Omens or gates next ?

By ArkhamPI, in Elder Sign

Hello. My wife and I recently discovered elder signs. We current own the base game and unseen forces. I am thinking of buying an expansion for Christmas for us but I am torn on buying omens or gates . I would like some feedback on what expansion you would buy and why. Thank you

I have not played either yet but understand they are pretty much standalone as they change the gameplay and are both considered excellent. So which ever you choose will not alter your current play of core+unseen so I would say go with whichever theme you prefer.

Generally I have found opinion to suggest Gates as the slightly better one of the two.

Have you also seen the new upcoming brand new expansion too? Looks great :D

I have. The new expansion does look great. Do you know when it release ?

I have. The new expansion does look great. Do you know when it release ?

Nope only seen it in the news section, just looks great for an already excellent game :)

ArkhamPI,

it's important to know that both Gates and Omens are consistently more difficult than ES+UF; some players find those really challenging, so that I'd suggest you to start with Gates because it's easier to merge with ES+UF in case the difficulty of Gates proves being too high. Sure, hybridation is made on houserules, but there's a lot of variants posted on BGG with different solutions. Omens works on very different mechanics so that creating a hybrid with ES+UF to lower the difficulty bar is actually a lot more difficult to achieve

So, first Gates, then Omens (at least, in my view of the game)

^^ voice of extreme lovecraft-game ultimate experience there!! :)

Gates.

So that all the Museum cards don't become completely useless, I'd also venture a house rule that you play 6 gates cards plus one card from the Museum as well. If you solve the museum adventure, you get a new Museum adventure. It makes the game marginally easier, but, more importantly, you get to use all your old components too.

Gates.

So that all the Museum cards don't become completely useless, I'd also venture a house rule that you play 6 gates cards plus one card from the Museum as well. If you solve the museum adventure, you get a new Museum adventure. It makes the game marginally easier, but, more importantly, you get to use all your old components too.

That's a great idea. We will try it out. Thank you everyone