Using Both Main Boards: The Talisman Underworld Variant

By Vyvyan Basterd, in Talisman Home Brews

I found another picture from the last time I busted out the whole kit. It's better than the others and shows all the stuff better. I'm the guy in the red Hawaiian shirt, lol

13254122_1258926044119418_43982721979633

I'd love to play a game like that, but friends can barely handle the game with the corner boards as it is. What's the skinny board in front of you? Looks like it's another bridge between main boards.

That's a piece I call "The Semblance." It's a bridge that links the two Hidden Valley spaces on the two core boards. It's designed so that if you roll a six, you can skip the whole thing, but anything less (intentionally or accidental,) and you're going to encounter Terrain cards. It's designed to be fluid and in flux, like The Semblance from old 2nd Edition AD&D.

Check out my expansion "A Tale of Two Core Boards" on Talisman Island for more details. :)

There's also a little rectangular board there that we play as an optional bit. We do co-op exclusively, and that little board is called "The Cloister of Trials". I don't know if I ever sent the details on that one to Talisman Island or not. The rules are a little janky, but it's been in our game for like ten years, so we make it work, lol. It's like a gauntlet you run before you face the main boss, with a space right at the end for the characters to gather so they can combine their strength to roll over Hastur or Cthulhu, etc. We put portals to it on the Crown spaces of both boards. Most of the spaces in the Cloister instruct you to draw "Monster" cards, (A deck of high level enemies which I later merged with Jon's Nether deck) but some cause you to draw cards from a mixture of encounter decks. It's chaotic, haha.

Here's a good shot of the Semblance:

13043274_10208240266916227_4334907310172

20170320_172817-1.jpg

Finally finished the map for the sea-themed corner board! Also, see below a picture of the Cloister of Trials (previously mentioned.) It's a little janky rules-wise, but I've updated a couple of the spaces with newer errata.

20170320_173744.jpg

Good work with the Isles board. I had experimented with a Timescape-like variant of my own idea, but didn't end up liking it as much. Opted for something that's more like the non-City corner boards, winding back and forth on a long voyage to an ultimate destination. Not sure how I feel about it at the moment.

Anyhow, here are " Voyaging Cards " I currently have. Not all of them are Polynesian / Micronesian / Australian-inspired, but a good chunk are. With some tweaking maybe we could get our ideas to be compatible. The main thing from mine that I'd really want to keep is the "shipwrecked" mechanic, which is kind of like being sent to Jail in the city. Getting shipwrecked sends you to the Desert Island, which is difficult to leave once you're there. The other board-specific Spaces referenced in the cards, like Cloud Island and the Abyssal Trench, could be dealt with in other ways.

EDIT: Added 12 additional cards (complete with typos! Yay!). Mostly ships to sail, fight, or salvage.

Edited by Reedstilt

Looks great! Man, there are a lot of fantastic cards in that post! Thank you for sharing! I'll have to integrate a number of them into my personal copy of Talisman, and likewise, once Shimmering Isles is up on Talisman Island, feel free to integrate and be inspired for your own set-up as well. :)

Glad you liked them. If you need any assets from them let me know. Otherwise, I probably won't get around to uploading corrected cards for a while.

After finishing the ships in the update, I had an idea that would work well with the Pirate-themed Space on my board. Could work for yours as well if you'd want to make it a See Rules Space instead of a Draw 1 Card Space. For me, the Pirate Space would now do the following: "Move any Outlaw Enemy in this Region to this Space. If there are none, draw 1 Card." All the Voyaging Outlaws (the various pirate ships at the moment) would then have effects that make them steal from players if they win and place whatever is stolen at the Pirate Space. So, The Widow would no longer destroy your vessel; it places the Vessel on the Pirate Space, and The Dark Minion would put your gold there (if it wins, rather than immediately as it does now).

Also, I seem to have drifted into meta-expansion territory a bit, with a card that overlaps with the Harbinger expansion. Not sure which way would be better - a Harbinger card that interacts with the Voyaging area, or a Voyaging card that interacts with the Harbinger's stuff. It's essentially R'lyeh, rising from the depths and portending doom - a Voyaging Place that discards the top Omen Card and moves all Cultists to it. Any suggestions?

Other new Cards I'm working on: Davy Jones (Spirit - shuffles discard Outlaws back into their decks), The Flying Talisman (Spirit - a ghost ship that requires a Talisman to fight effectively), Wellspring Salmon , Hippocampus, White Whale, and a couple of squids.

Edited by Reedstilt
14 hours ago, Earl Wynn said:

... once Shimmering Isles is up on Talisman Island...

Later today. I've not forgotten, just a fair bit going on! :)

...and done!

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=4888

Edited by talismanisland
Updating with download link!
15 hours ago, Reedstilt said:

For me, the Pirate Space would now do the following: "Move any Outlaw Enemy in this Region to this Space. If there are none, draw 1 Card." All the Voyaging Outlaws (the various pirate ships at the moment) would then have effects that make them steal from players if they win and place whatever is stolen at the Pirate Space. So, The Widow would no longer destroy your vessel; it places the Vessel on the Pirate Space, and The Dark Minion would put your gold there (if it wins, rather than immediately as it does now).

Also, I seem to have drifted into meta-expansion territory a bit, with a card that overlaps with the Harbinger expansion. Not sure which way would be better - a Harbinger card that interacts with the Voyaging area, or a Voyaging card that interacts with the Harbinger's stuff. It's essentially R'lyeh, rising from the depths and portending doom - a Voyaging Place that discards the top Omen Card and moves all Cultists to it. Any suggestions?

