My deep, dark secret

By Budgernaut, in BattleLore

I actually hadn't purchased any army packs until September of this year. But all my posts about expansion units have been theoretical because those packs were for Christmas. My family opened some early presents this morning and I opened my army packs. Tonight I got a game in against a new player (a cousin-in-law). He played Undead and I played Uthuk. I was so excited to finally use Blood Sisters and Grotesques (I had been eyeing them for years, but kept spending money on X-Wing instead.

I really like the Blood Sisters. In my game they were phenomenal. They did more than the Necromancers! Now I'm sure that's at least partially due to dice variance, but I look forward to fielding more of them. They may not be as far beneath the curve as I had thought.

I expected Grotesques to be mediocre and I wasn't disappointed. They bled a few units but were otherwise unremarkable.

Berserkers are awesome! And oh shoot, as I write this I realize I only put 3 figures in each unit instead of 4. Oh well. They were still stars. My favorite part was when I had a 2-health Berserkers unit between full-health Reanimates on a VP, and a 1-health Barghests unit in a forest. The Reanimates attacked and my Bone Spurs brought it down to 1 figure. I countered and rerolled into 2 heroic results, allowing me to eliminate both adjacent units. That felt really good!

That was deeper and darker than I expected ;)

Edit: What are your thoughts on the legendary for uthuk? I personally love it, but it has a lot of weird mechanics compared to other units like rooting stuff in place.

Edited by Willange

Are you talking about the Doombringer? I used it a lot in BattleLore: Command. I really like it! But then, I am an entomologist, so I naturally find bugs to be cool - even if its a spiny demon-bug.

The one thing I know I need to watch out for is the Immobilize ability. In BL:C, it only immobilizes enemy units next to the Doombringer at the end of the Uthuk's turn and even then, it only activates if the Doombringer was ordered. In the boardgame version, Immobilize is always active and - as far as I'm aware - can even stop enemy units in the middle of their movement step. I think it's a very nice ability.

The combination of 3 movement and Burrow makes the Doombringer an extremely mobile unit for the Uthuk Y'llan. Burrow is fantastic. Unlike Flying, it doesn't have a defensive bonus, but that's okay because it has Immobilize and Devour, which are both good abilities..

Devour is a great ability. I don't think it is usual to see armies composed primarily of elite and legend units. All factions have somd great infantry and cavalry units. The result is that you can almost always get Devour to trigger. I just choose to keep Doombringers away from other legends and let Viper Legions (or now Blood Sisters) take on enemy legend units.

In my game, the Doombringer was instrumental in taking over two VP banners. It took over one and held it for a few rounds, and then it moved off to take over a second banner. That turn I only ordered one other unit beside the Doombringer, and that was a bleeding Grotesque that just moved onto the hex the Doombringer vacated. That turn was totally worth it, even though the Doombringer was basically the only unit to move. It is such a powerful and useful unit.

The one thing to watch out for is that it really isn't too beefy. If you aren't careful, it can get surrounded and disposed of quite easily. It's not like the Chaos Lord that can wade into battle and weather the storm of incoming attacks. But its mobility means you can plan its engagements better.

Haha. Now we know the desents of your soul ;)

I i'm not so very excited about the doombringer as you are. He has his good moments, but I think he's way behind the Roc Warrior. With his 4 LP, he is the most vulnereable legend of the game ( I think flying may be counted as 1 to 2 additional lifepoints ). His attack is with with 3x50% against inf/kav intermediate 1.5 dmg and against the rest 3x 33% intermediate 1 dmg . In comparison the Roc warrior has for every attack 4x 33% intermediate 1.3 dmg and one more dice to generate retreat/lore result. Doombringers main problem is: he loses every duel against enemy legends (worst match-up against his bigger brother the Roc warrior were he does just 50% less dmg then the Roc by same other stats!) and he is just on par if he fight against enemy elite, you don't get the best spot to often for the 8 Points, imo. Stays immobilize. In my experience it sounds way stronger then it is. Yes it has won me some games, but in most cases it didn't had much influence. To be on par with the Roc, immobilize must be as strong as the defense Bonus of flying (1), the movement after attacking (2) and the 1 more dice to cause retreat/lore on every attack (3)...!

