Hero groups!

By Andi1066, in Road to Legend

yeh, as the title states, im wondering what hero groups you guys have chosen so far for RtL

i just started it the first time and so far i really like it! :P

my heroes :

Grisban the thirsty as Champion
Okaluk and Rakash as Prophet
Jaine Fairwood as Stalker
Syndrael as Steelcaster / Conjurer

i have to admit, that in cases, where the hero group is allowed to positionate the monsters (if more than one space is possible) i simply do dice rolls so that its random where monsters attack / engage me or retreat to instead of doing the best for me (respecting the important rules though...so engaging -> closest possible space or retreating -> as far away as possbile and so on)

At the moment i reached the point where the story tells the player, to get the act 2 Monsters out of the box (i played 4 side quests additionally so far i think)

2-3 quest have been quite close so far within these 8 quest i think? or 7? (monsters got me down to a morale of 2 one time and two times down to a morale of 1)

but most of the side quests seemed to be to a bit too easy...a little bit harder would be better in general i think (though it may be the case, that it simply helps a lot to let always one weak minion monster of a group still live so that the probabitly is decreased that a strong and full monstergroup after activation of hero A starts....and just this one minion goblin archer goes first...making space for at least one frther hero to attack that strong monstergroup before they start their activation

anyway, back to my setup :

Grisban the thirsty as champion

-> mainly because i have never seen Grisban in action and i think he is not thaat bad....his feature to get easily rid of any conditions (except stunned) is quite nice in my opinion ! ..and 14 life is also nice to have. started with the skill to get everyone a valor token and then the skill where he is allowed to move according to his speed and then attack and everyone gets even more valor tokens or stamina if monster got killed

-> always thought of champions as being not that good, but these valor tokens are very nice ...at least in RtL ....this additional dmg almost all the time for my 3 dmg-dealers is very nice ! ...will follow up now with the no merc skill to get many free attacks ^^

maybe these tokens work nice so far is because i got the lucky dice (good reroll for champion to trigger the kill for 2 valor token for each hero nearby) and that i got the axe with pierce 1 at start on the marketplace

this combo works very very nice so far !...these 4 MP at the start are just like one free action ....and the prohet starting weapon is very nice anyway...reach and always one extra dmg the the start? yeh sure ! ....prophet skills i took so far dont need much stamina -> nice for thie hero too!! and...okaluk and rakash are very balanced with respect to their attributs...so nice with the starting book of the prophet !...found the staff of light in the campagin -> maybe the best stamina recoverer i could have imagined of !...2 life and + stamina quite often for all heroes, since his hero ability let him positionate every turn so easily ...very nice combo

well....not sure if i will ever see a stalker if there is an active overlord so i wanted to test it...but at the moment...i really really like this class tbh !....got the skill with extra green dice for attacks if monsters are near a trap token, got the skill where searching only needs one stamina if near search tokens and luckily bought the bow which grants 1 further green attack die if the hero hasnt moved that turn so far

jaine has much stamina...so getting these traps and this attack skill out is quite easy...esp with that stamina regenerating prophet ...so jaine kicks out attacks in act 1 with 4 attack dices !!...wtf i thought...usually doing with this additional valore token dmg around 9 dmg (2 surge for +3 dmg and 1 surge for +1 dmg and 2 range) ...she just stands there and attakcing the whole time...and when she has to follow ...and is a long distance behind...well... 5 speed / heroic feat and shes there again ^^

further nice thing..since i get no mercy now for the champion...she may attack in enemy turns...so always the green extra dice for attacks too, if she hasnt moved in that turn :'D

