Kleeg's Repaints

By Kleeg005, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

I used to paint miniatures, way back when they had significant lead content. Lack of funds in college put a hold on that. Fast forward to about a year ago, when a buddy hooked me up with the plastic crack, and I decided that I might give painting another go. Now I'm working my way slowly back into this whole "Control! Control! You must learn control!" thing. With, of course, significant reservations remaining for time and cash limitations, ha ha. I am really enjoying this corner of the gaming community, and have been enjoying this particular little corner of the X-Wing community very much since I stumbled across it. And so. I thought I'd take the plunge, and add my own minor contribution to the larger universe.

This was my second repaint, an A-Wing for Dagobah Squadron, still sort of finding my feet again.

post-296321-0-93956300-1481381748_thumb.gif

Edited by Kleeg005

There's a Squad you say...? Must... Have... More... Pictures...!

Great work by the way. Glad you found us.

This was, I think, the first repaint I did. At the time, I had no inclination to fly anything other than Scum, and so wasn't so concerned with messing up an X-Wing. Still came out tolerably well.

post-296321-0-70560800-1481382121_thumb.gif

Edited by Kleeg005

Not bad for a first.

With the addition of a HWK, Dagobah Squadron was complete. If not terribly competitive. Something like 0-4, ha ha.

post-296321-0-47836300-1481382250_thumb.gif

Edited by Kleeg005

Finally, an E-Wing. Didn't make the squadron any more capable in my hands, but it is an awful lot of fun to fly.

post-296321-0-21868600-1481381456_thumb.gif

Edited by Kleeg005

The uniformity helps with a cohesive squadron look, but I think they could use some contrast to make the models a bit more unique or interesting.

The uniformity helps with a cohesive squadron look, but I think they could use some contrast to make the models a bit more unique or interesting.

Agreed. It looks pretty solid, but I'd add a brighter secondary color of some sort. Dog fighting aces need a bit of flash.

Next up was a Y-Wing. I tried to get a little more...oh, flashy is not the word I'm looking for. But it's early that will have to do, ha ha. I did try to add a little detail to this one. I don't know if it comes through in the photo (crappy phone camera), but the droid is a totally different shade of green.

15391038_1047003655425492_28839257700733

Around the same time, I undertook the K-Wing, and this was my first attempt at engine glow.

15400324_1047003628758828_16182545055299

Edited by Kleeg005

I love the StarViper, although I'm not good enough to use it to its full potential. I feel like a really good player could overcome the issues with costing and make it the monster centerpiece it should be. I'm just not that good (yet?). I think it deserves better, and as such, I will repaint it (again) someday.

15421034_1047003645425493_67562896649278

And this was my second repaint on the Scyk - the first attempt did not end well.

15355566_1047003638758827_55830681329153

And then to make a full squadron, I did up a Protectorate in a similar scheme.

15492464_1047003588758832_72095919249907

Edited by Kleeg005

And finally, the latest job. I was hesitant to start this one. No inspiration, outside of something green. Do I seem obsessed with the color green? I must be a long-lost semi-cousin of Zaphod.

zqwxncw.jpg

Edited by Kleeg005

I like the variation in different tones of the same color, but have you ever entertained the thought of adding markings or anything like that in a contrasting color?

Obviously green is your thing, but neutrals like metallics, black, grey & even white can be used as accents and you can still maintain that cohesive look without straying from your focus on green.

I think metallics, like steel, copper, or even gold can give ships with a lot of piping & greebly details like the Jumpmaster & Y-wing a +1 to their looks. Food for thought.

I have indeed given thought to detailing, particularly in metallics. I just don't yet feel confident in my ability to pull off that level of detail without throwing paint all over. That was a big part of the double repaint on the Scyk above. I feel like I am getting closer, though.

Perhaps I will attempt something of that nature on my Imperial pieces. Practice subtle retouching on ships I don't actually want to wholly repaint, and which would therefor be easier to clean up.

I have indeed given thought to detailing, particularly in metallics. I just don't yet feel confident in my ability to pull off that level of detail without throwing paint all over. That was a big part of the double repaint on the Scyk above. I feel like I am getting closer, though.

Perhaps I will attempt something of that nature on my Imperial pieces. Practice subtle retouching on ships I don't actually want to wholly repaint, and which would therefor be easier to clean up.

I'm also nervous about detailing these days, as I don't have the fine control I used to...but I've been trying out a couple of alternatives to paint & paintbrush...

