Help with an expansion combination!

By Larus, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

I'm sure you must be sick and tired of this matter, but I haven't found yet a topic related to my specific problem (TL;DR at the end)

The thing is that I've been playing AH with KiY a lot lately. Me and my group are having a blast! So I'm planning on getting an expansion for this holidays. The trouble is: my supply is limited. I can only choose from the Kingsport Horror, or the Black Goat of the Woods. I haven't heard good things from this specific expansions, and, on the other hand, the KiY gets dilluted with ease from what I've heard.

So...(TL;DR)

Should I buy Kingsport/BGoTW to play with Base+Kiy, or should I save my money for something else? If it helps in anyway, I'm a roleplayer more than an strategist.

Thanks in advance!

The more expansions you play with the less special each one feels. I personally played a bunch of each with the base game before blending them with others, and then even when I play more than one expansion I will keep it to 2 plus Miskatonic Horror.

If you want a little more varity of your game play Kingsport gives you a new area to explore with a lot more flavor text for the new locations. More investigators to play with and guardians to balance the heralds.

While Black Goat makes is the Dark Young gone while story, but keeps things to Arkham proper.

I hope that helps, personally I would suggest Kingsport over Black Goat, mainly since you get much more with it and you don't already have any board expansions yet.

The more expansions you play with the less special each one feels. I personally played a bunch of each with the base game before blending them with others, and then even when I play more than one expansion I will keep it to 2 plus Miskatonic Horror.

If you want a little more varity of your game play Kingsport gives you a new area to explore with a lot more flavor text for the new locations. More investigators to play with and guardians to balance the heralds.

While Black Goat makes is the Dark Young gone while story, but keeps things to Arkham proper.

I hope that helps, personally I would suggest Kingsport over Black Goat, mainly since you get much more with it and you don't already have any board expansions yet.

I'd second this, particularly the part about the new investigators (and ancient ones). More than anything I find that that adds some nice variety to the game if you've played a lot of the base set.

Kingsport in my opinion. you get a new board and more to explore, and seeing as you say you're a role-player rather than a strategist, it's main criticism (one player wanders round Kingsport not doing all that much), probably won't bother you too much.

Kingsport in my opinion. you get a new board and more to explore, and seeing as you say you're a role-player rather than a strategist, it's main criticism ( one player wanders round Kingsport not doing all that much ), probably won't bother you too much.

I keep on reading this, and I keep shaking my head. It's an incredibly common (and huge) strategic mistake having an investigator forced in Kingsport "not doing all that much". Kingsport becomes dangerous only when you have 3 rift progress markers on the same rift track; until that point, the added board grants you one extra investigator to deal with monsters, clues and gates.

Ouch, Kingsport and Black Goat are probably the weakest of each expansion type (big box and small box respectively). I would probably recommend Kingsport out of the two. New investigators and AOs are always fun for variety but my favourite addition is the Epic Battle Cards; they make the final fight with the Ancient one more interesting than simply an exercise in rolling dice.