And Syndrael as Steelcaster / Conjurer

this is maybe my absolut most fav combination ...syndrael...like jain...just standing there and attacking the **** out of the monsters....every time i visit tamalir, syndrael gets one extra XP ..just because i really love this combo ....in all these 8 quest so far...im 100% sure i have moved her under 10 times alltogether....she kicks out these images , able to attack anywhere, and then teleporting her way forward (the most insane thing at start -> got the teleportation rune the second time i visited tamalir and well you know..the green extra die if there are 3 images on the board easily gives me many surges )...so she always gets 2 stamina back....so its even ok if i get these 3 images off the board again (you know..since i let the monsters attack random targets instead of telling them which closest hero they shall attack, it may happen, that the mosnters kill all images, which gives syndrael 3 dmg and 3 stamina dmg...) but syndrael doesnt give a **** to get all tokens every turn again on the board !...3 stamina for 3 images....she gets 2 back anyway...and since i attack 2 times...i get many surges and can spend sometimes one for stamina recovery.....or well...you know...that stamina recover machine okaluk and Rakash as a prophet is still there too... ^^

well..surely i got her the heavy armor and the steelcaster skill, that she can still gear up with runes and get another stamina recover ability + 2 life recovery

and her heroic feat works nice too, since with it she can positionate her images in case i want to get out an attack with +X dmg where X is the number of images nearby the attacked monster

biggest weak point though -> barghests with howl since she has only 2 in willpower ...but due to this stamina recover....i simply take the images off the board most times...which really wants me to see, if she can also be that good against an Overlord-player...since the app ..well...is not that tactical ´sometimes ^^

really wondering about your opinion about this hero setup and your experience with your hero setups in RtL ! :)

The only problem I have with Grisban is that his heroic ability is overshadowed by other game rules.

Sure, he can take a rest action to get rid of any condition....but... consider this:

You only get the benefit of the Rest action at the end of your turn, even if rest is your first action, so you only remove the condition after your turn has ended.

Poison: might test, easy for Grisban

Stun: requires an action, and as stated above, using Grisban's heroic ability, you would only remove it after ending your turn.

Immobilize: removed at the end of your turn

Burning: costs an action to remove, same problem as stun

So the problem is that apart from Terrify, there are not many conditions that are advantageous to Grisban so essentially, you lose the use of one hero's ability.

The only problem I have with Grisban is that his heroic ability is overshadowed by other game rules.

Sure, he can take a rest action to get rid of any condition....but... consider this:

You only get the benefit of the Rest action at the end of your turn, even if rest is your first action, so you only remove the condition after your turn has ended.

Poison: might test, easy for Grisban

Stun: requires an action, and as stated above, using Grisban's heroic ability, you would only remove it after ending your turn.

Immobilize: removed at the end of your turn

Burning: costs an action to remove, same problem as stun

So the problem is that apart from Terrify, there are not many conditions that are advantageous to Grisban so essentially, you lose the use of one hero's ability.

Actually, the FAQ changed this. Grisban now removes the condition as soon as he declares the rest action, not at the end of his turn. So in some cases his ability would still be useful as his first action.

Edited by ProtoPersona

ahh didnt know, that it used to be the way, that Grisban first gets rid of conditions at the end of his turn.

But according to the new ruling:

there is only stun / poison / disease which is partly problematic to get rid of, isnt it?
poison/disease triggers at start -> so he has to suffer these 2 at least once (but as you stated out, poison is weak on him with strength 5 and even disease is "ok" with willpower 3)
stun though needs indeed to have him use one action to get rid of it :/

in case of bleeding im a bit unsure though : i chose to rest at start, then both bleeding and the heroic ability trigger at the same time -> i am the active player and i chose to first get rid of bleeding -> so...is there still an effect of bleeding on me? -> read an example in the unofficial FAQ where Sir Alric Farrow still gets the 2 dmg from entereing a pit space, even while chosing to first get out of it via "overpower" => so....guess this rest/bleeding effects are quite similar? so it would make sense to me, that grisban still suffers 1 fatigue from bleeding, but im not sure about it

Sounds like the golden rule applies here. Thus the player should get to choose the order they apply. I'd say removing the condition first should remove the condition's effect so Grisban wouldn't suffer any fatigue loss.

I agree that the golden rule would apply if the trigger would be the same.

