracks use op-fire, would proberly be game balance. An MG that can not be suppressed nor killed at range sounds very daunting. Letting Halftracks have Op-fire also leads to the question: "How about tanks?" Most tanks also mounted several MGs. All of a sudden we are looking at a whole range of rules changes.

I would have to agree with Hefsgaard on this point, a Half-track with rapid op-fire would be too abusive and unbalancing.

I must agree as well. After giving some more thought into it, armored cars don't have the visibility or freedom of movement one would have with an mg out on the field.