...fine-tipped acrylic ink markers, and for metallics, "UniBall" pens like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Pens-Pencils-Writing-Supplies/uni-ball-Signo-Broad-Gel-Ink-Rollerball-Pen/B000WGWR3U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481661285&sr=8-2&keywords=uniball+metallic+ink+pen+um-153+gold+silver+bronze

I was lucky enough to pick up a Gold/Silver/Bronze pack which I think they may now have discontinued, but I've found the Bronze & Gold excellent for fine detailing...you do have to be careful with subsequent handling and varnishing to seal, as they take a while to 'set' [or sometimes don't depending on the surface they're used on]

I find I still have enough control with a pen to 'colour in' small details, so they may be worth trying out...if they don't work out for you, someone else in the family/friends may be able to make use of them ;)

EDIT: As an example, the front & mid-body detail on the Pursuer Class here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/221872-middys-simple-repaints-mods/page-5#entry2524871

was with the bronze, and the cannons towards the rear cockpit with the silver...cheers

Edited by ianmiddy

I'm also nervous about detailing these days, as I don't have the fine control I used to...but I've been trying out a couple of alternatives to paint & paintbrush...

...fine-tipped acrylic ink markers, and for metallics, "UniBall" pens like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Pens-Pencils-Writing-Supplies/uni-ball-Signo-Broad-Gel-Ink-Rollerball-Pen/B000WGWR3U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481661285&sr=8-2&keywords=uniball+metallic+ink+pen+um-153+gold+silver+bronze

I was lucky enough to pick up a Gold/Silver/Bronze pack which I think they may now have discontinued, but I've found the Bronze & Gold excellent for fine detailing...you do have to be careful with subsequent handling and varnishing to seal, as they take a while to 'set' [or sometimes don't depending on the surface they're used on]

I find I still have enough control with a pen to 'colour in' small details, so they may be worth trying out...if they don't work out for you, someone else in the family/friends may be able to make use of them ;)

EDIT: As an example, the front & mid-body detail on the Pursuer Class here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/221872-middys-simple-repaints-mods/page-5#entry2524871

was with the bronze, and the cannons towards the rear cockpit with the silver...cheers

That is a brilliant suggestion. Thank you, sir.

I have just two simple advices that can dramatically improve the look of your models: blacklining and drybrushing

I have just two simple advices that can dramatically improve the look of your models: blacklining and drybrushing

Thanks for the advice. I am working on my drybrushing; obviously, I have some way to go. And blacklining must remain a dream of the future, ha ha. But seriously, there are some models I like rather too much to attempt yet. One day, when I feel sufficiently cheeky, when I've had a good deal more practice at all these different, advanced techniques, I will try to paint those models.

I suppose all of these ships posted so far might be considered WIP, as much as finished products.

This is my third attempt at the Hound's Tooth. I'm still not satisfied, but I am definitely happier with it than I was yesterday. All those large, flat panels. Bah!

JTWh05v.jpg

IdiZsME.jpg

Edited by Kleeg005

Hey, I think your flying stapler looks pretty good! The rust & carbon scoring are done well. Third time's the charm, as they say.

Had a little time yesterday, so decided to add some detail to my a few of my Imperial ships. I give you (nowhere near) the Empire's finest: Viridian Squadron.

15781146_1062633947195796_51116908815592

On the board, in less harsh lighting, the effects are rather more subtle.

15747693_1062633763862481_72889647255358

I'm not sure that I will add any more weathering or other effects to this. Just seems to me that a Prototype, and the Inquisitor's ride to boot, should be clean. Even if it has been temporarily commandeered by a scrappy backwater Squadron.

15781750_1062633817195809_49685242816789

15823409_1062633860529138_79798005455717

15871531_1062633617195829_75524633246780

When it's on the table, you can hardly tell that it's been touched up.

15871756_1062633897195801_19083234652585

Still need to do some weathering/battering effects on the bomber.

The green looks great as accents on the TIEs!

Unexpectedly had the day off yesterday, and I had to do something to keep out of trouble.

WPmyYFn.jpg

yZDxvCn.jpg

Undercoated maybe half of the panels in a variety of greys, silvers, and greens, then washed twice in a jewel-tone green. Picked out some highlights and running lights while my hands were steady enough. I tried to do some silvery "battering" along the leading edges, but couldn't get it to match my mind's eye. And I'm not totally satisfied with the engine nacelles. But overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I was worried that the G1-A's big, bulbous nose would look too insectile, too much like a grasshopper's face, when painted green, but I think I avoided that, ha ha.

tnwod40.jpg

Edited by Kleeg005
fix links...again

...by this time my hands were getting a little too shaky. A little too obsessive to stop painting, however, so I'll just have to live with some imperfections.

Another thing I can identify with..."I'll just do a little more, sure I can manage it...oh darn!" (well, usually a different expression, but that'll just get censored ;) )

The paneling on the G1-A looks great - I did try a transparent green tip that Stoneface gave me, but wasn't really happy with the result - you look to have pulled it off nicely :)

Really like that Syck!

By the way, anyone know how to pronounce "Syck"? Yesterday alone, I heard it 3 different ways in separate conversations at my LGS: sick, seek & sike.

Really like that Syck!

By the way, anyone know how to pronounce "Syck"? Yesterday alone, I heard it 3 different ways in separate conversations at my LGS: sick, seek & sike.

Thanks! Much happier with this one. I believe I read in an interview that it is meant to be pronounced "seek."