However, I think that is not the case here. Grisban's hero ability triggers on "perform" an acton whereas the bleed effect triggers on "resolve" an action, which is the last thing that happens after an action has been performed (e.g. an attack is being only resolved after all the steps of combat).

In Grisban's case the "immediately" emphasizes that conditons are removed as soon as the rest action is being performed, but I think this would happen even without this addition.

Edited by Sadgit

ahh nice !, ok..then it strengthen a bit my view of Grisban :)

and by now i have finished the RtL campaign

Have to say, that (at least in regards of the warrior heroes i currently posses) a better champion may would have been Nanok or Sir Rheynhardt....at least in general..since i found the lucky dice,Rheynhardt was not that important anymore, but Nanoks black defense die + speed of 4 would have been more advantagous in some situations with respect to motivating charge

Equipment and skills of each hero in the finale :

Grisban as Champion

Skills: Glory of Battle, Stoic Resolve, No Mery, Motivating Charge
Gear: Leather Armor, Dragontoothhammer, Lucky Dice, Horn of Courage

Skills: Battle Vision, Forewarning, All-Seeing, Focused Insights

Gear: Staff of Light, Stone Armor, and this amazing Prophet Book Sages Tome

Skills:
Makeshift Trap, Exploit, Lay of the Land, Ambush
Gear: Bow of Bone...yeh...just one act 1 bow....and still she did amazing

Syndrael as Steelcaster / Conjurer

Skills: every single possible skill except shield Mage
Gear: Blasting Rune, Elven Boots, Mana Weave, Plate Mail

The finale was quite straightforward with this setup

-> Grisban killed as much as possible with his Motivating charge (so went with this usually against monsters with little health left or less health alltogether) granting quite often all chars 2 Valor tokens, which have mainly been used to trigger once per round one additional attack via "no Mercy" if nearby Grisban. He easily killed low health monsters due to Dragontooth Hammer (pierce 1 and plus 1 dmg since he had nothing in his other hand and 3 attack die...and for surge 2 additional pierce) and in case he rolled a miss..well..lucky dice or sometimes a reroll via bard skill by paying 2 fatigue. With 15 Life and brown+grey defense die + sometimes 2 additional shields via bard skill if he had the insight token / or 1 additional shield via the use of one valor token , he usually withstood the regular enemy waves....i tried to place him a bit behind though...due to his low speed he did this anyway, lol ^^ and for his attacks he usually used the valor tokens to add one additional dmg -> never used the "no mercy" skill on/with himself...was more favourable to let him simply kill the remaining leftovers with maximized dmg

-> Okaluk and Rakash did hardly anything else than walking towards the frontline with his heroic ability, and trying to withstand enemy waves with his stone armor and the additional use of valor tokens for + 1 shield ...while walking towards there he almost used all of the times 2 actions for his staff of light, while the most heroes possible were in range. he swaped the insight token around with his 2 skills and all adjacent heroes also got 1 fatigue + 1 health back with his other skill. 10 health + valor token + 1 grey and 2 black def dice was usually nire than enough for him to hold the lines -> and well...with his actions/insighttokens i often recovered 3-4 life for 3-4 heroes, while he usually casted the insight token on himself to get 1 additional life back for using the insight token....in case he might have died...well...still had his heroic feat. (though as i understood it correctly : if he is KOed and uses heroic feat, he wont have 4 MP that turn, right? since his hero ability triggers only at the start of his turn, and there he still is dead meaning, he isnt able to use it, right?

