How do you draw from artifact deck/ get artifacts?

By Ken on Cape, in General Discussion

Playing a game with girlfriend that never played these types of games before. Doing Azathoth as he most straightforward ancient one.

First mystery is voice of azathoth. You need to get an artifact. But how do you draw from the artifact deck? Only when an encounter tells you?

Playing a game with girlfriend that never played these types of games before. Doing Azathoth as he most straightforward ancient one.

First mystery is voice of azathoth. You need to get an artifact. But how do you draw from the artifact deck? Only when an encounter tells you?

Yes. Artifacts can be gained from several of the decks, but Expedition Encounters are by far the most common source of them in the base game.

Thanks. One thing that bugged me is Artifact cards aren't listed in the reference guide at all. I'd expect something like a basic game component to have an entry. Something like:

Artifact Deck: You draw from this deck as you play when a encounter or game effect tells you to.

You draw from this deck as you play when a encounter or game effect tells you to.

This is true for all the small decks, and for all these decks it's covered in one section - "Gaining Possessions and Conditions"

Some effects instruct an investigator to gain a card (for example, “Gain 1 Artifact”). The investigator draws one card from the top of the deck matching the specified card type.

Edited by tsuma534

I understand they have a different entry for it to cover the different decks. But it should have been cross referenced under artifact deck because that's a game component.

Why clutter the rules with duplication? Under that standard, you should add entries for the asset deck, the spell deck, the unique assets deck, etc, all of which would be duplicating information already provided under the "Gaining Possessions and Conditions" section.

Because most people would want info on a game component to have an mention of the game component in The reference guide. Even if it's just something like: Artifact Deck: see "gaining possessions and conditions"

There is no entry at all and I didn't think to look under different entries since I think a game component should have its own listing.

Even if it's just something like: Artifact Deck: see "gaining possessions and conditions"

I do think this version would be good. A reference without redundancy.

Because most people would want info on a game component to have an mention of the game component in The reference guide.

I'd be careful claiming to know what "most people" would want.

Artifact Deck: You draw from this deck as you play when a encounter or game effect tells you to.

I would like that as well. I would also have liked the Rules Reference to show the cardbacks of each type of card so you don't have to dig up the Learn to Play book during the game.