Battlelore Second Edition More Gameplay Questions

By SWfanforever, in BattleLore

Hello All,

Been playing a few more games of this great game with my kids and more questions keep arising. Here are the newest questions. Please let me know if I played this correctly or not and what I did wrong:

1. I was the Uthuk faction and I played the command card: Calvary Charge. The card reads "Order 3 cavalry units. Add 1 die to each combat roll performed by friendly cavalry units this turn". I was either attacking a Daquan unit that was in a forest (adjacent) or I was in the forest. Now, I understand that attacking into or out of a forest hext reduces your attack dice to a maximum of 2 before modifiers. The flesh ripper brutes have 3 attack dice stated on their card but I removed one for the forest hex. The command card mentions adding 1 dice to the combat roll so I did to go back to a total of 3 thinking the 1 I am adding is a modifier. Is that correct? Also, if the brutes flank instead of advance do they roll the 3 dice again? 2 for the limit of the forest hex and 1 added back for the command card?

2. Second question: I played the Unrelenting lore card in conjunction with a surround command card. Surround, I believe was 2 in left and 2 in right sections. Unrelenting lets you use a flesh ripper in conjunction with the command card units. So for me in this instance it is a total of 5 units being command. The lore card says "move the brutes unit 1 additional hex and add 2 dice to each of its combat rolls". Again, if a forest hex is involved which I think it was would it be 2 (the max for the forest) and then add the 2 for the lore card? Also, the card says add 2 dice for EACH of its combat rolls. What does it mean by EACH? Does that mean IF you happen to flank initiating the second attach? And would that attack also be 2 dice +2 dice if a forest was present. If not, 3 + 2 dice, correct?

Thanks in advance everyone. We really like this game. Just want to get the rule right.

1. 3 is the correct total. And yes, on the pursuit attack they would roll 3 as well into a forest with cavalry charge.

2. The correct total here is 4 into a forest. Then is would be 4 again for the pursuit attack if any.

As another note, if you played cavalry charge with unrelenting, then you'd have 5 into forests since you'd be getting modifiers of 3 additional dice.

I'm not sure what you mean when you keep mentioning a "flank." I assume you meant the Pursuit ability, but I wasn't completely sure. I just want to make sure that you aren't adding some sort of flanking bonus or something that isn't in the rules.

I'm not sure what you mean when you keep mentioning a "flank." I assume you meant the Pursuit ability, but I wasn't completely sure. I just want to make sure that you aren't adding some sort of flanking bonus or something that isn't in the rules.

I may be wrong The Uncanny One...I thought Flank or Flanking was on their card but I see it isn't. I see Pursue there. So how does the Pursue factor in? It would be the 2 combat dice + the 2 from the lore card for the first attack and then with Pursue a second attack with 2 combat dice + 2 more for the lore card? Then I can move up to 2 more additional hexes after that based on the rule for Pursue, if I choose to move again?

Yeah, I just wanted to clarify because Flanking is an ability on the Riverwatch Riders that grants +1 die to any friendly who attacks an enemy unit adjacent to the unit with Flanking.

To answer your question about Pursue, it's important to note that Unrelenting specifically adds 2 dice to EACH attack performed by the Fleshripper Brutes unit you ordered. So it does get +2 on each attack. The sequence would go something like this ...

-Fleshripper attacks into a forest hex, reduces its combat dice to 2 because of the forest, and adds 2 dice from the lore card.

-One die is a morale (flag) symbol, so the target unit retreats 1 hex.

-Instead of advancing, the Fleshripper uses Pursue 2, which lets it move 2 hexes and then make another attack. The first hex it moved into, though, must be the hex it would normally have advanced into. So the Fleshripper moves into the forest hex.

-As part of Pursue, the Fleshripper gets a second attack. Because the Fleshripper is now in the forest, it rolls 2 dice instead of 3, just like before. Then the lore card adds 2 dice for a total of 4 dice again, just as Willange said above.

But what if you rolled 2 morale results, so the enemy retreats 2 hexes? Normally, Pursue would let the Fleshripper chase the target down and attack it again, using 5 dice this time (assuming neither unit is in a forest hex). However, in this scenario the Fleshripper moves into a forest hex for its first hex of movement. Forests make units stop moving as soon as the unit enters the forest, so the Fleshripper would not be adjacent to the target so would not be able to attack it twice. If there was still an enemy unit next to that forest hex, though, the Fleshripper could choose to attack it instead. The second attack from Pursue does not need to target the original enemy unit.