Jaine did nothing else than getting a trap out of her pocket and attacking high health monsters with this act 1 bow with 4 attack die. After attacking 2 times she started walking 0-4 spaces (depending on the fact if there was a search token on the way, which only costed 1 fatigue to search, and if she rolled enough surges to still get one fatigue back per attack) Imprtant for her though: have 1 fatigue left for a possible use of ambush -> so another free attack outside of my turn. She usually spent valor tokens only to use the "no mercy" skill from Grisban if Syndrael did not use it, or wont be able to (well jaine only could attack with 3 dice that way) Since she usally stood 1-3 spaces behind the frontline, she was quite save...and if sth bad happened, she could manage the dmg via her heroic ability -> okaluk afterwards simply made his mass heal, mass fatigue recover thing anyway ^^

Syndrael was the big dmg dealer in that group -> she got her images out, attacked wherever there were tough enemies. With all the bought skills and gear she had 3 speed, 5 stamina, 16 life, black + grey def die (well..usually one additional brown if adjacent to 1+ images) . I tried to stand with here always in the frontline near Okaluk . sometimes i had to use her port skill, to get 5 spaces far in case she was not in the frontline...but well...that skill also stuns all adjacent monsters..so it was fine to "only" attack once in her turn ^^. POsitive for her being in frontline: it was sure she got attacked and with her other skill, she usually used this for her own favor to get another image out and walk 2 spaces in enemy turns if she received no dmg. With elven boots she was able to positionate her images a bit. I had left 2 images in the start area and with her def skill+that one attack skill which also makes her cast an image for 2 fatigue i had quite often all 4 images on the board. since it cost extra MP to enter spaces adjacent to an image, she did easily save grisban or jaine from harm. 16 life and often 3 def dice PLUS surge = 1 fatigue and 2 Health in combination with okaluk made her stay at a low dmg most of the times. She hit hard and recovered a lot with her attacks due to 2 green dice and Mana Weave. Her heroic ability triggered almost every turn too. Tried to always watch out, that not to many of my own figures sufffered the blasting rune effect. For endbosses she usually got all 4 images ready to grant 1 additional dmg per image for her attack. Since she was in frontline she could attack most of the times from her space, but if this was not possible or not favourable somteims, she simply used her images

the mutants were no problem at all ...my attributes were nice balanced with all my gear + skills->
Syndrael had 4 Strength, 2 Willpower, 4 Wisdom and 2 Dexterity...so here was my highest wisdom
Okaluk had 3, 3, 2, 4...and with this really amazing book he was able to boost his dexterity even higher than jaines value xD
Jaine had 2, 2, 3,4 ...so nothing special
Grisban had 5, 3, 2, 1...highest strength here

the other mutants were easy too : the one where a hero had to withstand all dmg -> okaluk with stone armor+valor token+forewarning
the one which a required range of 6+ : jaine with all her 4 attack die -> bow of bone even grants +2 range for one surge and all attack dice could have range anyway
the one which required a dmg of +8 : syndrael with a maxed out attack -> valor+images+4attack die+ mana weave for at least one certain surge that is required for +4 dmg
and the one which required 3 surges -> gave jaine mana weave and let her attack with 4 attack die...worked as all the others directly the first time i tried it...wasnt sure about the second green attack die, but i had 4 surges with mana weave anyway ^^

and against the bosses : syndrael built up flesh/illusion walls with okaluk and attacked as often as possible ..most of the times 3 attacks per round. Jaine weakened them with her skill as soon as possible and made good dmg too. Grisban was mainly activated to get one valor token to syndrael and wating for an enemy to reach low health status. And Okaluk..well...just walked around and initiated health/stamina recovering

i had no real AoE dmg (ecxcept blasting rune effect) but since only one monster suffers full dmg in RtL i wasnt upset not having anything explosion like.^^

Alltogether i think that this hero setup and bought gear did amazing good in that campagin....hardly had to use my hero feats. ...it was just a plus in case i want to proceed a bit faster...or often in used jaines just to walk back again, before the end of a quest and grab this/these last search tokens i was not able to pick up earlier, due to getting rid of monsters. Syndrael usually used hers to speed everyone up, grisban used his if it was quite sure to get valor tokens out of it for everyone, and okaluk used his in case i really had trouble with my health

furthermore i have to say, that okaluk and rakash is an amzing prophet..esp with that staff....and syndrael is really amazing as a conjurer. I think, that sages tome is really awesome and Bow of Bone may be my new fav. act 1 Bow (havnt had it before) it did even very well in act 2