So my resume is: Extrem vulnereable legend unit. It isn't bad, but tends to be overpriced for 8 Points. He is imo definitivly weaker then the Roc Warrior. Also (why have they done that?) it's the only legend without a proper lore card. I chose him over all if there is no spot for the demon lord and/or if I need his movement (lots of rivers or to cacth an enemy VP on T1, prefered in buildings...). He would fit better into the Daqan fraction imo, because devour would heaviliy aproveach of the bonus dices that Daqan is able to generate...

Edited by phalgast

The Doombringer has 5 health, not 4. If Flying were worth 1 point of health, the Roc and Doombringer would have the same health. I absolutely agree that the Doombringer suffers against other legend units, but that feels like it was built into its design because Immobilize also doesn't work on enemy legend units.

I agree that the Doombringer needed its own Lore card. I would want one that gives it a defensive bonus. That would let you send it out in front of a VP hex to use Immobilize to keep enemy units from getting to the VP banner without getting it killed in one turn. Alternatively, it could have a lore card that makes all adjacent enemy units lose Flying, but that only works on 4 units so far.

If I were to make an overpowered ability for it, I would add to Immobilize that non-legend units adjacent to Doombringers at the start of the Move step cannot attack the Doombringer that turn.

Regarding cost, I think it's also important to compare it to 6-point cavalry (becausw I see it as a legend-cavalry unit, as far as movement and how you use it). Is it 2 points better than existing cavalry?

You're obviously right about the LP. Still, Doombringer feels way more vulnereable then Roc Warrior imo. And I prefer also the attack of the Roc warrior.

And I agree, it's kind of a legend cavalry unit. I think it's attack is worse then flesh ripper brutes, but obvious he has more LP. It may be worth, I play the Doombringer also from time to time. But 3 attack without any bonus against half of enemy units is very few. And as told his defense is quite limit also. He just has a great movement, and that is the main reason to play him. I startet the Uthuk expansion at the same time as the basegame and I was sure that Doombringer will be Player over the Demon Lord with his poor movement. But I play the Lord more often. In the right spot, he fullfills his duty excellent. Doombringer is not nearby such a threat, but the bug flexible and from time to time nice spot.

That's pretty deep and dark. My secret is that I don't own the Great Dragon :ph34r: .

I really loved the first two expansions. The siege golem is incredible, and the uthuk expansions if nothing else give more variety. And finally someone who agrees with me on Berzerkers!

Edited by Toenail

The Doombringer is NO Legend-Killer, he sucks against the Roc, and he sucks nuts against the Barrow Wyrm, but he is a nightmare for all Infantry and Cavalry, that's what he is made for. He is comparable to the Banshee and the Siege Golem, which are also no Killer Units but have rather strategic use.

Whenever the enemy has a VP on a building, I choose the Doombringer and put him there as soon as possible. The Roc doesn't get the defense Bonus and the Chaoslord is not allowed to enter buildings, so the Doombringer can shine.

Edited by Alter Sack

Yet another difference between the board game and digital game: Doombringers are Massive in the app, so they can't enter buildings.

The Doombringer is NO Legend-Killer, he sucks against the Roc, and he sucks nuts against the Barrow Wyrm, but he is a nightmare for all Infantry and Cavalry, that's what he is made for. He is comparable to the Banshee and the Siege Golem, which are also no Killer Units but have rather strategic use.

Whenever the enemy has a VP on a building, I choose the Doombringer and put him there as soon as possible. The Roc doesn't get the defense Bonus and the Chaoslord is not allowed to enter buildings, so the Doombringer can shine.

As I calculated before, Doombringer has just 0.2 dmg more (intermediate) against kav and inf as the Roc, Barrow, Banshee or Demon Lord. He has 0.3 dmg less against all other Targets per attack (and he rolls 1 dice less to generate lore/moral, what has also quite an Impact). And he sucks completely against flying targets. So best to compare is Roc warrior (similar movement, price and attack). And I really think the Roc is clearly better then then the bug...

Yes, beeing in a building, he's quite nice. It's the spot he wants to be in. But he will leave the building with every moral-result so I don't really fear him there. And there are not so much scenarios where you have important buildings...

Edited by phalgast