Interdictor Cruiser - Community Opinions

By RebelDave, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Need a little community clarification on this one… and I am aware opinions may differ as this is all Legends based material.

AoR page 280. Interdictor Cruiser.

"Based on the Vindicator Hull" "Using technology pioneered by the Immobiliser 418 cruiser"

Wookieepedia

Is clear that the Interdictor and Immobiliser are different ships.

That the Interdictor came AFTER the Immobiliser

That the Interdictor is a variant of the Imperial I Star Destroyer. (made by KDY)

That the Immobiliser 418 is also based on the Vindicator hull. (Made by SFS)

The 'Interdictor' has a bridge tower like the Imperial I

The Immobiliser has a 'flat, platform like' bridge like the Vindicator.

Problem:

Tthe blurb in AoR NAMES the Interdictor (KDY), talks about it being based on the tech pioneered by the Immobiliser (SFS), and is based on the Vindicator Hull (suggesting it's an Immobiliser 418, NOT a KDY Interdictor)… and the image is of a SFS Immobiliser (Vindicator Hull and tower).

So… in your various opinion (and I will stress, without Dev clarification, there is not 'Right or Wrong' answer, so let's keep it civil)…. Which ship is this book representing?

A: KDYs Interdictor Cruiser

(Supported by the name and some of the blurb: "utilizing technology pioneered by the Immobiliser 418")

Or

B: SFSs Immobiliser 418

(Supported by the Manufacturer and Image, and some of the Blurb "Based largely on the Vindicator Hull)

The results could well affect what appears on the Vehicle Card I am planning for this vessel.

Many thanks!

RD

The stats are in one are in the AOR CRB book and Fly Casual. They are both old enough to be in the Oggdude character generator also.

The stats are in one are in the AOR CRB book and Fly Casual. They are both old enough to be in the Oggdude character generator also.

Sorry.... forgive me... which question are you answering? :huh:

There are already official stats for the ship, so you do not need to re-invent it

There are already official stats for the ship, so you do not need to re-invent it

I'm well aware of the stats...

As I stated in my original post, the confusion as to WHICH SHIP the book is actually describing, compared to whats detailed in the Legends material.

I'm not trying to re-invent anything, I just want opinions on WHICH SHIP the book is describing,

I misunderstood, I thought you were looking for stats

Well,originally it was its own design and then retroactively they said it was based on a pre-Victory class hull. As it first appeared in the Zhan trilogy and then later co-opted by other authors as suited their on needs. This is a major issue with most of the Legends material, as there was no strict fact checking or direction from LFL to the authors/ publishing companies. It is best just to do what you feel best, as there can be no official recomendation.

Edited by JalekZem

I misunderstood, I thought you were looking for stats

Well,originally it was its own design and then retroactively they said it was based on a pre-Victory class hull. As it first appeared in the Zhan trilogy and then later co-opted by other authors as suited their on needs. This is a major issue with most of the Legends material, as there was no strict fact checking or direction from LFL to the authors/ publishing companies. It is best just to do what you feel best, as there can be no official recomendation.

Fair enough.

But since we have Legends material, fairly well laid out, that there are two 'Gavity Well Producing, Star Destroyer Like' ships (Interdictor and Immobiliser).

In Your Opinion, assuming you have one on this matter, which one would you say FFG are detailing in their books (Since both Entries in AoR and FC are identical).

The major points of evidence are equal..

Immoiliser: Image and Manufacturer, and the line 'Based on the Vindicator Hull'

Interdictor: Name and line "based on technology pioneered by the Immobiliser"

If I am to include this ship, using FFGs stats on a card (See my older thread on Vehicle Cards), do I:

A: Re-Name it the Immobilser 418

B: Change the Manufacturer to KDY

C: Run with whatever FFG have printed, regardless of the Legends inconsistencies.

Fair enough.

But since we have Legends material, fairly well laid out, that there are two 'Gavity Well Producing, Star Destroyer Like' ships (Interdictor and Immobiliser).

In Your Opinion, assuming you have one on this matter, which one would you say FFG are detailing in their books (Since both Entries in AoR and FC are identical).

The major points of evidence are equal..

Immoiliser: Image and Manufacturer, and the line 'Based on the Vindicator Hull'

Interdictor: Name and line "based on technology pioneered by the Immobiliser"

If I am to include this ship, using FFGs stats on a card (See my older thread on Vehicle Cards), do I:

A: Re-Name it the Immobilser 418

B: Change the Manufacturer to KDY

C: Run with whatever FFG have printed, regardless of the Legends inconsistencies.

Personally, I would go with "C". If you need an explanation (i.e. you're PC's are Legends knowledgeable), you could say the duplicate is a result of industrial espionage and as a result there is a lawsuit that has been tied up in court for years.

To me it would not come unexpected if either KDY and SFS had a joint venture when building ships with gravity well generators or that the empire took a SFS-Design and gave it to KDY because of their larger production facilities.

