Quick question about splash damage attacks & grenades

By Demax51, in DOOM: The Board Game

Can those who receive damage from indirect sources (such as the "splash damage" effect for units adjacent to the target on attacks like "Up Close and Personal", or any unit damaged by a grenade explosion) defend against those attacks? Or does the damage just apply without revealing a defense card? and what happens in this situation for demons that are armored?

The way my friends and I have interpreted this for our first few games is that the unit receiving that damage does NOT get to reveal a card to defend, but they CAN play a card from their hand to mitigate the damage, and armored enemies DO reduce the damage taken for their armor.

What do you guys and gals think?

Nope, no defense card, no armor.

You draw defense cards when you are attackdd. Splash damage is distinctly NOT an attack, but simply a damage source.

Similarly, armor is only applied when you receive an attack and again, splash damage is not an attack.

Works this way in all the games DOOM is based on, and the rules as written support it.

Edited by Tvayumat

Thanks very much, Tvayumat!

I kinda thought that would be the case, but my GF was getting her butt kicked as the Invader last night, so we decided to go easy on her and let her use cards from her hand & armor (she still lost :D ).

Playing as the Invader definitely takes more effort and concentration than the Marines.

Tell her to try Revenants, and use the Posessed Soldier's Overwatch. Good tricks.

It's *possible* that innate armor values like the cyber demon has do apply to splash damage, but I don't have the RRG in front of me.

Playing as the Invader definitely takes more effort and concentration than the Marines.

Tell her to try Revenants, and use the Posessed Soldier's Overwatch. Good tricks.

It's *possible* that innate armor values like the cyber demon has do apply to splash damage, but I don't have the RRG in front of me.

Thanks for the tips! Driving home after our last game she said "I think I needed to use more Possessed Soldiers in Overwatch" so she figured that part out at least. But yeah, it does seem to require a bit more strategy and coordination to be successful with the invader.

I actually got in touch with Jon Ying on reddit, and he told me that armor does NOT count in this instance either, so your initial reply was indeed correct.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the tips! Driving home after our last game she said "I think I needed to use more Possessed Soldiers in Overwatch" so she figured that part out at least. But yeah, it does seem to require a bit more strategy and coordination to be successful with the invader.

I actually got in touch with Jon Ying on reddit, and he told me that armor does NOT count in this instance either, so your initial reply was indeed correct.

Thanks again!

Good to know!

And yeah, overwatched soldiers are remarkably powerful.

Tell her not to underestimate Imps, though. If you can use Crippling Strike on a marine to stun them then follow up with a Charged Fireball and play Demonic Precision to get a good roll, they can do a LOT of damage!