Yeah, I just wanted to clarify because Flanking is an ability on the Riverwatch Riders that grants +1 die to any friendly who attacks an enemy unit adjacent to the unit with Flanking.

To answer your question about Pursue, it's important to note that Unrelenting specifically adds 2 dice to EACH attack performed by the Fleshripper Brutes unit you ordered. So it does get +2 on each attack. The sequence would go something like this ...

-Fleshripper attacks into a forest hex, reduces its combat dice to 2 because of the forest, and adds 2 dice from the lore card.

-One die is a morale (flag) symbol, so the target unit retreats 1 hex.

-Instead of advancing, the Fleshripper uses Pursue 2, which lets it move 2 hexes and then make another attack. The first hex it moved into, though, must be the hex it would normally have advanced into. So the Fleshripper moves into the forest hex.

-As part of Pursue, the Fleshripper gets a second attack. Because the Fleshripper is now in the forest, it rolls 2 dice instead of 3, just like before. Then the lore card adds 2 dice for a total of 4 dice again, just as Willange said above.

But what if you rolled 2 morale results, so the enemy retreats 2 hexes? Normally, Pursue would let the Fleshripper chase the target down and attack it again, using 5 dice this time (assuming neither unit is in a forest hex). However, in this scenario the Fleshripper moves into a forest hex for its first hex of movement. Forests make units stop moving as soon as the unit enters the forest, so the Fleshripper would not be adjacent to the target so would not be able to attack it twice. If there was still an enemy unit next to that forest hex, though, the Fleshripper could choose to attack it instead. The second attack from Pursue does not need to target the original enemy unit.

If I may, I have other questions for rhis game that I am still unclear about:

1. Again, with the flesh ripper brutes; Does the pursue 2 get used before a counterattack with another unit?

2. Can any unit counterattack another unit if it is being attacked that turn?

3. Can a poisoned unit still attack or does it suffer any damage when it attacks?

4. A specific scenario: Daquan faction plays Darken The Skies command card. This card orders 3 Yeoman archer units. We only had 1. Card says during attack step each ordered unit that did not move during move step gets 1 additional attack. Does that mean a total of 3 attacks each with w dice rolls? 1st attack, double shot and the bonus from command card? Would rhat also mean if we did have all e units and they didn't nove that it would be 3 attacks each? 9 total? What if they eliminate an enemy on the first or second attack can they use remaining attacks on another unit. How/when would a counter be used during all this?

5.If you play Death from Above lore card can you get a lore token from a die result? Actually, can you get lore tokens from die results rolled because of lore cards?

6. On the scenario card do you get a victory point for each hex that is occupied by a Rune Golem oronly a max of 1 victory point?

7. Do you get lore on a counterattack?

8. For the FR Brutes can they use Pursue 2 in any direction after defeating an enemy unit? Can they use Pursue 2 in any direction if they aren't attacking?

9. For the scenario card, Without A Trace, it states friendly units that occupy hill or forest hexes may commit heroic results produced during a combat roll to recover 1 health. What if you roll multiple heroixs? Is it srill just 1 health recovery?

10. When commiting die results for combat is there an order to follow?

Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone has their own questions I can try to assist.

I'm happy to help out!

1. Again, with the flesh ripper brutes; Does the pursue 2 get used before a counterattack with another unit?

Pursue is only used in place of an advance, and you can only advance if you defeated the enemy unit you are attacking or forced it to retreat. A unit cannot counter if they are defeated or forced to retreat, so there will be no counter before Pursue 2 is activated. The one exception would be if a Citadel Guard used Pursue 1 against an Uthuk if that unit is an Obscene or the enemy plays Unstoppable, which allows the counter to happen before the attack. Remember that the first hex of movement for the Fleshripper Brutes unit has to be into the hex the target was originally occupying; you can't defeat a unit in front of you and then move 2 hexes to the right to attack a different enemy unit.

2. Can any unit counterattack another unit if it is being attacked that turn?

Every unit has the opportunity to perform a counter, but there are specific requirements for a counter to be made. Double check "Counters" in the Rules Reference Guide for more details. Off the top of my head, though, the requirements are

-the target unit must still be in its original hex after the attacker's attack has been completely resolved (i.e. the target can't retreat or be defeated)

-the attacker must be adjacent to the target in order for the target to counter.

Also note that only the target can counter. Other friendly units that are adjacent to the attacker and/or the target do not get to counter the attacker.