Edited by Komrk

To me it would not come unexpected if either KDY and SFS had a joint venture when building ships with gravity well generators or that the empire took a SFS-Design and gave it to KDY because of their larger production facilities.

Potentially, but the two companies used different hulls to develop the ship, and in the Legends material, the Interdictor from KDY was meant to be superior and better designed than the Immobiliser from SFS.

Image wise, for me anyway and my cards, it throws up the interesting question... which do I use? Because the two are very different when you look at the command towers.

Potentially, but the two companies used different hulls to develop the ship, and in the Legends material, the Interdictor from KDY was meant to be superior and better designed than the Immobiliser from SFS.

Image wise, for me anyway and my cards, it throws up the interesting question... which do I use? Because the two are very different when you look at the command towers.

The immobilizer is a SFS vindicator cruiser hull retrofitted with gravity well projectors. Then KDI got the technology for the gravity systems and build die Interdictor around this systems. Is the most logical approach. A ship built on purpose to house this systems is most likely to be superior to a technology test bed based on a cruiser hull.

The stat block in AoR and FC is Silhouette 7. The Vindicator cruiser is silhouette 7 and the ISD is silhouette 8. Just based on this I feel there's no way to interpret FFG's intention any other way than the AoR/FC stat block as being anything other than the model based on the Vindicator, regardless of what they named it. IMO, use option C (since it's what's in the stat block) and use an Immobilizor 418 picture. Personally, I'd never heard of the Star Destroyer based frame before this thread. If I said Interdictor cruiser I would mean Immobilizer 418.

The stat block in AoR and FC is Silhouette 7. The Vindicator cruiser is silhouette 7 and the ISD is silhouette 8. Just based on this I feel there's no way to interpret FFG's intention any other way than the AoR/FC stat block as being anything other than the model based on the Vindicator, regardless of what they named it. IMO, use option C (since it's what's in the stat block) and use an Immobilizor 418 picture. Personally, I'd never heard of the Star Destroyer based frame before this thread. If I said Interdictor cruiser I would mean Immobilizer 418.

I'd never noticed the Immobilizer 418, but then I was used to the WEG era of information which had the Interdictor as a smaller ISD (so, in this system that would be a Sil 7 instead of a Sil 8).

I had not considered the Sil difference... nice spot!

It's leaning more towards this actually being an Immobiliser, rather than an Interdictor (By Legends standards anyway) regardless of what the Fluff in the book says regarding it.

With regards to my cards. (Assuming any of you are even aware of them).

Would you prefer it to be Exactly what appears in the books, with an Immobilser Image.

Renamed as an Immobiliser 418.

Some combination of the two

Or use an Imperial Based Hull Interdictor image?

In your position I'd run with what FFG has already printed, regardless of Legends inconsistencies. I think everyone will hold you blameless for that course.

On the other hand, if it were me, I'd probably go with the Immobilizer image, as that most closely resembles the Armada mini (which FFG calls an Interdictor).

:huh:

Which ship is pictured in the games Rebellion and Empire at War? That's the one I'd go with, personally.

Regardless of any weirdness in their fluff, I'd go with the most recognizable design; the Immobilizer 418 is more iconic that the ImpStar version, specially since it was reused for the Imperial Interdictor on Rebels. Either way, the stats already seem to be leaning this way.

I can confirm that the Armada version of the Interdictor is clearly based on the Immobiliser design.

I've submitted a question to the Devs, which will probably make whoever reads it roll their eyes and sigh.

I'd call it an Interdictor and change details to suit.

"Immobiliser" sounds like a bad Jason Statham movie.

Edited by Alekzanter

He made movies that weren't bad?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor-class_Star_Destroyer <<< This would be Sil 8, so it is not the one from FC which is Sil 7 and fits from the picture (p61) with the design from rebels which seems to be a follow up development after the 418.

And btw, the interdictor class heavy cruiser form FC is from Sienar. So I really don't get the question.Gravity well based interdiction technology is used even in the times of Kotor. The answer is it is neither the Kuat Interdictor which used an ISD hull, nor is it the 418, it is an own design.

Immobilizer_418_Size.jpg

New Design as explained by Sabine

NMHQ1t5.jpg

swm16_plastic_right.png

Edited by SEApocalypse

He made movies that weren't bad?

You shut your filthy mouth! Snatch and Lock Stock were goddamned awesome.

The same name refers to two classes of ship. There's the Interdictor Cruiser, based on the Vindicator hull, statted out in the AoR CRB and shown in Rebels, and the Interdictor Star Destroyer, based on the Imperial hull, statted out in Onslaught at Arda 1, appearing in Empire at War. They have interestingly different stats: The Star Destroyer version is basically just an Imperial with half the weapons filed off, the Cruiser version has a very different statline to the Vindicator- with no weapons beyond point defence.

lT6L7o5.jpg ETZ4R7W.jpg

VEry good spot... but if you are referring to the Eternal Wrath from OaAI, the book lists thats as being an SFS Ship, not a KDY.

Now thats possible an error on its own.

But very good spot still...