Release schedule?

By Tholok, in Dark Heresy

Hi,

I have a question about release schedules.

I know the Rogue Trader game is being released next year, but what about smaller supplements?

There seems to be a shortage of news. There were enormous numbers of supplements released by BI for WFRP, so what about DH now it is published by FFG?

We've got Creatures Anathema coming out fairly soon, after that nothing's been declared.

FFG isn't BI and Dark Heresy isn't WFRP. DH was never intended to have the same volume of releases WFRP did, and we've only just finished having releases that Black Industries worked on. Also bear in mind that Black Industries only had a handful of games to release for (DH, WFRP and, towards the end, Talisman) - FFG have a LOT more, it would be unreasonable to expect them to give DH as much focus as Black Industries did.

Lower your expectations. DH under FFG is an entirely different situation to WFRP under BI, and expecting the same volume of releases will only end up with you being disappointed.

Anybody knows if the BI Character Folio (booklet) will be reprinted?

Never really got into the character folios. Never understand the need. Pay $10 for a product that gets wasted as soon as your character does.

Anyway, You also forgot to mention that we get Rogue Trader at the end of next summer. Its not Dark Heresey, per se, but it is 40KRPG. Jan/Feb is Creatures Anathema, so another DH book in the Spring and Summer just before Rogue Trader wouldnt surprise me.

It all depends on sales, it has to be worth FFG making new books in order for them to dojust that. Ill be honest, Im a big proponent of supportng BI/FFG/DH/40KRPG. Moreso then WFRP which I also love.

To prove my love nad faith in the system/setting/game/company I used Dark Heresy as my X-Mas gift to most of my gamer friends (the ones I really like that is, a few back home in Ohio and a few at Fort Meade) just to ensure that A) they play a game worth while and I approve of (Im one step away from putting my friends in a RPG Police State ruled by me) and B) to support FFG.

The hope is that they like the game and play it and that they buy the rest of the stuff themselves.

Ross gave my buddy Brien a free hardcover copy of the IHB at HeroCon and Brien then bought the GM Screen, PTU and preordered DotDG that very night.

Request your players get their own copy of the core rules (dont force them to do so however, just kindly suggest). You will be amazed at how fast we could get the # of books sold doubled. Specialty books like DotDG and CA are less likely to sel in large numbers, as players wouldbe like "nah, dont need that, I just play in the game". So some books have to be universal in appearance. New world origins, weapons, gear, careers, player options would be decent sellers.

That is why originally BI was going to release the IHB and the Inquisitor's Armoury as separate books before putting them together in one book. As two books they would be able to charge $25 each for a net of $50, but I suspect decided to merge them into 1 when they decided to close shop.

Peacekeeper_b said:

...Request your players get their own copy of the core rules (dont force them to do so however, just kindly suggest). You will be amazed at how fast we could get the # of books sold doubled. ...

I'd like to second that motion (if you'd be inclined to think of it as a motion, that is). I would add, given the state of the global economy, to try and convince your players if they are going to order one, they should do so through a local shop. This would support FFG sales and a local retailer (no, I'm not a retailer myself).

Call me a sentimental fool, but there is nothing more satisfying for me than having a favourite shop to turn to at the end of the week and organizing a game or two out of the house.

Charax said:

We've got Creatures Anathema coming out fairly soon, after that nothing's been declared.

FFG isn't BI and Dark Heresy isn't WFRP. DH was never intended to have the same volume of releases WFRP did, and we've only just finished having releases that Black Industries worked on. Also bear in mind that Black Industries only had a handful of games to release for (DH, WFRP and, towards the end, Talisman) - FFG have a LOT more, it would be unreasonable to expect them to give DH as much focus as Black Industries did.

Lower your expectations. DH under FFG is an entirely different situation to WFRP under BI, and expecting the same volume of releases will only end up with you being disappointed.

I... don't think that lowering your expectations is the answer here.

BI had promised lots of smaller books which are getting combined into larger books. Notably, there were 2 separate books for Acolytes and Equipment that got rolled into the Inquisitor's Handbook.

You also have to understand the difference in scope of the IP Liscence that FFG has with 40K from WHFRPG. the 40K liscence ONLY covers the Calixis Sector - which practically nothing in the canon is written about. This is both a blessing and a curse because everything that FFG writes has to both A) be original and B) fit in an pass the 40K IP legal department. They just can't release scads of stuff about Tau, Eldar, Orks, etc. because they aren't (according to Canon) big players in the Calixis Sector.

We've got the core book, a player's plus book, a monster's book, a heretics book, and an adventure book.

That's pretty good for a game that was released this year - and had a company transition.

Maethalion said:

We've got the core book, a player's plus book, a monster's book, a heretics book, and an adventure book.

That's pretty good for a game that was released this year - and had a company transition.

Pretty **** good if you ask me. I remember back in the day when you were lucky to have 2 or 3 major releases for your games. Heck, (I wasnt playing at this time but) when AD&D 1E came out it was 1 book a year. You ahd to wait 2 full years to get the 3 main books. You would buy the Monster Manual in 1977, wait a year to 1978 for the Players Handbook and then a second year would pass for the Dungeon Master's Guide in 1979. You had some flimsy 30 or so page modules, but if we are counting them, then we have to counter that with Edge of Darkness and Shattered Hope and the Vehicle Apocryopha.

And you forgot the GM Screen and kit and the Character Folio (which I dont count as a major release, the folio that is). All in all thats Six books/releases over 12 months and two free adventures and a free supplement on vehicles. We also use to have a nifty planet system guide, but hey. cough unearthed coughed apocrypha cough has cough posted cough the cough planets cough

So I think we are doing pretty well. If this rate keeps up we should at a full 10+ books by next year. Id say that is pretty on par with WHFRP2E

And i also think as the license expires in a few years GW will probably pull the plug like it has for so many other campainies making RPG material for them and FFG will rush to release a bunch of last minute money grabs, like adventures and simple supplements.

But in my opinion, the best thing they could do is put the xeno generator, the vehicle rules, the poison rules and a few other odds and ends together and release a real GMS kit. And this time, include the crit charts in the GMs kit.

Hi,
I’m new to post but to being that quiet kid lurking in the corner. I’ve recently jumped head first into DH and I have to say that while I’m excited about the releases thus far I would be even more so if at least a tentative look at what any future releases would be touching on. I mean, I’m a fluff fanatic. I read the official stuff and anything else pertaining to 40K in hopes of utilizing it to further the short stories I write on the subject and the game plots I play locally. I hope to see future releases that look and feel like the Inquisitor’s Handbook. The gear and character development ideas alone were worth the money asked. So, in short, a comprehensive or at least a glimmer of what’s on the plate past Creatures would keep some gamers and steady customers like myself itching for more. That itch, while not medically treatable, is something that tends to garner more revenue which is always good when developers go to pay “TEH BILLZ”.
P.S: More pictures in any new books. Not all of us can visualize that well.
...and I'm out.