3. Can a poisoned unit still attack or does it suffer any damage when it attacks?

A poisoned unit does not suffer damage directly from being poisoned. It can be ordered, move, and attack without penalty. All poison does is allow your enemy to spend lore results to deal damage to the poisoned unit instead of gaining lore. They can only commit lore results to deal damage if the target they are attacking is poisoned. If they are attacking a non-poisoned target, they don't have the option of dealing damage to a poisoned unit elsewhere on the battlefield.

4. A specific scenario: Daquan faction plays Darken The Skies command card. This card orders 3 Yeoman archer units. We only had 1. Card says during attack step each ordered unit that did not move during move step gets 1 additional attack. Does that mean a total of 3 attacks each with w dice rolls? 1st attack, double shot and the bonus from command card? Would rhat also mean if we did have all e units and they didn't nove that it would be 3 attacks each? 9 total? What if they eliminate an enemy on the first or second attack can they use remaining attacks on another unit. How/when would a counter be used during all this?

You are correct that a Yeoman Archer ordered with Darken the Skies that does not move will get 3 attacks. These attacks do not need to be against the same unit; you could theoretically target 9 different enemies with your 9 attacks. Counters still work as normal. If a Yemoan Archer is adjacent to its target and does not eliminate it or force it to retreat, the target will get to counter. If it defeats the Yeoman Archer, the Yeoman Archer does not get to finish attacking with unused attacks. If the Yeoman Archer is forced to retreat, it may continue to make attacks.

5.If you play Death from Above lore card can you get a lore token from a die result? Actually, can you get lore tokens from die results rolled because of lore cards?

Death from Above specifically allows you to make an attack, so you could gain lore from lore results as you would with any other attack. If you are not performing an attack when rolling dice, you typically would not gain lore from lore results unless a card specifically told you that you could. Rune Blade is another example of a lore card where the dice rolled are part of an attack, so you would still gain lore from Rune Blade.

6. On the scenario card do you get a victory point for each hex that is occupied by a Rune Golem oronly a max of 1 victory point?

On B1, Damming the Muir River, it says, "Gain 1 VP for each friendly Rune Golem unit that occupies a hex containing a ford token."

On B2, Barrow Mounds of the Gatesmen, it says, "Gain 1 VP if a friendly Rune Golem unit occupies a hill hex on your half of the game board."

You'll notice that B1 specifies "for each" which means you can gain multiple VPs from Rune Golems occupying ford tokens. B2 just checks whether or not there is at least 1 Rune Golem on a hill hex. If there is, you get a single VP.

7. Do you get lore on a counterattack?

Yes.

8. For the FR Brutes can they use Pursue 2 in any direction after defeating an enemy unit? Can they use Pursue 2 in any direction if they aren't attacking?

When a unit uses pursue, it must first enter the hex that the target unit originally occupied. For Pursue 1, that is the end of the movement. For Pursue 2, they may move to any adjacent hex after that. A unit cannot move to any hex for the first movement of the Pursue ability.

9. For the scenario card, Without A Trace, it states friendly units that occupy hill or forest hexes may commit heroic results produced during a combat roll to recover 1 health. What if you roll multiple heroixs? Is it srill just 1 health recovery?

Each dice gets committed separately. If you roll 2 heroic results, you could recover 2 health. However, you cannot recover health beyond your maximum health. I think this might be a good time to explore the combat timing under Combat on page 2 of the Reference Book. After you've rolled dice and then modified them in some way, you commit dice. Dice committed for damage don't get used until step 6. Dice committed for retreats don't get used until step 8. If you commit dice for something other than damage or retreats, those results resolve in step 4, when you commit dice. If you have multiple different effects, you choose which ones to activate first. The reason I bring this up is in case you have a Blood Harvester on a hill hex in Without A Trace. If you roll 2 heroic results, do you get to lose a figure and then regain it back? That sort of depends. If you are at full health, you will attempt to recover in step 4, but you can't be cause you are still at full health and don't lose a figure until after the combat is over. If you're at 2 figures remaining, you will recover to full health, then go back to 2 at the end, meaning the recover and the loss sort of cancel each other out. The best case scenario, is probably rolling 1 heroic at 1 health and using it to recover, because you will already have rolled 5 dice before recovering, but recovering means you are no longer weak when it is time to apply damage, so you can commit both strikes and cleaves for damage.

10. When commiting die results for combat is there an order to follow?

If you commit a die to cause damage, it is applied in step 6. If you commit a die to cause a retreat, it is applied in step 8. All other committed dice are resolved in step 4 and you get to choose which ability is resolved first if there are multiple effects you are committing dice for.

Wow!!! Thanks Budgernaut! I'll look these questions over and see if some come up in our next game. Thank you again!