All excellent suggestions! For my own set, I might make Event cards that mirror those mechanics. It's a neat idea, especially since most of my Cultists contain rules errata that summons Nether cards when you beat them. Could create some serious chaos! :D

13 hours ago, talismanisland said:

Later today. I've not forgotten, just a fair bit going on! :)

...and done!

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=4888

You're awesome, as always, Jon! No worries at all. We all have lives that come first. Keep up the good work! :)

6 hours ago, Earl Wynn said:

All excellent suggestions! For my own set, I might make Event cards that mirror those mechanics. It's a neat idea, especially since most of my Cultists contain rules errata that summons Nether cards when you beat them. Could create some serious chaos! :D

Great work! I may just use your board instead since mine is very bare-bones proof-of-concept at the moment. I'll have to tweak the rule sheet for my own purposes of course, and some of the cards will need to be removed or errata'd, but it's an amazing base to work from. Any chance I could get a blank Islands card to play around with? Especially if its Strange Eons friendly.

I do have some questions and comments though on some of the cards, so here goes:

First, Piracy Cards. I love the concept here, but I need some clarification. Nothing on the board says to draw these, so I'm assuming they're just in the deck. In which case, I think they should have Encounter 1 instead of 6, so they don't get locked behind an Enemy. If you compete your heist, do you keep or discard the Piracy Card? My instinct says to discard it once completely, but I'm also guessing you need to have it to keep track of places you can't go anymore. Several of the Piracy cards let you take a Relic Card. Since there are only 4 in the Highlands expansion, are there any fan-made additions to the Relic deck that I should be aware of? Otherwise, someone might have to make more.

Several of the Enemies appear to have the wrong Encounter numbers. Craft Enemies with 2, Strength Enemies with 3, Strength+Craft Enemies with >1 (something I need to fix on several of my own cards now that I think about it). Some of these may be intentional, but seems like there are too many for that. I'm guessing you just had the numbers flipped in your head for a while.

Also, the pedant in me insists on mentioning that your catamarans are actually outriggers. Outriggers have a main hull with a smaller side hull for stability. Catamarans have two hulls of equal size.

Good suggestions. :)
Odd encounter numbers were intentional, but I realize they wouldn't be to every table's taste. Thank you for your thoroughness! Definitely adapt any of the elements so they work with your set. I'd love to see any additional cards you come up with. :)
Thank you also for the tip on the outrigger! I felt like something was off when I named it "Catamaran" but wasn't sure.
As for Piracy cards, I figured the players would hang onto them as reminders about where they can no longer go. They are only discarded if they are turned down by everyone initially.
As for the Relic cards, it's been so long since I've modded that set that I forgot it came with so few. With my personal copy, I've expanded it to include over 50 new items. I tend to play the Relic, Treasure and Remnant decks as reward decks, with Relics being the most powerful (and most rare) Treasures being midgrade and Remnants being salvage, gimmees, grab bag, etc.
The template for the Shimmering Isle cards was created by Abubu-pl (see Timescape thread for details) and Arthan is working on a port to SE. :)

Cool, I'll wait until Arthan is done uploading those templates. It'll give me some time to work on some non-Talisman projects for a bit.

Are your extra Relics on TalismanIsland or elsewhere?

I don't remember for certain, but I don't think I've plugged any relics into any of my other expansions posted on Talisman Island. Maybe. I can't recall offhand. Most of the cards I used I migrated over from other expansions, like "The Vision" expansion, which has a lot of cards I migrated from one deck to other decks where they would fit better with my table's playstyle. Definitely check out that expansion, if you haven't already.

This is the only one in my Relic deck that I know for sure I created (instead of just adapted.)

Phoenix-Potion-Front-Face2.jpg

20170331_125619.jpg

I took some time to spread all of the boards out on the couch this morning. Not as good as spreading it out on a table, but I don't have an 9ft x 6ft table at home, so it'll have to do for now. The biggest problem with this layout is that there's no room for any of Jon's awesome Realms miniboards.

Fortunately, I'm working on a way to implement those as challenges (see the Timescape thread for details on that neat game mechanic!)

Is the blank corner board in the Dark World going to be the Yokai region mentioned before? Have you got a chance to play with the Isles yet? And what's the little board between the Timescape and the Dungeon?

Yep! The blank board is the Yokai board. Currently, it's half illustrated (my fiancee is illustrating it for me.) Still waiting for the cards to come in from the printer's to play with the Isles and "Shinkai" (Yokai Board.)

The little board between the Timescape and the Dungeon is a little afterlife board I designed called "The Great Beyond." When you die, you can either go straight to reincarnating (90% chance of entering play with a random character next turn) or explore and draw Astral cards, or explore and work your way toward the Resurrection space, which takes time, but allows your character to start over with their current character, on the space where they were previously killed.

On 24.03.2017 at 1:05 AM, Earl Wynn said:

The template for the Shimmering Isle cards was created by Abubu-pl (see Timescape thread for details) and Arthan is working on a port to SE. :)

Nice to know that this template was useful for someone else :) ... but i can see that SE version is poor quality.

In PSD You can find 300DPI version. Direct link (latest version): http://forum.magiaimiecz.eu/upload/users/abubu/templates/tmim/tmim-konflikt/frakcja-wybrzeże-v01.01.zip