Use of Grog, Attacking Kraken and Fire in Flooded Rooms

By Dumon, in Red November

Hi there!

I sent these questions to the Heidelberger people and became answers that did not make that much sense when being compared to the rule book. Mainly, because they themselves were not totally sure about the correct ruling. So I'm re-posting them here, hoping for clarification at last...
;-)

1. If I read the rules correctly, then Grog can be used to get a "repair" bonus for anything, right?
2. IF Grog can be used for any repair action, and the Kraken-Killing is listed as a "Fix-It-Action", does that mean you can use Grog to attack the
Kraken, with the possibility to drown unconscious? Or can you even attack the Kraken bare-handed?
3. Is it possible for a fire to break out in a room with Low Water? If not, is the Asphyxiation Track still moved up one space, or not?

Dumon said:

Hi there!

I sent these questions to the Heidelberger people and became answers that did not make that much sense when being compared to the rule book. Mainly, because they themselves were not totally sure about the correct ruling. So I'm re-posting them here, hoping for clarification at last...
;-)

1. If I read the rules correctly, then Grog can be used to get a "repair" bonus for anything, right?
2. IF Grog can be used for any repair action, and the Kraken-Killing is listed as a "Fix-It-Action", does that mean you can use Grog to attack the
Kraken, with the possibility to drown unconscious? Or can you even attack the Kraken bare-handed?
3. Is it possible for a fire to break out in a room with Low Water? If not, is the Asphyxiation Track still moved up one space, or not?

1) Yes, the Grog gives a bonus to any kind of action. it also enables you to move through a room on fire.

2) Yes, you can drink grog to attack the kraken - you're supposed to drink teh grog before putting the aqualung on. And yes, you can attack the kraken with brae hands - it's just longer to kill.`

3) No. Water extinguishes fire, and no fire is possible where there's water. And no, since there's no fire, the asphyxiation marker is not moved in such a case.

Hmmm. We've been playing that a fire that starts in a room with water doesn't add a fire marker, but does increase the asphyxiation track. Now we know better!

Trust me, as the people of london found out on the queens jubilee with the less than spectacular wall of fire on the thames, water isn't very flammable!

Although it sounds odd, in a game about a sinking submarine hunted by a kraken and crewed by gnomes, the best way of settling rule disputes is to use common-se.

No, that is ridiculous.