Walls and Blocks too hard to destroy

By foosninja, in Wiz-War

Walls and corridors blocked by stone blocks can at time be incredibly effective spells to cast. I know that there are a number of spells that will destroy the wall or stone block, and I'm not talking about those. Of course those work beautifully, but the likelihood of having one of those in your hand is quite low, and without one, a wizard could be faced with destroying the wall or block via doing damage to them.

This seems WAY too hard to do. Walls require 5 "Cracks" and blocks require 8 "Cracks" to destroy. And each crack takes 3 points of damage to achieve. This means 15 damage to destroy a wall or 24 damage to destroy a block. This is more damage than it takes to kill a wizard!!! That seems crazy high....you would literally have to spend turns trying to blast and pound your way through such an obstacle. What I'm saying in this thread is that it seems that the amount of damage needed to destroy a wall is so high as to make it neigh impossible to accomplish. (It would surely eliminate you from contention in almost any game, if you spent the amount of spells and time it would take to destroy a wall or block.) It sees to me the amount of damage needed to destroy such an object should be lowered...1 point of damage per crack seems like a more reasonable figure. Sure I know I could house rule this, but I'm wondering if designers have already come to this conclusion and posted an official errata or update.

Has this issue been errataed or discussed in another thread somewhere?

Well, destroying a wall usually takes more damage than destroying a human being, so, I don't see as an issue that killing the block is more difficult than killing a wizard. If you go wihth 8 total damage for the block, and 5 for a wall, then a wizard is rather more resistant than solid rock. Has not much sense, in my opinion.

You're right that these spells are powerful, Thus, they should be properly played

I wasn't saying that it's "unrealistic" how much damage it takes to destroy them, it's the game impact. Some treasures are at the end of a dead end corridor. Or what if an opponent has two walls, blocks, or one each. If the trapped wizard does not have one of the limited number of spells which will destroy or allow passage through a wall, that wizard is likely to have to spend?? What? about 5-6 turns casting damage spells to get past it? That's a "Game over" situation for him.

Indeed, it is. I was only explaining the reasons of the choices. In the expansions you'll find a few new ways to crack stuff, such as Thor's Hammer, for example. Indeed they are situational, and difficult to obtain, but still. In any case, the only important thing is our final enjoyment of the game, so, feel free to houserule those however you like, or simply remove these spells from the decks :)

I like the wall spells, and if they took only a couple turns to pound through, I'd be fine with that. But that it's a near game ender if you get caught without wall circumventing spells I think makes those spells OP. I think making Cracks 1 to 1 on damage rather than 3 to 1 seems a reasonable house rule. I do think walls and blocks add "Fun and tactical" value to the game, I wouldn't want to remove them. But just tone down their impact if you get caught without counter wall/block magic to where it's "Hindering" but not "Game ending". losing 1-3 turns you could still recover from.

trust me, the walls and stones system it's one of the less discussed in my playing group. i think it's one of the few perfectly balanced rules of entire game, expansions included.

julia take this aspect in a real-game side, but i want to speak about game-mechanics implications. first of all, walls and stone block normally are designed to are UNBREAKABLE, so the fact that in WW you can destroy it it's awesome. second, although map walls, every created wall and stone block are maintained spells (if you play real WW, not child's version), so it's a choice of players to spend 1 spell slot to maintain one of these. third, shutter in the base game, a lot of stuff in MC and BF allow you to give damages like cracks, so it becomes easy to destroy. fourth, the maze are designed MOSTLY to make your play harder, and in a normal 2-points game, if you have 2 destroy wall you have almost win (depending of maze composition and other player behavior). five, one of the most efficient strategy, specially in Deathmatch games, are to build walls and other obstacle around you or your treasure. six, remember the tense you speak at the beginning, " This is more damage than it takes to kill a wizard!!!". you are right, so why you don't kill then?

walls and stone block are conceived to stay here and, if you want or need, to be destroyed, but if you want this you must work hard